Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: New Miroku 1873

Boolit Buddy

New Miroku 1873

A few weeks ago I purchased a Winchester (Miroku) 1873 Deluxe Sporting in .44-40 Win. I always worry when ordering firearms over the internet (though I've only had one bad experience). I was pleasantly surprised when this one arrived, it had pretty good case color on the receiver, lever, shotgun buttplate and forend cap, not the best case coloring I've ever seen but real nice for a factory gun. But it had some of the best wood I've ever seen on any reproduction 1873!

Buttstock:

Forearm:

Case Color:

Out in the desert where she belongs:

It'd inline for some upgrades. Namely a reproduction of the Rocky Mountain front sight in german silver (because I really hate bead front sights) and a tang rear sight of some sort because I'n not a fan of barrel mounted rear sights (I'd like a vernier type but I'm having trouble finding one). But be that as it may I finally had some time to go out and put some rounds through her today. It was shooting a little to the right but that's an easy fix once I get a new front sight for it. I was shooting factory Ultramax 200 grain RNFP, not sure if that is a gas checked bullet or not (a assumed not but the barrel was very clean when I got home only needing a quick pass to clean it up). Components as well as loaded ammo is as rare as hens teeth around here so for now I have half a box of the Ultramax left and then I'll need to start ordering reloading supplies.

Anyway here's the results of todays test shoot at 30 yards.

Standing unsupported, aiming point was the 2/3 of the way up the left edge of the target (target is a 3"x3" square equally bisected).

Right target is the same as above. Left target is off a redneck bench rest (tailgate), aiming point for the first two rounds (lower two) was the bottom left corner of the target then for the last three rounds I aimed at the center line still on the left edge.

I haven't fired offhand for quite some time and it was apparent to me watching my sights bobble I need to get back to it! It was also apparent that I'm getting older and my eyes aren't what they used to be. I am impressed with the rifle, less so with myself. When I first got the rifle the first couple times working the action were a little gritty but that went away by the 5th time I worked it. Took it apart to polish and clean things up inside and was surprised to find that nearly every point was already polished! I was already a fan of the quality of Miroku firearms but it seems on these 1873's they are upping their game. This is by far the slickest lever gun I've got and the nicest factory trigger on a lever gun I have as well. I'm no stranger to taking apart a new lever action to stone the trigger and other contact points, I can honestly say this one didn't need any help. Might need a short stroke kit if you want to shoot really fast but out of the box I think it's one of the if the the nicest 73's you can get these days.

Banned
    Very nice!

Wow...that's a sweet looking rifle. I'd be proud to display that wood for sure. For me, I don't think it would see much action. I'd be afraid of scratching it. As a hunter, my guns see a lot of icy hills, hardwood tree knocks, accidental stumble drops...etc.

It does look like it patterns well...it just needs a little tweak to get it shooting more to the left.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Banned

That is a beauty.
    Good for you
    I agree, short of ordering a tuned short stroke rifle, no 73 comes from the factory in better shape than the current production Winchesters

Boolit Master
    HawkCreek, I bought the same Win M73 Deluxe rifle only in 45 Colt. I fired it for the first time today.
    I have a question about the trigger. My trigger has a lot slack or creep to take up before it feels solid. I don’t know if that is typical of the M73 design or if I have a trigger that needs adjustment.
    Does your trigger have a lot of pre travel before it feels solid?

I was pleased with my groups. Shot a 57 yds (laser measured) I was getting 3” ten shot groups but my old eyes had a lot of trouble getting the front sight into that tiny square notch down in the bottom of the semi buckhorn rear sight.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 09-29-2018 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Buddy
    Greenjoytj, yes mine also has a lot of pre-travel in the trigger but once you're past the take up it's got a real nice trigger pull. I double checked my other Miroku lever guns (a 71, 92 and three 95's) and they do not have the long pre-travel so maybe it is inherent to the 1873 design? I can't compare to other 1873's as this is my first.

Boolit Bub
    mine is fine although the bore looks like **** through my borescope with lines independent of land and groove all the way down the bore. i also have a 357 73 that has a much better looking bore. also my 44 40 fouled horribly with 427 bullets and wouldnt shoot right till i used 429 although i had read it was for 427 bullets i think thats wrong. mine also has the trigger flop it doesnt bother me i like it

Boolit Bub
    i shouldnt call it flop its not flop its like a two stage with a long light first stage its a very nice gun

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruts View Post
    i shouldnt call it flop its not flop its like a two stage with a long light first stage its a very nice gun
    Your right “flop” is not a good description of the Miroku built Winchester M73. My new M73 trigger pull presents as a long pre-travel that’s lightly spring loaded (the trigger will return to its rest position if the finger pressure is relaxed) then stops abruptly, continued pull pressure on the trigger fires the rifle and that part of the trigger pull is pleasantly light and crisp, it feels as good as my M70, Rem and Ruger rifles.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 09-29-2018 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Spelling

I recently got a Miroku 73 Winchester myself. Mine is a Davidsons special run with a 16 inch barrel, 45 Colt, full length mag tube and the carbine sights that include the ladder rear sight with the very narrow square notch in the base sight as well as the ladder slider. I opened these notch's so more light is visible on either side of the pinned blade front sight.

I love mine trigger and all. I also took it to parade rest and found all rub surfaces to be nicely polished and greased with what appears to be white lithium grease.

I had loaded 50 rounds with 3Fg Old E powder and loved the shooting at around 35 yds. Very impressed with mine except i really wish it were 44 WCF like yours. My 45 Colt cases smudge with powder blow by so will try annealing them to hopefully help seal against the chamber walls and thusly keep the blow by of black powder in check.

I could hit those shotgun pucks at that range almost every time off hand and every time from a rest.

Your rifle is just a beauty. Love the wood both front and rear. Your trigger is indeed a 2 stage trigger. It has the trigger AND the fly which engages the sear. The trigger needs to have the slight slack taken up first that enables it to begin the fly/sear let off. May be a workaround for this slack take up but I also have a 38 WCF model 73 built in 1889 i think with this exact same system so maybe it is a '73' thing.

Good luck with your gorgeous rifle. Waiting to read more about your experience with these slick rifles.

Boolit Master

Really nice rifle. wood is gorgeous. I have a Miroku .357 short rifle that I love. I have a tang sight on mine. Action is very slick and always has been. This is my third Miroku gun, all have been impeccable quality (mod 53 Win 32/20, "Browning" citori 16 ga , and "Win" mod 73 short rifle). This ain't no Rossi!

Boolit Master

Ultramax ammo is loaded for Cowboy Action Shooting and OLD guns. So no gas checks. Illegal in SASS in pistol length cartridges.

Nice wood. I believe in accuracy, bead sights provide a better sight picture. IMHO
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Bub
    Great looking 73.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks everyone! It may not have the range of other rifles but this is one of the nicest looking rifles I own. Just wish ammo was easier to find, it's hard as heck to even find components out here. Hope to start attempting to work up loads for it soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Ultramax ammo is loaded for Cowboy Action Shooting and OLD guns. So no gas checks. Illegal in SASS in pistol length cartridges.

Nice wood. I believe in accuracy, bead sights provide a better sight picture. IMHO
    Thanks for the clarification on the Ultramax ammo. I figured it was loaded more for pistol length barrels but that was more of a guess.

I couldn't disagree more about the bead sights being good target sights. Give me a square post or blade every time but if the beads work for someone else more power to them. They just dont work well for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkCreek View Post
    I couldn't disagree more about the bead sights being good target sights. Give me a square post or blade every time but if the beads work for someone else more power to them. They just dont work well for me.
    I put Skinner front blade sites on all my rifles.
    I have 6 Miroku Made Winchesters in my safe. 3 x 94's, 2 x 92's and a 73. I love them all.
    They all get Skinner Front blades. Rear sights are a mix of Skinners, Marbles BullsEye, Marbles Tang and Williams With Target knobs, depending on the rifles intended use.

Beautiful rifle, except the huge Winchester sticker on the tube. That's gotta go. (if it were mine)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    Beautiful rifle, except the huge Winchester sticker on the tube. That's gotta go. (if it were mine)
    yup !! me too - that sticker is just butt ugly

Boolit Master
    I peeled off that Winchester sticker on the magazine tube during the first (pre firing) cleaning.