RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Do I really NEED a 358439 mould for SD loads?

Boolit Buddy

Do I really NEED a 358439 mould for SD loads?

I want to acquire a hp mould and was planning to grab a 358439 but it seems it might be a better idea to buy a multiple cavity 156 or 158 and have it converted.

It's only a few grains difference in weight but I was wondering if I would be sacrificing efficiency in going with a different "non-Keith" swc design.
    Cargo

Boolit Grand Master

NOE makes lots of different multi-cavity designs with pins to cast hollow points , penta-points and solid points all from the same mould . Casting with a single cavity Lyman Hollow Point mould is about the slowest way to make boolits . The 358439 is now the only .358 HP Lyman makes nowdays .
    Any flat point HP or Solid from 150 grains to 170 grains will work just fine .
    My 38's and 357's stay loaded with NOE #360-160-WC-PB (360432) this design is based on the discontinued Lyman #358432 ... the most accurate boolit fired from all my revolvers .
    This boolit , if cast with NOE HP or Penta points would be a wicked self defense boolit. As is in solid nose form it is a hard hitter and shoots to all my guns with fixed factory sights...Whooooeee!
    Take a look at the multi cavity HP's over at NOE ...they are some Sweet !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Gary, they have some good looking moulds. I also like the idea of having one mould that will throw solids and hp's. Much appreciated
    Cargo

Banned
    No shot placement is #1

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    No shot placement is #1
    And effective loads are #2
    Cargo

Boolit Master

If you find an old Lyman or Ideal 358439 or 358429HP (they made both), it's easy enough to make a plug attachment that fits under one of the handle screws and you can make either or. With the plug plugging the HP pin opening in the bottom it acts just like a regular mould. I have one for a HP .45/70 mould that someone placed a plug in a penny and it drops right in and casts solids upon demand./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    Gary, they have some good looking moulds. I also like the idea of having one mould that will throw solids and hp's. Much appreciated
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    No shot placement is #1
    THAT says it all!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Gary
    +1 to this...ordered 2 more yesterday and they are already shipping

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    NOE makes lots of different multi-cavity designs with pins to cast hollow points , penta-points and solid points all from the same mould . Casting with a single cavity Lyman Hollow Point mould is about the slowest way to make boolits . The 358439 is now the only .358 HP Lyman makes nowdays .
    Any flat point HP or Solid from 150 grains to 170 grains will work just fine .
    My 38's and 357's stay loaded with NOE #360-160-WC-PB (360432) this design is based on the discontinued Lyman #358432 ... the most accurate boolit fired from all my revolvers .
    This boolit , if cast with NOE HP or Penta points would be a wicked self defense boolit. As is in solid nose form it is a hard hitter and shoots to all my guns with fixed factory sights...Whooooeee!
    Gary
    I've got over a dozen NOE hollow point molds. NONE of them come with penta point pins.

However MP molds do.

I don't want someone to order a NOE and be upset they didn't get the penta point pins.
    NRA Benefactor.