RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's alive... and cheap to reload for!

Boolit Master
    I have been following the other thread, really cool !!!

I keep thinking of what 22 lr would be easy to convert to CF !

During the rimfire shortage I went the 22 Hornet route with a Ruger #1, fun but something that pretty much mimmics the LR but centerfire - I'm in !!!
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Now to see the gun now.That is something now to see how it will be for what you will do next with it.For how it was some time ago for 22lr I went and got a 327 BH to use if need be ,to shoot 32 S&W out of it for the trap line. But I still will now if I like to or anything else. Now I got what i feel ok with now for the 22lr I stock up on now. But to see this in a gun now is going to be some thing think about.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i will admit i have never heard of this cartridge. seems interesting.

Boolit Buddy

never heard of it before but THAT is cool!!

Wonder if that cartridge would work in my H&R 922?

Boolit Master
    Very nice Sir.Thanks for posting the pictures.Looking forward to the range testing.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

Nice . . .

Now take off work shoot all night do whatever it takes to get performance details to those non purists of us that you have hooked on the idea.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Just curious as to what powders are useful in loading that cartridge, I would guess Bullseye and others like it.

Ken

Cool project. I admire your ingenuity, but it sure seems like the long way around the barn. Do you have to turn the cases on a lathe?
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    Just curious as to what powders are useful in loading that cartridge, I would guess Bullseye and others like it.

Ken
    Yes, things in the speed range of red-dot and bullseye are pretty useful. I've only experimented with a few powders so far, but they've all shown good accuracy in the contender. I'm hoping the K frame will be as omnivorous.

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Cool project. I admire your ingenuity, but it sure seems like the long way around the barn. Do you have to turn the cases on a lathe?
    Thanks! You are absolutely right about being a little less than practical. The cases do take a quick turn on the lathe, but I've got a form tool cut, and collets that make the lathe work pretty quick. At the end of the day the project is probably as much about the journey as it is about the outcome. I've been enjoying both!
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Well, I just don't think anything less than 44 Magnum will do in a handgun for us real He-Men. So, I think all of you feeble type people need to wake up. But, on second thought I think my wife (she is only 4'-9" tall and 98 pounds) would enjoy this one. And of course I would have to make sure it shoots right for her?

Boolit Master

That is super cool.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Grand Master

Looking forward to more info on load development and ballistics out of the K frame

Boolit Master

All I can say is THIS IS BEYOND AWESOME! I agree with the above posts about your chosen platform. I like it and am anxious as is everyone else as to how it performs. Love the photo shot from the rear of the cylinder showing the loaded rounds.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys!

I'm hoping to have a little time on the next few weeks to do some actual accuracy testing, but so far I know it'll make a headshot on a squirrel at 15 yards with it's current sight settings...

Literally the first shot that wasn't fired into a bullet trap got the revolver's first blood. That's a record in my shop! While I expect the main game shot by the K-frame will be paper, It does seem like it's gonna do it's job on small game as well.

I need to find a good holster for it though.... I kinda like the idea of a flap holster, but I don't even know anybody making one these days.

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I am curious on what you had to do to make it; Firing pin has to be swapped from some other K frame that's centerfire, and the cylinder rebored from 22LR as well? Anything other than those needed for mods?

Boolit Buddy
    Super Cool!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    I am curious on what you had to do to make it; Firing pin has to be swapped from some other K frame that's centerfire, and the cylinder rebored from 22LR as well? Anything other than those needed for mods?
    In this case, the revolver started life as a CF gun, and had a barrel and cylinder fitted to it. Then the cylinder was chambered for the cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Aah! Interesting

Boolit Master
    The first groups aren't spectacular, but at least it's showing promise.

20 yards with my arms across a railing, but not an actual rest. Not sure why, but basically every group is showing vertical stringing. This group is about average for the last 3 or 4 groups I shot (out of 7). Each group seemed to be getting slightly better; Either I'm getting more used to shooting the gun, or maybe laying down a layer of lube in the barrel? I dunno.

I'll shoot some more later in the week if I can get time, and see if I can make any improvement.