MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Help with 358 Win loads for small game/plinking

Boolit Buddy

Help with 358 Win loads for small game/plinking

I am working on getting some components for my 358 Win. Along with my regular hunting bullets I was looking at something for small game and plinking. First of all, I have never shot small game with reduced rifle loads, so I am not even sure what bullets are suitable. I was looking at purchasing from the cast bullet shop. The one I was considering was from a magma mold and was the M38-158-RNBB. Would that work for small game? I know it is a round nose but I assume things like melpat matter very little on small game. I was hoping to run these at 900-1100 fps for an easy shooting load. Anybody do this? And I read the thread about the 10 grain unique being a good powder for gallery loads, so was thinking of starting there. If I do use that, would you all use a filler? If I remember, there are some people who complain about a ring in the chamber that develops when using dacron. Is this something to worry about?

Ive been shooting the 358429 (170 grain swc) I bought for my 357 in front of 11 grains of 700x . Its been very accurate at 100 yards in a BLR 1:12 a rebarreled mauser 1:14 and my re-bored 680 1:16. Doesn't feed perfectly in the blr.

Moderator Emeritus

I bought a 356 with this in mind and found 18" vertical distance between groups at 100 yards with my plinking and hunting loads. The problem is finding small game at the exact range you know your distance drop is at. It is OK if you change sights on a small game hunt but not if you want to use it while big game hunting.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Super Moderator

I'd start with your 158 grain pistol boolit at 5 grains of Bullseye, and work up to 7 or so. This should be in the velocity range you are looking for. These gallery loads can be surprisingly accurate, even out past 50 yards.

No filler needed for 10grs Unique. I'm using 9.5 in my 8x57mm with grins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Not so much for small game although it would work well , But I just load my 35 Rem with either the Lee 200, RD 190 or the Lyman 358315 with 15-16 gr of 2400 for easy on the shoulder loads . I've never gotten my rifle to shoot pistol bullets as well as regular weight rifle bullets
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    I am working on getting some components for my 358 Win. Along with my regular hunting bullets I was looking at something for small game and plinking. First of all, I have never shot small game with reduced rifle loads, so I am not even sure what bullets are suitable. I was looking at purchasing from the cast bullet shop. The one I was considering was from a magma mold and was the M38-158-RNBB. Would that work for small game? I know it is a round nose but I assume things like melpat matter very little on small game. I was hoping to run these at 900-1100 fps for an easy shooting load. Anybody do this? And I read the thread about the 10 grain unique being a good powder for gallery loads, so was thinking of starting there. If I do use that, would you all use a filler? If I remember, there are some people who complain about a ring in the chamber that develops when using dacron. Is this something to worry about?

If I am interpreting your considered bullet...it is a bevel base? IF so , try and find a plain base if you can. My experience with BB bullets is lack of accuracy. The rest of your plan looks good.