Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Test of a first generation Charter Arms Undercover.....

Boolit Master

Test of a first generation Charter Arms Undercover.....

It was made in the 1975-1976 era, so mid-production run. Picked one up cheap a while back and just got around to shooting it. In very good condition except the bluing is turning plum. The double action pull was excessively heavy, so double action shooting was not very accurate. Single action shooting was actually pretty good. I took several different .38 Special loads to try.

Interestingly, my target load (358395 Hollow-Base bullet with 2.8gr of Bullseye) was inaccurate in my S&W 642. The bullets were keyholing at 7 yards. I theorized that the twist was too slow for the length of the bullet. The same exact load was tried in the Charter Arms. All the holes in the target were straight on and were more accurate. Surprised me. The barrels are too short for me to measure twist. My standard load (358477 Hollow-Point with 6.2gr of HS-6) was accurate in the S&W 642 and the Charter Arms both.

The Charter Arms has a really small set of grips (wood). The rubber boot grips on the 642 worked better with the heavier load. Surprisingly, the weight of the Charter Arms is only about 4oz heavier than the 642. I have not seen replacement grips for the Charter Arms that are similar to the 642. While they have both wood and rubber replacement grips for the Charter Arms they are quite a bit larger than the existing grips. While I don't doubt that they would handle the recoil better, that kind-of defeats the purpose of a CCW piece. I think I will be looking for a Pachmayr grip adapter for the S&W J-frame to add to it.

Anyway, I have shot a couple of Charter Arms in the past, but this is my first to own. Not a bad little gun for the price.

Boolit Master
    I've got a .22 Pathfinder which I really like, and a 44 Bulldog that I need to develop a load for, and now I'm looking for a .32 model and a .38 with a 3 inch barrel. They are not pre-war S&W quality, but good looking and good guns for the money. I have not really looked at the newer models, I prefer the old blued ones, but I might end up with a new .32 mag model.

I've kicked myself several times for not buying a used Undercover that was in a pawn shop a few years ago. It needed a good blueing job but, that was it. I walked away and came back 2 days later and it was gone. Enjoy yours.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Buddy
    I've always wanted a .38 Police Bulldog. +P, compact size, 6 shots. What's not to like?

Boolit Master
    I have an C.Arms Off Duty snubbie I got back around 88-89. I like it & have carried it on more than a few occasions. Mine has C.Arms rubber grips. I bought it used, so I am not sure if it had other grips before, but these are pretty nice & it is a pleasure to shoot.
    As far as a CC price, it is easily concealable , IMO, even with the rubber grips. Works for me either in a pocket, OWB, or shoulder holstered. I wear it a lot when it is hot & I am wearing cargo shorts, with it in my right front or right rear pocket.

BTW, IIRC, CA 38 Specials have a 1 in 16 twist(1:16) with 8 grooves.

Looks like ya have a nice little piece there.
    Have fun with it!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm a big CA fan and have had a few of them. A mid 70's vintage Undercover is my house carry gun and it shoots just as well as my much newer S&W 637. Paid $130.00 for it plus shipping and transfer from Gunbroker. The finish is pretty beat but I don't think it was ever fired much, the action is still pretty tight and no turn ring on the cylinder. It has the skinny wood grips which I etched some traction lines into with a wood burning tool. Don't worry, these grips were pretty beat to begin with. I keep both snubbies loaded with 3.1 grains Bullseye and Federal primer under a Lyman 148 grain full wadcutter for 712 fps across my chronograph. This load is super accurate, easy to shoot, and penetrates well.

Unfortunately Charters aren't the bargain they used to be. Around here you can buy an S&W 637 or 642 for about the same price as a stainless Undercover. Still, the original Undercover is about the smallest snub .38 you can find. Even though the measurements and weight between it and the 637 are almost identical, the Charter just feels smaller to me.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim357 View Post
    I've always wanted a .38 Police Bulldog. +P, compact size, 6 shots. What's not to like?
    I had one and like a big dummy I sold it. It was like a modern Detective Special at a budget price.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I have had three and wish I had kept them, all were reliable and close to poa. One was stolen and it was the one that my Father gave me, it was the most accurate snub I have ever owned. I always liked the lockup, latched at both ends.

