Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought two boxes of Remington ammo loaded with three different primers!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Just bought two boxes of Remington ammo loaded with three different primers!

Well, I didn't...I was with when I talked my buddy into buying two boxes of 180gr of core locts from farm and fleet. I normally reload for him but he shot up all his ammo and this was a brand new rifle he bought a few weeks ago and wanted to get it sighted in. Guess I'll tell him to open the boxes next time for inspection. We didn't notice till yesterday when I sighted his rifle in. He saved the receipt and I called Remington for him since he doesn't reload and would not know there are different burn rates when changing primers.

Remington customer service told me they have already had several calls and called their plant to confirm all the primers are the same but just different colors. The rep told me he reloaded for 47 years and this was alright. I told him I've been reloading for two decades and if these primers were not the same its not alright. He reassured me the primers were all exactly the same with same burn rates but the finish was different.

I call BS and I'm sure they have the ammo down loaded enough that the ammo is not going to be over pressured by changing primers.

I haven't bought factory loaded Remington ammo since 99' and now I know why. I'm sure they tried to save a couple of bucks on mismatched primers and want to save hundreds of thousands on a ammo recall.

What do you think? Whether it's true or not it's shotty workmanship. If it were me I'd feel like I bought a box of ammo from a first time reloaded that cobbled some ammo together to shoot.

The color doesn't mean squat.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Moderator Emeritus

a couple of them have an interesting "witness" mark on the case head around the primer pocket edge...Something wrong there, IMHO.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    a couple of them have an interesting "witness" mark on the case head around the primer pocket edge...Something wrong there, IMHO.
    Didn't notice that till now. It's like military lake city brass dimples on a few casings. I bet they had the casings laying around pre primed and mixed them in with the normal production. There are three variances of primer colors in both batches and in the box above three different distinct markings on the casings. So much for the same "lot".

Boolit Master

That is definitely screwed up. Some of those case "heads" look like they are rejects.

Maybe they were odd lots cobbled together by some REM employee's that got shipped by mistake.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Looks like a gunshow special. I'd return them, definitely wouldn't want to shoot them. Kinda makes you wonder what powder is in them, too.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I called Remington back and talked to someone else. They want them back. Remington is sending fedex directly to my firiends house to pick them up for inspection and replacement

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like 4 different primers to me. looking at color and profile.
    Definitely send them back.
    I would also include a written compliant on the first idjet you talked to. Iy you don't have a name, a date and approximate time and some idea of the conversation.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Master

I have a few boxes I haven't opened yet, reckon I better look!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

I called the place he bought the ammo from to give them a heads up. I was told they would be inspecting all their Remington ammo and pulling it off the shelves if they find any mismatched primers and calling The manufacturer.

Boolit Master

I bought some Winchester White Box 9mm ammo this summer that ha messed up primer pockets. Had some other friends who have gotten some really questionable looking WWB ammo as well. I guess Federal is still safe and reasonably priced.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

Thats defiantly odd! It sounds like Remington is going to take care of you, even though the first guy was less than helpful.
    Last edited by lightman; 09-28-2018 at 03:17 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Typical bean counter screwup. It worked out for pure profit on paper, and in a bean counters head that's all that counts.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

I only shoot my handloads. That way if there is a screw up i know who to blame.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Typical bean counter screwup. It worked out for pure profit on paper, and in a bean counters head that's all that counts.
    That was my guess. I'm sure when they closed the last facility or facilities there was a ton of left over pre primed brass and it all got thrown into one pile. I wouldn't be worried about lot numbers with Remington ammo any more. Good thing I reload.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    The color doesn't mean squat.
    I concur.....the color is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by avogunner View Post
    I concur.....the color is meaningless.
    If there wasnt a 1.5" POI group variance tween the gold a silver primed ammo I'd agree. These two primers are definitely made with different burn temps.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-26-2018 at 07:04 PM.

Factory ammo? What's that?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Back in the day only Remington had brass colored primers. Winchester, CCI and Federal were nickel plated color. Different colors in the same lot? Unacceptable. Some may be regular; some may be Magnum strength. To do that in one's loading room wouldn't fly, why accept it from the "Pros"?

In Remembrance

The last factory ammo I bought for a rifle was back in the early 1970`s and it was only 1 box of Winchester ammo for my 7mm Rem. Mag. It has been handloads ever since for all my rifle shooting.Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast