RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Pacific C Press Primer Clamping Screws?

Boolit Master

Pacific C Press Primer Clamping Screws?

I have three antique Pacific and Bair "C" presses with the primer arms mounted in front of the ram on the bottom, and they all have a slot in the top front where the dies are mounted for a primer feed system. In the side of the slot is a hole for a 1/4" x 28 threads per inch screw/bolt or what to mount this primer feed system? Does anybody know what the configuration of this screw/bolt was in the original issued Pacific primer feed set? Was it a plain screw with a flat screwdriver head? Or maybe a set screw that took an Allen wrench? Or maybe a larger screw with a ribbed knob with an Allen Wrench hole in the end? Or maybe even a regular machine bolt that took a hex or socket wrench?

Banned
    Don, they are round head, slotted. You should be able to still find them at a decent hardware store.

Ken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Don, they are round head, slotted. You should be able to still find them at a decent hardware store.

Ken
    Thank you very much for your help Pressman. Now that I know what I am looking for, I discovered that on one of the antique presses that I have acquired over the years there is a 5/8" long, 1/4" x 28 round head machine screw with a slotted head that fits these holes. It didn't quite look original to me, so I thought someone had put a hardware store screw in the slot. So, now that I know what I am looking for, I can purchase a few more to complete my collection. I am trying to make the presses look all original with all originally mounted hardware. But also I want to use the presses with the original type primer seating systems. The closest I could find so far are the primer feed and primer seating arms still produced by RCBS. So I bought a couple of those sets to make the presses functional for now.

What year are they? I have a 1976 catalog that might have a parts list and description.
    I will look, I think I have scanned a bunch of pages of it already.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    What year are they? I have a 1976 catalog that might have a parts list and description.
    I will look, I think I have scanned a bunch of pages of it already.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
    I am not sure what years they are from. I have three of them now. One is an older black colored Pacific press where the actuating arm hangs down in front of the press when the ram is down, and then rotates up to raise the reloading ram. And I have to change the rams for different calibers, although now I have a ram that takes regular snap in shell holders. The second one is a Bair press that looks similar, but the press handle can be mounted either up or down to actuate the ram, and the block the handle screws into and actuates the ram is cast iron or cast aluminum. The third one is a Pacific Super Deluxe with a chrome plated steel machined block the handle screws into, and is also convertible so the handle can either be in the up or down position to raise the ram.

Banned
    Don, the black Pacific was made from 1947 to 1959, the blue Pacific from 1961 to 1972. The Bair from '72 to about' 77.
    Ken

DonMountain,
    Sounds like my catalog is to "new". I was think that the parts might be the same even though the presses are older.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master

I have a Pacific "Multi-C" press with that same configuration for the primer feed. I'm pretty sure mine has the original screw/bolt in it...I'll look when I get home. I've always wanted to mount an original feed system on it. Anybody have one they'd like to sell?

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW and an old guy's opinion; Unless you want to keep your press original, I wouldn't use a slotted head screw. The slotted head configuration is the worst screw head design made. After a lifelong career as a machinist/mechanic, I replace all the slotted screws on all my tools/equipment with an allen head, torex, of if nothing else is available a phillips. And yep, I know proper screwdriver fit is essential...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    FWIW and an old guy's opinion; Unless you want to keep your press original, I wouldn't use a slotted head screw. The slotted head configuration is the worst screw head design made. After a lifelong career as a machinist/mechanic, I replace all the slotted screws on all my tools/equipment with an allen head, torex, of if nothing else is available a phillips. And yep, I know proper screwdriver fit is essential...
    So, how old are you anyway? Because my first thought was an Allen head screw also, and found some with a small head with finger grooves around the head to aid in tightening before applying an Allen wrench for more torque. And since they were only 50 cents I bought some. So, for my "display" presses I will mount the primer feed with the original screw for a flat screwdriver, and for my "user" presses when being used I may mount the RCBS primer feeder with an Allen head screw.

Boolit Grand Master

70 years old, started working on autos when 11, worked as a machinist, electrician, heavy duty construction equipment mechanic and electrician. Never liked slotted screws especially on guns (the majority of which I don't replace). None of my reloading equipment are collector's items although some is pretty old, so replacing stuff is OK. Yep many of the allen head cap screws have a knurl on the head, nice touch...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Here's a pic of said screw out of my press (35 yr old Pacific Multi-C).

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    70 years old, started working on autos when 11, worked as a machinist, electrician, heavy duty construction equipment mechanic and electrician. Never liked slotted screws especially on guns (the majority of which I don't replace). None of my reloading equipment are collector's items although some is pretty old, so replacing stuff is OK. Yep many of the allen head cap screws have a knurl on the head, nice touch...
    Fortunately I am not near as old as you are mdi. But I do remember going with my father to pick up our brand new 1956 Chevy station wagon that was red and white, with the stove bolt six that my father taught me how to work on engines when they had points, spark plugs and carburetors. Then I advanced to working on all the farm machinery. Unfortunately I am still working on engines, replacing all of those plastic fittings that keep cracking and leaking water on my wife's car. And you have convinced me to have the "collector" flat blade screws on my show presses and use the Allen cap screws for the "user" presses.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by avogunner View Post

That appears to be a course-thread screw on your press? The threads on my presses are all 1/4" x 28 fine threads? I wonder if Pacific changed the screw/thread/style of these clamping screws as they moved on to more modern designed presses? It would appear to me that inserting a screwdriver into that 1/4" hole would be really small and not allow much torque on the screw to clamp the primer feed into place? And the older, fine thread screws would allow more pressure to be applied to the primer feed unit than a course thread screw? A round head on that fine head screw allows a much bigger screwdriver blade to be applied along with more torque.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by avogunner View Post

My blue Pacific Super Deluxe has a screw that doesn't look like yours. Mine has finer threads and a large round head with a slot. Looked it up and it is a round head screw type.
    I not only have the primer auto feeder it also came with a blue plastic gizmo with a knob on the side, to fill the primer tubes with , in theory...it never worked that well , but they aren't for sale .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-28-2018 at 06:49 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    My blue Pacific Super Deluxe has a screw that doesn't look like yours. Mine has finer threads and a large round head with a slot. Looked it up and it is a round head screw type.
    I not only have the primer auto feeder it also came with a blue plastic gizmo with a knob on the side, to fill the primer tubes with , in theory...it never worked that well , but they aren't for sale .
    Gary
    Thanks for your report Gary. The screw you describe is the same one that came with one of my old presses. So I do have an original then. I haven't been able to attain one of the original primer feed systems, but I did purchase an RCBS unit that is similar and mounts right up in the slot with that screw I have. And the press I have been working on to use is also a Pacific Super Deluxe. I bought it off of FreeBay for a $25 bid but it didn't have a handle with it. So, I just found a piece of 5/8" round rod in the shop and welded a 1/2" x 28 grade 8 bolt to the end of it and then ground and polished it all up smooth and painted it black and you can't tell it from an original. Got it all cleaned up and lubricated and just now mounted it to the bench. Gotta go see what it will load. I wonder if that primer loading device is the same thing as the one that came with the 1960's shotshell reloading presses? I have 4 of those old Pacific shotshell presses but they are all models just before that primer feeder was on them.