Boolit Master

I have had 2 Undercovers . . . both performed as needed always.
    2 Pathfinders front sight just fell off of both of them, though they were really accurate when the sight was there. Looked almost as if it were glued on.
    1 Bulldog, it was a *** since the day it came home and other than replacing broken parts, Charter did NOTHING to make it any better. THROWN into the back of the safe several years ago and cussed on occasion..
    Last edited by TCLouis; 09-28-2018 at 10:42 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I believe the front sights on the older Charters are brazed on. My gunsmith can make new ones and silver solder them in place.

Boolit Master
    I have run across several .44 Special Bulldogs at reasonable (but not once in a lifetime) prices through the years, but have passed on them. The +P .38 Special is about all I can shoot accurately in a gun weighing less than a pound. After trying this one, I may be tempted to pick up the next Bulldog. I am sure I can develop a load for the .44 Special that would work in it.

I have a little filing to do on the sights of this one, but very little. It is slightly low and a little bit to the left of center. Well within filing limits. I will be doing that soon and try it at the range again.

Boolit Mold
    Quick word of caution!!!

Make sure to research or call Charter Arms directly to verify if you have a +P rated Undercover.

I purchased a mid 80s era, very good condition 38 special, and after some research deep-dive, I was a bit disappointed to find that these handguns, to a certain year (90's-ish if I recall) were not rated for +P loads.

I am sure many owners are fully unaware as I was, before setting out to order a crane washer (or some other part that was worn).

It seems that the regular loads we should feed the guns are tough to find on the shelves, unless specifically loaded for or sought out.

Unfortunately, most gun owners are simply unaware of the limitation, or difference between loads.

--Great little gun. Accurate, small and light. However, wish I still wish it would be +P rated. The regular load 38 special leaves a bit more to be desired.

I had a CA Off Duty. It had an aluminum cylinder....so no +Ps. It shot ok and being partly aluminum it was a pleasure to carry. I have a large meaty paw though...it just never fit me right. But I never had anything negative to say about it...other than the fit.

I eventually traded it in for my Taurus 85B. Its all steel so it is heavier, but it fits my hand better with the Factory Hogue grips. And...I can load +Ps now.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    galaxy: Thanks. I did not know that.

I would love to have a 70's vintage Undercover or Bulldog. They were quality built back then.

Boolit Master

FergusonTO35
    I actually have both of the sight ramps.

The first one I found lying there one the ground as I was shooting another gun.
    I threw it in my range box and did not know it came off of my gun until I got home.
    Second one I lost as I was shooting and just picked it up.

Both of them have a are a ramp style site and there is a rectangular patch on the barrel of a hard brassy color and the shape of the sight.
    I'm guessing that the brazing job just barely took and a little recoil finally broke it loose.
    With the Compac grips the Pathfinders and Undercovers fit my hand well.
    Factory wood . . . Not at all.

I need to dig those out and get them fixed.
    I originally planed to drill and tap the barrel and screw them on.
    Got leery of trying to d&t the SS and they became two of many of my roundtoits.

Not familiar with brazing those types of materials and what the heat would do to the finish on the sight.

Anyone know CA's for procedure for putting on these ramps.
    Wonder if they did it much like "spot welding" to generate the heat or a torch?
    Last edited by TCLouis; 10-02-2018 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Corections/additions
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

The front sight on mine was leaning slightly, don't know if it was a factory error or had taken an impact at some point. Anyhow, my smith fixed it by making a new blade from bar stock and silver soldering it in place, works great.

I should have never sold the 6" 22lr Pathfinder I had about 10 years ago. Shot pretty good.