MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any homesteaders on site?

Boolit Bub

Any homesteaders on site?

It’s pretty common knowledge that the fine folks on this site are thrifty and handy minded people, but do we have anyone who lives remotely off grid? I don’t mean in a total prepper way (which also interests me), or a weirdo Ted Kaczynski way. I would like to know if anyone decided they aren’t going to mold to the regular 9-5 and waste their lives in the grind. Perhaps you inherited a place or cashed in your 401k and went. Living on your own acreage and have your own animals, well and garden. Anyway, I’m interested if anyone has done it, where they did it, how they did it, and what they would do to better prepare or change for it? Or the biggest question, how to afford it?!

Boolit Master

I would love to do this but seems impossible given the fact that my wife will never get over the fear of snakes. BUT, anything is possible.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Banned

A good source of info
    Country Life and Small Stock Journal
    They, the readers, are doing it
    No grind and freedom
    https://countrysidenetwork.com/magaz...stock-journal/

I'm too old to wander "Off grid" but if you can make it into retirement debt free it gives a pretty self sufficient feeling. Gp Look into getting a copy of the old "Whole Earth Catalog" Written and edited by an old friend of mine from younger days.

Boolit Master

We have chickens, goats, sheep, a yearly hog, and once a steer. We heat our home with wood cut off the property, butcher our own meat, grow a garden, and I've planted all manner of fruit and nut trees. We could never make it pay its own way without working our tails off on some sort of labor intensive cash crop(s). Instead, we use investments purchased while I was working and my wife's job income to make ends meet.
    People are forever telling us we should do this or that, bees, milking, etc, but we decline. Make no mistake, a homestead can be just as much of a grind, or more, as a 9-5. I drew the line on many endeavors because I wanted it to be fun, but there are still days a house in the burbs sounds mighty nice!

Boolit Master
    My thoughts on this subject ; if I wanted to work all day like a mule , worry about , and be responsible for everything - I would keep my day job ' self employed ', But semi retirement sounds fun .

Moderator Emeritus

While our friend, AlaskanGuy hasn't been online for over a year, I think he qualifies.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...lol&highlight=
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I haven't seen a post from AlaskanGuy in over four years, hope he is still working at it and is OK!

Boolit Master

You might want to check out the https://www.survivalistboards.com/ tons and TONS of info on what your looking for.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master
    Living off the grid, on your own privet land, what kind of taxes do you have to pay?????
    Seems like no matter what, taxes will always have to be paid to someone.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    You might want to check out the https://www.survivalistboards.com/ tons and TONS of info on what your looking for.
    I’m a frequent reader of prepper sites, however, I’m curious about the perspectives of those who just do it for the “freedom”.

Boolit Buddy

Hard to do unless you live among like minded people an example would be the Amish. Every thing turns to work eventually.

Boolit Master

Officially, "Homesteading" ending in 1976. The ability to gain federal land by homesteading it at least did. Originally, a person could claim 160 acres of land and gain ownership if he lived on and improved it,. later that was reduced to just 5 acres. In practice, it was often abused as large entities made deals with individuals to secure water rights then deny shared use of that water to competition.
    Too bad there isn't still such a program, even for "just 5 acres"! I suspect more than a few of us here would give it a try.

Boolit Master

Going on seven years ago the wife and I sold our house, "retired", and moved to our 120 acres in West Texas. Four miles to the nearest paved road and power lines, 60 miles to the closest real town, 120 miles or so to the nearest crappy Wal Mart. We are all off grid, using solar for power and rain catchment for our water. We are building our own house here, and are working as general contractors doing steel construction in the area. Though we work, it is no where like 9-5, more like 10-2 or so Once the house is finished we hope to go into full production in our 26 x 50 greenhouse producing vegetables for the local area and kiss ladder climbing and welding good bye!

My observations over the years here off grid have been that though many people want to live the lifestyle the majority that try will fail. You need a broad skill set because most likely you are the one that will be taking care of business. You will need to be a mechanic, a fabricator, an electrician, a builder, heavy equipment operator, and have grit like nothing else. Living in a 30 foot RV with a wife, a dog, and a cat for years can put a whole new light on the true strength of your marriage. Some call the area I'm in the land of broken dreams, many ruins, half starts, and abandoned RVs lay here in the desert. Local joke is that many come here with $300 in their pocket and a dream, both seem to run out about the same time!

To try and answer at least one question Wuffman92 asked, affording it takes a major lifestyle change I would say more than anything. Stockpiling goods to reduce the number of trips to town is probably the biggest one we made. The ability to "run to the store" for an item is gone, we try not to go more than once a month, two if we can make it. We have 3 freezers going, we buy in bulk and repackage for our needs. Typically going to town requires hauling a trailer as it all won't fit in the truck and if you have a project going get it all while you are there, as fuel becomes your biggest expense. Affording it is easy too when you have skill sets to sell to those that don't have them. I have a backhoe and a dump truck, so I can do dirt work along with construction, I can be as busy working as I want to be and sometimes after a big job I take weeks off to do my stuff at home or just plain goof off. Life is good

Living off grid has its challenges and it's rewards. My nearest neighbor is over a mile away, the night sky is amazing, the silence deafening, 300+ yard rifle range, don't know if it can get any better

Boolit Bub
    lancem, (post #14),

I’d like to be close to your position someday. I grew up much like that, being from a ranch. Now I’m mostly wondering about insurance in that position, means I have 3 young children to care for too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wulfman92 View Post
    lancem, (post #14),

I’d like to be close to your position someday. I grew up much like that, being from a ranch. Now I’m mostly wondering about insurance in that position, means I have 3 young children to care for too.
    Kids would make things harder but it is being done here locally. Insurance isn't something that anyone I know has, unless they are 65+. Mexico is close and the dental and medical available there are very good and inexpensive compared to US. A local doctor does not take insurance, charges $60 for an office call and two weeks worth of come backs if needed. There are always options.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    I would love to do this but seems impossible given the fact that my wife will never get over the fear of snakes. BUT, anything is possible.
    Come north, no snakes up here. Top tier of northern states all pretty skinny where snakes are concerned.

Boolit Master

Lancem, you are living my dream partner!

Moderator Emeritus

The truth is it is a lot easier to earn a living on only 40 hours a week. Most rural people are on the grind far longer and later. Yes there are slower seasons if your ducks are in a row but you have to make enough to carry through them. Sheep can give you wool, lambs and meat but most agricultural earnings are all at once to carry you through the year.
    If you own your own home do you do all the upkeep? Can you live with wood heat and open windows for AC? How about hanging your wash and limited water? My belief is that the few that live this life style have little or no time to use computers and tell others about it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Yep self sufficiency equals lots of hard work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast