MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Lyman 358429 vs NOE 172 gr?

Lyman 358429 vs NOE 172 gr?

Hey guys,

Looking for a mold to use in my S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman. I know that the Lyman 358429 was Keith's design optimized for this gun, but I'm not convinced Lyman QC is up to par. Would something like a NOE 172 gr. slug, be it with a large grease groove or micro tumble lube grooves be a better choice?
    I'd like to fill the cylinder and get a slug that drops from the mold @ .359" if possible.
    I understand the NOE molds are specified for w/w as cast diameter.

Thanks,
    Jim

Boolit Master

This may be of interest to you.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php?topic=2585.0

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Boolit Master

I have both Lyman with the round lube groove and NOE with the square. Both work great for me.

Boolit Master
    I've got a few Lymans I've had since about '03. 358429, 429421,454424, all undersized. Great paperweights.

Elmer had some great designs. Get them built the right way and you'll have a dandy.

Boolit Grand Master

There are two NOE moulds that you may want to look at :
    1.) NOE - 360-168-SWC-PB-(360429). length of nose is .351
    2.) NOE 360-170-PB- (Keith). Length of nose is .368

I'm not sure what the exact differences are , the (360429) may have a shorter nose (.351 ) to fit certain S&W revolvers with short cylinders , like the S&W model 19 357 magnums .
    The (Kieth) may be the original long nosed design (.368) that Elmer Keith designed. He was working with a larger N Frame S&W that had a longer cylinder than the later smaller K frame 357 that became so popular.

Email NOE to get the details of the differences of these designs.

I cast the Keith design #2.) with 50/50 lead - COWW and they cast .360 diameter on the nose .
    My 357 is a Ruger Blackhawk so nose length is not a problem. If I had a K frame 357 (model 19) I would get mould #1.

I like regular boolits with a lube groove ...not into tumble lube designs.
    NOE has done an excellent job of recreating these original mould designs .

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-26-2018 at 04:07 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

NOE makes good molds, but their first generation mold guide for RCBS and Lyman pots does not work at all.

Thank you all for the information. It is tremendously helpful.
    If I try to draw some conclusions, sounds like the older lyman molds were more to spec for the use of informed, accuracy-minded handloaders, while the newer stuff seems more suited to other things.
    I had my doubts about the tumble style micro grooves. Still have them....
    Nice to hear a positive post about the curved vs squared lube groove Lymans.
    I'm definitely not looking to reproduce pre-war balloon head heavy loads.
    But, I am looking to match dimensions and style suited to the old classic S&Ws!

Best Regards,
    Jim

PS: looking at the current NOE 38/357 offerings...

Boolit Grand Master
    Contrary to what you just read a few posts up, it is the N frame 357's who need the short nosed rounds, not the K frame. My m-28 Cylinder measures 1.627 inches long, versus 1.68 inches for my model 66.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Having used the NOE and Lyman, I like the NOE more. Equal driving bands with squared shoulders compared to smaller front driving band and not as sharp shoulders on the Lyman. Lyman also a touch undersized but when PC by my friend who owned the Lyman mold, not a big deal. The NOE also has a bigger lube groove which I prefer. Most of my molds are NOE and MP.

Hello,
    Thanks to everyone! I got an order in for the .360" version of the 358429, in 4 cavity aluminum from NOE.
    This will be a first for me. All my other molds are old Cramer or Lymans.
    While looking for an Ideal 358429, I stumbled on a nice deal for a two cavity Ideal 358250, with the handles. The wood was a bit heat scorched from use, but the iron had a nice patina inside and out, with all screw heads looking nice and clean.
    My conclusion? This must be a pretty good mold, as someone who knew how to take care of stuff, actually used it.

Best Regards,
    Jim

Boolit Master
    I have an old lyman single cav. 358429. it has cast many thousand bullets. they were loaded and used by police I loaded for. I have used them for everything they even cast large enough to use in my victory model. it is a real thumper bullet in my rugers. it even works in my rossie 92 when loaded in .38 spl. cases.

The 358429 worked pretty good for me. You'll like the NOE mould.

I like NOE moulds, and have several of them, but the Lyman and Ideal moulds made of iron are virtually indestructible and will literally last for generations. I bought my Lyman 358429 off eBay worth the money. Rarely I've gotten a Lyman mould that drops bullets a little undersize, but I'll just sell it and buy another.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Hi Guys,

Got to work with the new molds. The Lyman was especially a pleasure. It took an hour or so to fix the pins for tight alignment, to dress the peening on the pin holes, and lightly lap the sprue plate surfaces.
    But, it drops about .3585"-359" with a mix of WW and soft lead.
    Thanks for the help and advice,
    Jim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	228399