Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 223 cast bullets w/ ar15?

Boolit Bub

223 cast bullets w/ ar15?

I was shopping around for molds today and stumbled across a 55gr mold for .223. Sure they make bolt actions but i'm cerious if anyone has tried these out of an ar15 or really any gas operated semi auto.

i would assume you have to gas check or powder coat them but to be honest, i'm not sure about much more than that.. and even that.. i'm not sure that would be enough.

Can you shoot them at speeds that will allow the action to cycle and bullet not to totally jack up the barrel/threading?

Moderator Emeritus

You bet you can. I have.
    I posted in the following thread how I got there.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...elp&highlight=

Also, type "AR Cast" into custom google search for a hundred more threads on this topic.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Have heard of some guys using cast in ar powder coated with gas check and hard alloy (all to do with the pressures required to cycle the action)

Not sure what accuracy is attainable but velocities I heard are around the 2000-2100 mark with the right powder burn profile you should be able to cycle your action....well within reason.

If your ar is a racegun and tuned to let's say rifle length gas system, heavy buffer, etc...that'll be more complex. Most ars are over gassed so it should be easy with carbine gas tube and regular buffer.

Again, haven't tried it myself just passing along what I have heard from others.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I shoot the RCBS 55gr clone with H335 powder reliably every time out of my DB-15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have an 80gr NOE that I shoot out of an AR, subsonic and full power.

Boolit Master

Not to throw anyone off but "Elvis Ammo" on YouTube shoots 223 all day with nothing more than powder coat-no checks. He's a little long winded but if you can have a lil patience LOL >>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiChkhAjmzs&t=61s
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

Yes, you can do cast in an AR. Im using the Lee 225-55-RF, checked, sized .225 and lubed with #2. I recall im using 20 gr of H4895 for roughly 2000 fps. Works just fine for the 25-30 yard tactical stuff I practice.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
    Yes, you can do cast in an AR. Im using the Lee 225-55-RF, checked, sized .225 and lubed with #2. I recall im using 20 gr of H4895 for roughly 2000 fps. Works just fine for the 25-30 yard tactical stuff I practice.
    Hey Jeff thanks for the info too, never got around to trying 4895.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m impressed! You guys have really gotten those small Boolits to work. I’m still trying to get a 140gr to preform well in my 6.5mm Swede. Maybe I need to start reading up on .223 loads to get some new ideas.

Boolit Master

I am picking up my first AR next weekend. I am getting a slightly about base PSA with a 1:7 twist barrel. I am not expecting much with that twist rate, even if slowed down. This winter I am going to track down a decent 1:10 barrel to build a cast boolit upper and will stick to j-words with the 1:7.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Hey Jeff thanks for the info too, never got around to trying 4895.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    You are welcome. Based on content on this forum and a call to Hodgson, H4895 can be downloaded 40% from max charge so is a good choice working up the load, and still has enough gas to cycle the action. As i recall 19 grains worked too but may have been a little sluggish. I expect every gun might be a little different as to what it needs charge wise to cycle the action. My gun is stock outside of furniture, muzzle brake and trigger

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
    You are welcome. Based on content on this forum and a call to Hodgson, H4895 can be downloaded 40% from max charge so is a good choice working up the load, and still has enough gas to cycle the action. As i recall 19 grains worked too but may have been a little sluggish. I expect every gun might be a little different as to what it needs charge wise to cycle the action. My gun is stock outside of furniture, muzzle brake and trigger
    Have you inspected primers on spent casings for any pressure issues?

I just don't see shooting cast 5.56 out of an AR15. From what I've read, they're inaccurate and a gas check costs about three cent each, so they're expensive to shoot. May as well buy a Hornady SP, for nine cents and load standard velocity 5.56. I have a theory, that the bullet passing the gas port in the barrel, has a negative effect on accuracy. It might just be me, but I've never been able to make any auto loader, i.e. Mini 30, Garand, 7400 Rem shoot lead very well.

Boolit Master

Have you inspected primers on spent casings for any pressure issues?
    Oh yes, all good. Its a very light AR load compared to regular jacketed.

I have had some measure of success with the Arsenal 225-61 Elvis mold Hi-Tek coated. My best accuracy is with CFE223 but I'm not getting a complete burn and carbon fouling pretty bad. Need to do more testing and find a better load. 4895 was pretty good too. Not pushing either very fast.

Kraken fan #69

Not to throw anyone off but "Elvis Ammo" on YouTube shoots 223 all day with nothing more than powder coat-no checks. He's a little long winded but if you can have a lil patience LOL >>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiChkhAjmzs&t=61s
    I like watching Elvis Ammo's videos. He explains thing slowly enough that even I get it.

I needed heavy bullet for a fast twist mini-14 and it is more accurate with cast 70 grain from a NOE mold cast from Lyman #2 gas checked and powder coated than it is with jacketed 55 grain I used for years. Seldom shot it back then, expensive and not terribly accurate with 55 grain commercial. Load is Varget someplace between 23 and 24.5 grains cycled well as I recall. I haven't used it past 100 yards with that load but at that range it is accurate enough to keep them on a 6 inch target, it is after all a mini-14 so not really a long range target gun.

Not only about saving money, also about making 500 rounds when I want 500 rounds. I also think I save money, yes it does take some time to cast a bunch of little bullets. I would think 4 to 6 cavity mold would be very desirable. You will not be all that happy with a 2 cavity unless you are getting a Lee to try their bullet out before getting the larger mold. I should also say I do have a few jword on hand just because options are a good thing.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot pc'd Lee 55gn over 20gns imr4895. No gas check. 1:7 twist. Carbine length gas system. Wife loves 'em. She can spend 120 rounds ringing the steel at 100 yds without the shoulder getting sore. She can't last that long with my jacketed loads. I love 'em because they cost about $0.10. I haven't tried 'em hotter than that yet.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Whether you save money or not, if you really have the "itch" to build this ammo, you know what you are getting! Yes you can buy bulk 223/556 jacketed for less than .10 a piece but you have so much control over the results with your poured bullets. I get my COWW / LEAD for free and six hours I can cast over 8000 bullets from 70 lbs. of alloy. Sure it takes time to pour, coat, size whatever but it is rewarding.

Boolit Buddy
    I use gas checked lyman 225415, water dropped, sized 225, lubed with thompson blue angel over 20 gr of h335. Shot in 9 twist ar and 12 twist rem 700. Rem chronoed just over 2700 fps. lead is COWW+tin for fill out when needed. 2.5 in average @ 100 in both rifles.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast