Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Bore Regret..?

A buddy of mine had a guide gun and traded it for the 1895CB. Likes it better because of less recoil. I have the 1895SS with pistol grip, shotgun butt, 1/2 mag. and 22” barrel. Wonderful combination with a 350 grain bullet at 1300 FPS with unique. I can shoot 50 at one outing but seldom do. Oh, I do have a leather wrap recoil pod on it. Looks period and works.

Truth be told, I am shooting far more 170 grain bullets at 1600 FPS in 30-30 and 200 grain bullets at 1500 FPS in 35 Remington.

Boolit Master

Back in 1971, My DAD promised me the Gun of my choice when I got home from Recruit Training. The day after I got home we stopped by New York Hardware in downtown L.A. They had a MARLIN Sporter in the rack with a Scope in .444, 24" bbl with Monte Carlo stock. Two boxes of ammo and a trip to the range the next day. I didn't think recoil was bad at all from the bench. DAD promised some of the new HORNADY 265gr bullets, for reloading when I got home from Basic HM School. Didn't get back until '74, Bunch of great guns stolen in burglary 2 weeks before.
    That version was no longer made. Got a 1895 in .45-70 a few years later. Shot the 405 Remington factory load and reloaded with the 350gr or 300gr HORNADY bullets.
    Put a WILLIAMS Fool Proof Receiver sight and a 1/8" Brass bead. IMR3031 made for some stout loads. Killed a lot of pigs with it.

Much later, into Cowboy Action Shooting, I got a 1895CB when they first came out. Lots of fun log-splitting with the LYMAN #457122 HP. Williams tang sight & 1/8" Brass bead. Great shooting rifle.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I have no problems selling a gun I don't use much for whatever reason.

A CZ 9,3x62 was unpleasant to practise with,something strange about the ergonomy / fit. A 500 S&W revolver was too noisy,the brake eventually got irritating. Just to name a few.

I shoot a Marlin 1895 SBL now and it seems to fit me good,feels like it is taming the recoil to a very tolerable level. Compared to my earlier Marlins,that is. I also shoot 22LR a lot in every form, they keep the flinch away.

Boolit Master
    I seldom shoot any bullet over 300 grains in my 45-70, a straight-grip Marlin 1895 bought new in 1980. It has killed well over a dozen elk with the 300 grain Barnes Original at 2100+ fps. Recoil is most unpleasant, but trajectory about like a full load 30-30. For fun a 300 grain like the RCBS 45-300 FNGC or a 300 gr plain base commercial cast like the Lasercast is used over a light charge of 5744, 4227 or Reloder 7. A recoli pad is advised, Kick-Eez or Limbsaver, save the unpleasant loads for serious hunting. I HAD a 454424 that threw way oversize (.458) 260 grainers that were really pleasant and quite accurate to shoot with 4227. Bullet weight is your enemy for fun shooting. Can't comment on Trailboss, but lighter bullets are more fun, easier on the shoulder, use less lead, still make .45 holes and kill just fine.

Boolit Bub
    I don't know maybe you need to step up, if you want to shoot a rifle. My 13 year old son shoots my 35 whelen with a plastic buttplate 250gr factory loads ,he weights 90lb. He laughs and asks for more.

Boolit Bub
    If you want to it's easy

Boolit Bub
    If you don't you won't.

Boolit Bub
    You should try my ...

Boolit Bub
    If all you are going to do is shoot deer then get a 357 or a 44.

Quote Originally Posted by 3856imp View Post
    I don't know maybe you need to step up, if you want to shoot a rifle. My 13 year old son shoots my 35 whelen with a plastic buttplate 250gr factory loads ,he weights 90lb. He laughs and asks for more.
    Wait till he's 40 and has to have shoulder surgery. I don't think he'll laugh at that. Why troll at all?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I hate pain so I load to trapdoor levels .used to like big bangs and recoil but we get wiser with age.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3856imp View Post
    Weighing 90 pounds he can roll with the punches much more easily than a larger person. I'm 6'3/296 and my shoulder absorbs every bit of recoil.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

When I got a 1895 on trade in was like new. The first thing I did was to take a lot of wood off butt and forearm. Slimming it down to flush with action like the old Marlins & Wins. When I took off the
    butt plate I found a surprise. Previous owner had a recoil absorber in the stock, the type Trap shooters use in shotguns. I didn't put it back in. The 95 recoiled a little more, that could be because I
    reduced the area of butt by at least 25%. I only use it to hunt so I only get booted good when tuning it up off the bench.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Most our 5 months up here this time a 8 pound Ballard #2 caliber 50-100 Winchester was with me near every trip to the range.
    From a 285 grain up to a 450 grain cast all sized .512 was sent down range. Out to 100 yards it is a deadly fun shooter for what ever needed to be ventilated. I failed to try any round ball or the 145 grain "button cast" for bunny loads but have little doubt they will deliver the needed light weight punch when needed. The 285's shot so well with 1F and 12 grains of Unique they seemed to fill everything needed.
    The narrow steel shoulder massager is the only issue that reminded me from time to time that a flat shotgun rear stock would be a future change for summer carry.
    So hey if I had to be one rifled... that caliber 50 is a prime candidate. Gophers to buff with one 8 pound 30 inch barreled rifle which may be more accurate that our 50 Alaskan 86 Winchester wants to be. Today I weigh all of 146 pounds clothed.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I had a 45-70 CB rifle with a 26" barrel. It was too darn light weight and miserable to shoot even at BP levels. Now have a Marlin DB in 38-55 and even with hotter loads and with the bullets that come out of the mold at 287 grains it is much more pleasurable to shoot. Really doubt if there is anything that it will not handle well. I still have a Rolling block in 45-70 that weighs in at over 10 pounds, and may get it ready with BP again. Shot a deer once with the Gould bullet and it ran a bit like they tend to. Nothing fantastic. They do about the same with a 30-30. Only DRT's I get consistently are with CNS shots or breaking them down with both shoulders taken out.

DEP

I used to sight in rifles for friends, then have them shoot two shots and make final adjustments as needed. Back then I weighed 150 in the summer and 160 in the winter. To me, the real recoil beasts were the .300 Wby, 7mm STW, 8mm Rem Mag, with the nastiest being the 30-378. They hit you fast and hard. The .358 Norma, .375 H&H, .458 Win, and Ruger 45-70 loads I could roll with. Now I'm fatter and older with an expensive rebuilt shoulder so I use a slip on Limbsaver pad for anything that kicks. That's why I love CB loads - they make shooting fun.
    If I want pain, I'll just go pick a fight with one of my bulls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	458-260 WFN.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	230572

Some day I need to get me another 45-70 just because this mold deserves one.

Boolit Grand Master

Howdy Good Cheer
    What mold is that.. Looks like it would take care of 70% of all hunting needs or imagined.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    The 45/70 is not for everybody. It is at it's best with heavy bullets but heavy bullets equal heavy recoil. If it's not fun to shoot sell it and get a lighter caliber such as a 38/55 or even a 357 magnum. If you still like a 45 caliber then look at a 45 Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye Bly View Post
    The 45/70 is not for everybody. It is at it's best with heavy bullets but heavy bullets equal heavy recoil. If it's not fun to shoot sell it and get a lighter caliber such as a 38/55 or even a 357 magnum. If you still like a 45 caliber then look at a 45 Colt.
    Often what we see here is shooters downloading 45-70 to hotter 45 colt levels. Can’t agree more with the above statement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast