Load DataWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1903 Springfield remilitarized

1903 Springfield remilitarized

I bought a sporterized 1930 vintage 1903 Springfield [with an unmolested recvr, bad stock and a 21 inch bbl] a few years ago for another project but it didn’t work out so it lived in the back of my safe until we shot our Punitive Expedition [BAM] match last month. I used my krag rifle but an ‘03 would have been the correct rifle to use so I decided to remilitarize the ‘03. I didn’t think that it was worth a criterion barrel job so I decided to make the wood fit the bbl. Had a sanded scant stock and a mix of milled and stamped parts to work with. I’ve removed the scant grip, shortened the forend and upper handguard 3 inches, shortened the firing pin spring polished things and refaced the bbl which was way off. Alot of sanding next. Operates a whole lot smoother now. Attachment 227816
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 09-25-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Nice I like how you brought it back to life. LOl.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    So it is like a 1903 Tanker Carbine? When it's finished please show us a side view. I've considered making something similar with a 03a3 drill rifle.

Boolit Master
    Be careful, there are still a few Bubba'd 98K's, #4's, M1917's, etc. floating around on the racks. This could get out of hand really quick!

Moderator Emeritus

I'm ever so happy for you! I bought a sportorized '03 with a serial number in the low-100,000 s/n range a few years ago, with the desire to re-militarize it, too! I'm a tad apprehensive, as you probably know -- vis heat-treatment procedures -- Springfields with serial numbers below 843,239, and Rock Island Arsenal '03s with s/n below 285,507 are generally deemed unsafe to shoot. I reckoned at the time, using my cast bullets at mid-range loadings shouldn't be a risk... I've shot it with no problems. And, the rifle has just been collecting dust in far-left back corner of the safe . Fortunately, whomever did the sportering on it apparently did not mess with the bolt. 'Looks like they just put new furniture on it, and a Lyman receiver sight. You've inspired me to dig in the safe, retrieve it, and maybe a good winter project will be to find old furniture for it, and restore it.
    BEST with yours!
    geo

I’ve got a lot of steel cas targets that I shoot at on my property, most are mild but I do have some AR500. I use my .30-40 krag load [.311 bullet] of 9.7 gr of Vitovouri Tin Star with a 165 gr lead rnfp .309 bullet in .30-06 brass. Shoots good at 65 yds, doesn’t damage my steel. There’s a good article I’ve read on using 10 gr? of trail boss for any large case .30 cal cartridge. I tried TB but didn’t like it, too flaky, didn’t meter well for me, I prefer the tin star as it meters like ordinary rifle powder. I will put the 03 on paper when I get it completed and see exactly what easy load it likes. Be careful geo, don’t hurt yourself with that old Springfield.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 09-28-2018 at 11:50 PM.

Boolit Master

Does someone have a link for the low number 03 blow-up 2-3 years ago with lower powered loads?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Moderator Emeritus

As I have a lo-numbered one, I recall reading it. Seems a bit longer back than "2-3 years" -- I'd wager around five, if we're talking about the same blow-up. What I had read was the loader/shooter was sending cast bullets down the bore, propelled with (I think, but would not testify in court re the powder) either Bullseye or 2400. The take was 2400 was intended, and somehow Bullseye got accidentally substituted. I do not recall exact details other than it was a LOADING error which (in this case) caused the entire bolt to fly out. And, the miracle that shooter still had two working eyes and ten attached fingers after the fact. While still feeling badly both for shooter and the rifle -- I sighed a big relief one that it was a loading error which might, imho, blow ANY firearm up -- NOT a fault from poor receiver heat treatment. I understand the heat treatment of those early Springfield and Rock Island '03s was a function of sunny, versus cloudy day outdoor . If one could know the exact day their was made, and the weather outside d'jour....
    geo

Attachment 228267Here’s where I am now. Just cut my grasping grooves. Working on the exposed lightening cut in the stock. Had to do some work on my new to me Colt .380s extractor. Having failures to feed. Got it right now. Thought I’d put it in the pix.

Very nice. If it shoots as good as it looks, it will be awesome.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Attachment 228987Got it done. Only has a 21 inch barrel but you wouldn’t know it. Used Birchwood-Casey rusty walnut stain and tru oil. I really like the way it turned out.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Many a "Leg" would have been right proud to field that 03 on Guadalcanal or any of the other islands. You did good.
    Low Numbers... Been firing a 500,xxx for near 20 years now. Was rebarreled in 43 and that barrel was well fired before I received it. Run only cast through it and do not exceed Krags loads. But I doubt it will ever go bananas.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Before you go too far read the part in Hatcher's Notebook about the strength of low number Springfields. Also note that the DCM does not allow them in matches; check their web-site. From my reading I did learn that during WWII there were some re-barreled. I reckon the government felt like it was ok if one or two blew up as long as most were ok.

DCM is doing what SASS did when sass outlawed Marlin pump shotguns even though no Marlin had ever cut loose at a sass match that I am aware of. But Henry rifles [ the rifle style not the brand] have had magazine detonations which hurt folks and blew up guns and they’ve not been banned. Its a lawyer thing.
    It’s called CYA.

In Remembrance

That is one nice looking job you did! I`d imagine any mortar or machine gun squad would really appreciate it Thanks for the tip on the stain used..Robert

Boolit Master

Nice work! I love the '03.

Boolit Bub
    Awesome work! 03 and garand are some of the best in my opinion! Enjoy shooting that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have one that I bought off a guy at a flea market for 50 bucks. He told me the head space was bad. All I really wanted was the action to rebuild it back again. The barrel was a two groove shot out barrel a bad aftermarket sporter stock. I bought a brand new stock and a brand new 1944 high standard barrel. My plan was to make it like a WW11 rebuild. When I done I going to have a brand new looking 1903 for only about 450 to 500 investment in it. My dad carry one in WW11 in 1943 he got a grease gun. And he said he carry both one was for short range the 03 for long rang shooting.

Boolit Grand Master

I built one but it's not quite "militarized". A friend gave me a DHT SA barreled action.....just the action and barrel.....no bolt or bottom metal.........The original barrel looked like a sewer pipe so I essentially started with just the bare action.

I decided to rebuild it into a National Match Type II configuration so I started finding parts. I have been quite successful in finding all the parts save one (a left hand safety....I know, good luck on that!). It is an excellent shooter with both cast and jacketed. It shoots just over moa with M72 and under moa with my 169 or 175 MK loads. It also is very partial to the NOE 30 XCB over 20 gr 2400 with a Dacron filler. The 100 yard SR reduced target shows 2 sighters then 10 "for record".

Attachment 230307

Attachment 230309
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 11-12-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

As a point of interest, seems as if I read an article some years back on experimental "jungle model" M1903s that the Army experimented with in Panama way back when. These were done at one of the government arsenals and a limited number were produced. You might research that and get some ideas from what they did back then that the Army wanted in the way of a short M1903./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast