Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners

Thread: .30-30 110 grain loads

Boolit Master

.30-30 110 grain loads

I know there are quite a few threads on using 110 grain bullets or thereabouts for the .30-30, just wondering if anyone has actually used them, thinking of working some up for coyote/varmint rounds.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Master

Never used a 110 grain in the .30/30 but I had a bunch of Lyman #311465HPs left over from .30 Carbine testing and loaded a batch for plinking in the .30/30. They turned out to be the most accurate cast bullets I've ever shot in a .30/30. Mine weigh 122.2 grains ready to load. Naturally, I loaded a big batch./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

They will work great for varmit loads. However do not and i mean do not use them on deer. If you want to keep the meat anyway. The 110gr hp speer is a freaking bomb when it hits. I loaded some for my cousin so his son could hunt when he was 7. He made a perfect shot and it still busted the guts.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I use 110 gr pointed bullets in my Little Sharps rifle. Shoots great, same sight settings with it at 200 as 311041 cast zero at 100. I dont remember load data, but I think it is from hornady manual-around 2600 fps. I havent drawn blood with them but they should be good on varmits.

I have shot a lot of 110s out of 30/30s. The Speer 110hp I loaded 37.0gr IMR-4064 at approx 2700 fps. It's called Varmiter, and that's what it's for. I do believe that there is a warning on this bullet not
    to use in tube magazines. Also used a lot of Sierra 110gr FMJs with same load. Grouped well but not a good bullet for game or varmits. My main 30/30 is a Marlin 336 but loads were tested in Savage model 340 & 219 also. Don't fire hot loads in Win 1894. Shoot a lot of Horn. 1/2 jackets at LV to
    plink and use on small game. Only running them 1200fps range velocities. Just bought a couple boxes of Horn 90gr XTPs. Going to see how fast I can push them. Don't know if they will group but
    if they do will be a bomb on varmits.

Boolit Grand Master
    17.5 grains of 2400 and a cast 311-316 (mine rubs about 112 grains) will put paid to any coyote you can find. 2-3 inch groups with iron sights. I shot many hundreds of these a few years back.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have a two cavity mold that one cavity casts a plain base and the other a gas check flat nose that fall around 115 - 117 grains. I have tried a number of powders but always go back to Red Dot. I shoot them out of my Winchester 94 "Ranger" and my vintage Marlin 336SC. They work great at 25 to 50 yards. My loading data for them is back in MI but IIRC, I used the starting load for that approximate weight that was in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook - 3rd edition.

When powder was in short supply, I was about to buy a 8lb jug of RedDot and I use it for just about everything at times - 38s, 45 Colt - the 30-30 and my old 1905 Danzig GEW98 8mm with lighter weight boolits.

Check the Lyman CB Handbooks and you'll find a variety of powders - BE, RD, GD, Unique and then start to play and have fun. The lighter weight boolits make great "can killers" as well as use for small game and critters.

Boolit Master
    My Mossberg 30/30 loves the 130's from that plain base Lyman mold using Trail Boss (80% load for 1300 fps). It does the job on coyotes out to 100 (best my eyes can do even with the Skinner sight) and keeps the gong ringing at 200. In a couple weeks as soon as bear season is over I will be trying the 130 HPGC from my new Mihec mold and I will bet they are even better.

Been experimenting with the NOE 311-118-RF in various .30-30's. This cb is a replica of the well-known Lee "soup can." My NOE drops plain base and gas check from the same mold.

Occasionally I get decent groups with Herco or Green Dot but have not yet been able to find consistency in groups. Need more work on this.

Nothing wrong with bullet - they shoot remarkably well in my .30-06.

Picking up on gullbilly's post, I believe I'll try Trail Boss in the .30-30's and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    17.5 grains of 2400 and a cast 311-316 (mine rubs about 112 grains) will put paid to any coyote you can find. 2-3 inch groups with iron sights. I shot many hundreds of these a few years back.
    Rin, your 2-3 inch groups - what range?

Boolit Grand Master
    My face is red, but What I thought was 100 is actually 75.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Speer makes a 30 cal varminter bullet. Good bearing surface on the body short nose and a flat point with hollow point. Good for cheap practice and small game or plinking. Frank

Boolit Master
    I have an H&R Topper in 30-30 that refuses to group any bullet weight of 150 grains or higher. One day I loaded some 110 FMJ bullets for this rifle just to make noise and smoke (think cabin fever cure). The rifle that had given me shotgun patterns suddenly gave rifle groups. Now I carry that rifle (bad weather duty) with Sierra 125 grain flat point / hollow point bullets (product #2020 I think) over a healthy dose of H335. Broadside shots into deer pass through and their run distances top out at 40 yards when I place the shot well. This is the fastest and tightest grouping load combo I have found so far for this rifle, YMMV.

Boolit Bub
    in my rifle 21 gr. of n110 will put the 110 gr bullet to the same place as 150 gr. factory rounds at 100 metres