MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, just what IS your favorite to load for?

Boolit Master

So, just what IS your favorite to load for?

I like my 30-06 A.I. and now my 30/30 A.I. in rifle calibers. Then for handguns is 9mm and .44 mag. If I ever get another .45 Cal something I'm all set for it, whether .45 Colt or .45 acp.

Shooting "mouse fart" loads to fire form brass from the 30-06 A.I. is a hoot! People are sitting and watching and waiting for a huge BOOM and are very surprised. I probably have another 100 or so rounds to fire form and I'll be through.

The 30/30 a.i. is different. All of my loads are from when I lived in Eufaula and let my son shoot it until he got his own rifle, and my rifle had a standard chamber at the time. I also always had a box or two loaded up for my late hunting and fishing buddy, just because.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I just started dabbling in the art of cast rifle shooting so far out of the 223 Remington , 7x57 mauser , 30-30 Winchester I have tried I must say the old 30-30 has been a lot of fun . I have shot my old Sears / Winchester top eject more with cast than I did in the past 30 years this summer . I am looking forward to spending some quality time with the 7x57 this winter hopping it is as much fun . I'm not shooting them fast , but I'm going to shoot them a lot .

Boolit Master
    30/30 since 1970. 12 others I like to load for and shoot with. 30/30 is it for me. Todd/3leg

Super Moderator

For rifle it's the 30-30, for handguns it's the 38 Special. Both timeless classics.

Boolit Master

I've been shooting cast in my old '93 carbine for 40yrs+, using the #287405. A Loverin design, I seat it just to where the bullets base stops at the bottom of the case neck. I cast of #2+, about BHN 18. Lube with 50/50 or lately WLL BAC, just to the grooves that are covered by the case neck. UNIQUE is my powder of choice.
    I wish I could shoot as well as I used to. I once managed a five shot one hole group at 100yrds from the bench, using a Scout Scope setup.

I think it was just a FLUKE.

But I really like the old Classics, in this order;
    .38SPL/.357MAG, .44WCF, .44SPL, .45COLT & .45ACP.

And then the RIFLE Catridges; .30-30, .270WIN, .25-06 and so many other's. Shotgun 12, 16, 20.

But I guess .38SPL, 7X57 & 16ga.
    Last edited by Walks; 09-26-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    So, just what IS your favorite to load for?
    The one that provides the most accurate groups at the distance the caliber was designed for ...
    * I'm primarily a lead bullet shooter - multiple calibers from 22LR black powder - 32 Long rimfires and on up to 50-70 for US calibers and 7.5x55 for the Schmidt Rubin K31
    * So whether it's a smokeless or BP reload, I first go to Grant's handbook for the powder data and then go to my drawer of 207 molds (last count) ... of which I'm a fan of Ideals because the various Ideal handbooks have not only the bullet data but the associated powder charge for the caliber(s)
    * Then it's to the range for grouping
    So responding to the question of the post ... I have MANY calibers that are 'favorites'
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I find that my favorite cartridge to load is the one I am loading at that particular point in time .
    I will admit getting a bit frustrated with loading some cartridges when I am doing bulk loadings of one particular load for one particular cartridge, mainly because I usually load my target/plinking/general purpose rounds in batches of 500-1000 at a time.
    That can get a bit tedious.
    I usually do a bulk reloading session and then one or two or maybe several batches of smaller special purpose(test rounds or hunting loads) rounds in different calibers before I take on another bulk loading session.

Boolit Buddy
    38 special hands down, so many molds and powders it could keep you busy for a long time. Second is the 30-30 from mild to wild, and also lots of molds to choose from on it also.
    Tony

Banned
    That's a hard question. I enjoy reloading so they're all my favorite.

In terms of sheer numbers, 38 Special and 9mm are above all others.
    In terms of most attention to detail, .308 Win is the winner.
    In terms of smiles per round, 20 gauge target loads may be near the top.

I can't pick a favorite.....

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    And the forgotten favorite - shot shells, 12 & 16ga. Smokeless are boring but 7/8 - 1oz and 1 1/4 black powder reloads with lead or bismuth (for duck hunting) with BP for hunting are my favorites in these calibers
    Regards
    John

38/357, 9mm, 45ACP.........Pick one.

Boolit Master
    Revolver... .41 Magnum/Special

Semi-auto... .38 Super

Rifle...
    Cast... .358 Winchester
    Jacketed.... .308 Winchester

30-30. I cant imagine it getting any better loading a cast bullet in any caliber.

My interests are wide, and widely varying.

Casting and reloading .32sw long are fun.
    Casting and reloading .44mag or .45 colt are also fun.

Had the son in law to the range sat, he shot some 15 rounds of .44mag out of 2 different single shot rifles. Had a blast. So did I, watching him, offereing a few tips.

Shooting, casting, reloading anything is more fun than none.

Boolit Master

38 special
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    .44 magnums with cast boolits from 190g to 310g with my favorite loads in the 800 to 1000 fps arena.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

22-250 with 30-30 a very close second. Oh wait 44-40. And 38-55. Apparently it must be a dash cartridge for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My present favorite is the .43 Mauser. Reforming .45-90 brass and lathe turning it just adds icing to the cake. Have been adjusting the alloy (softer), powder (less), sizing die (neck size only), and Dacron wad (stretched out like an accordion) to get it to reduce the number of fliers. Just shot a (pending official scoring) new record for 10 and 20 rd. targets in the CBA Military Big Bore Standing. Now I need a .41 Swiss.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Grand Master
    Has to be the .38 spl. I have shot more .38's than any other caliber over the 50 years I have been at this. Both rifles and pistols. It is so easy to load, does not lead and is cheap.

Can't see the rationale in shooting mousephart loads in rifle cases as brass is expensive and you cannot get carbide sizing dies in anything other than .308 or .223. So much faster and easier to spray a bit of case lube on cases and dump them into the feeder and load a few hundred at a time. And I have never trimmed a .38 case. KISS...plus I am lazy.

I don't hunt with cast bullets, so for me, there is no need to go through the effort/expense of working up cast loads for hunting. The 500 GameKings I bought will last the rest of my life (Sucks to get old in every other respect...LOL) and will outperform any cast bullet I can ever make.

I see the "fun" in working up loads is you are a reloader Trying to get good accuracy at hunting velocities can be a rewarding challenge. I did that for many years when I was younger. But I am a shooter. I would never reload another round or cast another bullet if I could purchase them cheaply enough as it is not a "fun" process for me.

On my "to do" list is working up a load for a little bolt action .223 I bought a while back. Something around 1500-2000 fps to give me .22 Mag performance or better. Not sure I will use cast bullets for it but I did buy a mold for the project. Then I got 6000 Hornaday 55 gr SP's for about $425. BTW, I dislike casting even more than reloading. I see it as a necessary part of making affordable ammunition.

Those of you who enjoy casting and reloading have the best of both worlds. A fun hobby that saves you money...or at least allows you to shoot more!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Oh, but the mousefart loads are for fire forming. After that, they get cleaned and loaded with the load that works the best in that rifle.
    And I use a RCBS single stage. I never liked a progressive.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast