Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 caliber hunting alloy

Boolit Buddy

30 caliber hunting alloy

I am looking for a simple to make softer than my normal alloy(95.3-2.3-2.6) for 30-06/200 flat nose and 30-30/150 flat nose, all wearing gas checks. I tried the aka-50/50 plus 2, but could only get about 3 to 4 shots before group busting leading occurred. My normal alloy is about 14.4 to 14.9 brinell. I also tried 20:1 which I use for my handgun hollowpoints and also no accuracy and leading.

First question is; will 16:1 or 10:1 handle velocity in the 1750 to 1850 range?

Second question is; will my normal alloy,2.3 tin and 2.6 antimony roll the boolit nose on a whitetail out to 100 yds. This alloy will shoot MOA at 100 with the ought six using 314299 boolit and I have an accurate mold which is the flat nose version.

I have pure tin and superhard and pure soft lead and can make any thing I need. Also I did not water drop my 50+2/50 so I'm sure that didn't help, too much trouble, if I can just mix and cast that is what I would prefer. The ought six is 1:10 and have both 30-30's 10 and 12 twist and also feeding 3 35 remington, 336 marlin's for family members.

Thanks
    Tony

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use 50-50+2% in the .30-'06 with NOE clone of #311299 up to 2000 fps with no leading issues.

What lube are you using?

How are you determining sized diameter of your bullets?

They should be to THROAT size, not groove diameter, which ensures they will be too small and lead.

In most .30 cals. .311" is correct, but .312" is better in a worn barrel. Use .310 or smaller only in a minimum, tight-necked target chamber.

50-50 Alox-Beeswax has always worked for me.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I run 50/50 and sometimes softer in my 06 above 1800 fps. 2 light coats of LLA and accuracy is very good and leading is nonexistent. Terminal performance is also excellent.

On reading your post my first thought is that your boolits are too small. My mold only casts at .309 and I size to that with no problems. However that would be too small for many guns.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Buddy
    Lube is commercial carnuba red, a little harder than Glenn's regular.
    I sized to .313 because on the 314299 pointed it engraved the nose and front driving band. The Flat nosed version at .313 does not engrave the nose just the driving band.
    Do you think if I sized at 312 or 311 and seated a little longer to engrave the nose it would help?
    Yes there is a little throat erosion on that gun, it is a sporter 03-a3 that has been hot rodded a little before I got it. If I size down to 312 I might be able to get it into the throat a little deeper.
    Do either of you water drop or air cool your 50/50 plus 2?
    Thanks for the quick reply
    Tony

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I air cool my hunting bullets. "Hard" isn't wanted or necessary.

If your 03A3 sporter was been shot a bunch, and the .313 chambers and permits extracting a loaded round without de-bulleting, then the bullet is not too big. Most military '06 chambers are generous enough to accept a .314 bullet, you might make a dummy and try for fit. If you are seating the 299 deep enough to cover the top lube groove and the nose isn't engraving, you could try seating bullets out a bit longer, so the top lube groove shows, but don't size the bullets smaller.

Engraving like this is fine. Attachment 227802
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    My go to alloy is 50% soft/ 50% WW + 1% pewter AC at .310 dia. If i use lube it is either Ben's Red or FWFL with a coat of BLL. Or any PC.

Boolit Master
    If you are getting leading at your speeds with 50/50 WW-Pb alloy, I personally think you have a lube, fitment, or bore condition issue. I've shot that alloy at over 2,100 fps with no leading quite a bit in 30-30 and 35 Rem. Both of these guns were firelapped and now have very smooth bores, possibly one of your issues. Keep at it, you aren't asking for anything unreasonable, good luck.

Boolit Master
    Suggest you shoot your boolits that don't lead into abig stack of wet newsprint to see how they react/expand. Maybe you regular boolits will work fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Guys,
    I did a brinell test on some of the 50/50 +2 last night and they came in at 11, same as they were at 30 days old. I used coww that BNE tested at 97.1/.3/2.6. I have some older ones that come in with 3.2 antimony, I think I will make a new batch with the older coww. The more I think about it I think since that bullet in not engraveing the nose I may be getting some nose slump. My load is 21.5 of 4759 with a tuft of dacron. I also measured the two noses and the flat nose tapers pretty fast so I'll have to increase the OAL. I will roll the ones already dressed with some liquid lube and size the driving bands down to .312 and try again.
    If anyone has tried 16:1 or 10:1 I sure would like to hear some of their experiences.
    Thanks for the input and I'll keep you posted on the new results.
    Tony

Not in the 06 but ive shot some 16:1 a member cast me some of the 32-170 rcbs for my 32 spl. They worked fine up around 2k fps different caliber and slower twist your results may be different in the 06
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks RU, I have a hunting buddy that just got a 32 special, model 64 Winchester I think. I am not needing 2000, only 1800 give or take. Good info, thanks for responding.
    Tony

This is what my lee 150 fb does PCed out of a 7.62x39 Ruger ranch at about 2000fps this is 50/50+2 air cooled it expanded to .710 and penetrated 13+ inchesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	27C876F7-8E46-4ACE-8CF1-82BD832DFF4E.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	227912

Boolit Master

I shoot the 50x50+2 in all of my rifles with one shot kills on lots of whitetails. I shoot my boolits "as cast" no sizing just lubed with FWFL and gas checked. As others have stated you have a boolit fit or bore problem, not an alloy problem.
    Larry

Boolit Buddy
    updated range report: I had to size the flat point bullet down to .309 to allow a longer OAL. Still not engraving the nose but will engrave the driving band. The throat or freebore is longer than I thought. That boolit is not going to work in this rifle. My regular alloy did improve on group size, the 50/50 plus 2 and 20:1 not so much. The leading on the latter two did improve, no leading on my regular alloy. I guess I will use my 314299 and just file off the nose a little for a flat point for this season.
    I think by using a longer OAL there was either less nose slump or boolit was entering the bore straighter or a little of both. At the longer length only half the neck was supporting the boolit base.
    Thanks to everyone for your help.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master
    try powder coating
    easy and inexpensive
    I have shot many rounds through my 475 Linebaugh and the barrel looks
    like it was just cleaned
    also no need for lube
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    White Eagle I wish I had time to do that. Between work and all the whatevers I split my time between the pot and the trigger, LOL. I was just hoping I could get that flat nose to work. It would be okay in a factory rifle I'm sure, but I wanted to kill a deer with cast using the 03a3 that was my dads rifle. The 314299 I have will do an inch/100 most of the time and a bad day is 1.3 or so. I'll just file the nose off on that one.
    The funny thing is: is how important it is to engrave the nose and support it, ie...bore riders.
    Tony

In Remembrance

For all my .30 cal. castings and about everything else I cast for the 50/50 +2% pewter is what I use. I size usually .310 or .311 depending on the age of the barrel. I am a firm believer in using Lars bullet lubes and have not had leading problems. If I want a harder boolet I might water drop or another way is add 1 lb. of lino to the pot.Robert

I've been casting range scrap, (Lee hardness tested @ 11) 150gr RFN for both my 300 Savage (remington bolt) and my A3-03, 30-06 and gas checking them lubed with 2 coats Lee Liquid Alox and having great results at 100 yards. I shoot a small enough group that I am comfortable killing small game with them.

Boolit Master

might try slower powder with the softer alloy, it worked for me in 30/30. I'm shooting 9-10 bhn at 1950 with great accuracy and no leading. When I shoot that combo tho, I clean often.I haven't hunted with it yet, I just came up with it last year after hunting season. The powder I use is H335 for soft. I use 4198 for coww. When I used 4198 and soft, accuracy was terrible.

Boolit Buddy
    thks T-Bird, I haven't thought about that. The 4759 is faster than 4198 and I have never been a fan of 4198 in 30's compared to 4759 and 5744 and 2400. I will grab some H335 and might try 4895 speed range powders. Good catch, Thanks
    Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast