RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Experiment #2 Powder Coat Success!!

Experiment #2 Powder Coat Success!!

Experiment #2 Powder Coat Success!!

Boolit Master

Nailed it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

The coat is full but thin. Bullets are .458-.460, is that OK?

Banned
    I ran my toaster oven just to see how hot it got compared to the temp I set it to. What I found is this:
    The first cycle of the thermostat always gets up to about 525 F. (I have it set at 380 F). After it runs that first cycle and is nice and warm. It stays remarkably close to the temp that I set it to.
    My guess is that the thermostat (bi metal strip) is in the side of the toaster oven. Because of this it is isolated from the actual oven and it takes a while to warm up. So the initial warm up goes much too hot.
    My solution was to just let it get to temp then throw em in. Works like a charm. I don't even watch them anymore. Set the timer at 15 min (as long as it goes) wait for the ding ... give it another 5 min and ALL IS WELL.

How thick should the coat be?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by armednfree View Post
    How thick should the coat be?
    It doesnt have to be very thick and in many cases it might even look like there is no color or you get spotty color here and there on some parts but there is clear coat there so its good. You can tell just run your finger nail and if you feel "glass" and no lead you should be good. Some colors just cover better. Red is usually really easy to work with and covers well but i just picked up bright neon green and looks like its half green half clear coat almost metalic in look but not bad looking.
    Couple things that might help. When I transfer from my BB container to toaster oven sheet I use aluminum non stick foil on the bottom and after I line them all up I use little art type brush to dust some extra powder on top to cover any missed spots. I'll have to show you pics tomorrow when i get to work but that helps with coverage if you want some additional thickness.
    I drop my tray into ice water to gain some hardness and speeds up my process since i dont have to wait for them to air cool. I really need another oven tray lol.

Great job though they look good. Now lets see how they shoot

On that I figure most with 16 grains of trail boss and a few with 52 grains of 3031. I want to see what it will do when you push them.

Boolit Buddy
    If you want thicker coat just dust them like this with a small brush:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PCSetup.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	227908

Name:	PC1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	227909

Name:	45PCcloseup.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	227910

The question is, will this coated and unchecked bullet take 1900fps the 3031 load should deliver? Reconsidering, I saw a video by FortuneCookie45LC where he used this same bullet with 54 grains H335. That should be 1800-1900 fps.

I have been using a Hornady 325 FTX on deer. I would not expect the same dramatic kill with this bullet like I have with that one. I have no idea what the terminal performance would be.
    Last edited by armednfree; 09-27-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have pushed a PC no GC that fast and faster just find the most accurate speed. Lots of buffalo were killed with a bullet going 1100-1200 fps.
    Frank G.

I just loaded 20 with 17 grains of trail boss and 20 with 55gr H335.

I find decent accuracy up to 2000fps. I haven't tried pushing faster for unchecked bullet.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    A properly coated & cured PC will handle the velocity and act as a gas check. I have fired numerous unchecked rounds up to and exceeding 3500 FPS. But you do want a thicker coat about 2 mills, as the PC is the jacket. Also with PC softer alloys work just fine. I have run PC pure lead at 1400 FPS with no leading. If you are not getting good coverage bullet contamination, humidity, choice of powder are the most common problems. I would also recommend using silicone baking mats to cook on as they do not need to be replaced. My local Costco sells these mats in a 3 pack for $12 or they can be found on Amazon. They are easily cut to size.

A silicon mat probably wouldn't stand up to the temperatures of what I use. My mat is made to be non-stick and to go directly under an electric oven heating element which operates at 1600 degrees. .The bullets leave no imprint on it at all and what spillage gets on it simply flakes off. It is called Range Kleen Non-Stick oven liner.

Name:	61RXW3uSiNL._SX425_.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	227936

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    A properly coated & cured PC will handle the velocity and act as a gas check. I have fired numerous unchecked rounds up to and exceeding 3500 FPS. But you do want a thicker coat about 2 mills, as the PC is the jacket. Also with PC softer alloys work just fine. I have run PC pure lead at 1400 FPS with no leading. If you are not getting good coverage bullet contamination, humidity, choice of powder are the most common problems. I would also recommend using silicone baking mats to cook on as they do not need to be replaced. My local Costco sells these mats in a 3 pack for $12 or they can be found on Amazon. They are easily cut to size.
    Have you used any no-lube-groove boolits for PC? Is there any difference in their performance?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by armednfree View Post
    A silicon mat probably wouldn't stand up to the temperatures of what I use. My mat is made to be non-stick and to go directly under an electric oven heating element which operates at 1600 degrees. .The bullets leave no imprint on it at all and what spillage gets on it simply flakes off. It is called Range Kleen Non-Stick oven liner.

Name:	61RXW3uSiNL._SX425_.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	227936
    Range Clean - maximum Temperature 500 degrees. Silicon Baking Mat - maximum Temperature 500 degrees. My mats go under 220V heating elements at full power when coming up to temp 400 degrees.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Have you used any no-lube-groove boolits for PC? Is there any difference in their performance?
    The only no groove bullet I have tried was a 30 caliber and accuracy was poor at 100 yards due to non-concentric bullets. So that wouldn't have changed whether it had grooves or not.
    I am going to do a Ransom Rest test of some no groove 9mm & 45 handgun bullets soon, but I would expect the accuracy to be about the same. I guess I will find our soon as I will be coating & sizing in the next few days.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Yes, but I'm still doing load development. So far, in my Savage M10, Arsenal 309-188PCs will, essentially, match the 2 MOA accuracy of RCBS 30-168SILs in my old M700 at a slightly (5%-6%) higher velocity. (Due to its very tight chamber/throat, 168SILs will not chamber in my M10 without seating with the GC well below the case neck.) However, I think the rifle will do better than what I've achieved so far. Using pull-down M118s and H4895, loaded into Fed. comm'l cases, it's easily capable of sub-MOA (off sandbags). Probably a fluke, but I've got one 200-yd group (10 shots) that measures just over 1.6" CTC...with 6 of the 10 clustered tight enough to cover with a bottle cap.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

A rose is a rose