Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1903 Springfield remilitarized

Boolit Master
    Beagle, my Father was stationed in Panama during WW2. He carried one of the so called Bushmaster 03 rifles. I have a picture of him setting on a Jeep hood with one on his lap, you really can't tell but he told me that's what it was. The first time I heard about it was in the mid 60's, we were in a gun shop, he picked up am 03 and explained what was done.

The rifle was cut back to about 18 in., the fore stock shortened and sight replaced. He said it shot well but was sighted for a shorter range, I think he said they shot at 100 yds. Said the thing was loud. The command wanted a carbine but none were available so the 03 was altered. They were not experimental but made for a purpose and eventually dumped in the ocean. There were about 4500 or so made. His platoon's rifles were replaced with Thompson Subs as they became available.

Just a little of his history if you don't mind. He was from NC but was sent to Panama with the 150th WV National guard. The original Bushmasters were the 158th Regimental Combat Team , they were shipping out to the South Pacific. They had a Jungle Platoon that patrolled the canal looking for enemy observers watching the canal. When they asked for volunteers to replace the platoon he joined them. They scouted the canal, trained in camo, jungle warfare and tested new equipment. He was in Panama from early 42 till 44 and was sent to Camp Blanding Fla. to instruct trainees in jungle warfare.

Sorry about the off topic but it got me to thing about my Dad, he passed at age 93 in 2013.

Dave

That’s good shooting Larry. If things ever dry out enough I’ll walk off 100 yds into the field behind the house and see what my rebuilt Springfield can do. I can only get about 60 yds into the corner of my property. If you look in the upper center of my Krag Bowie bayonet build pix you can see my 60 yd backstop. There’s an ar500 gong hanging there. The corns gone now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    Beagle, my Father was stationed in Panama during WW2. He carried one of the so called Bushmaster 03 rifles. I have a picture of him setting on a Jeep hood with one on his lap, you really can't tell but he told me that's what it was. The first time I heard about it was in the mid 60's, we were in a gun shop, he picked up am 03 and explained what was done.

The rifle was cut back to about 18 in., the fore stock shortened and sight replaced. He said it shot well but was sighted for a shorter range, I think he said they shot at 100 yds. Said the thing was loud. The command wanted a carbine but none were available so the 03 was altered. They were not experimental but made for a purpose and eventually dumped in the ocean. There were about 4500 or so made. His platoon's rifles were replaced with Thompson Subs as they became available.

Just a little of his history if you don't mind. He was from NC but was sent to Panama with the 150th WV National guard. The original Bushmasters were the 158th Regimental Combat Team , they were shipping out to the South Pacific. They had a Jungle Platoon that patrolled the canal looking for enemy observers watching the canal. When they asked for volunteers to replace the platoon he joined them. They scouted the canal, trained in camo, jungle warfare and tested new equipment. He was in Panama from early 42 till 44 and was sent to Camp Blanding Fla. to instruct trainees in jungle warfare.

Sorry about the off topic but it got me to thing about my Dad, he passed at age 93 in 2013.

Dave
    Also off topic, but it reminded of Brophy's book "The 1903 Springfield Rifles" There was a brief section in there on the Bushmasters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12