Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Rifle vs Magnum Rifle Primers

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Large Rifle vs Magnum Rifle Primers

Can someone advise me on how much magnum primers increase chamber pressure? I’ve not been getting complete powder burn in my .45-70 and a friend said to try magnum primers. I’m using Vectan Tubal 3000. It’s supposed to be good for this round, but if magnum primers don’t work I may try a faster powder. Any reason or danger in trying the magnum powders?

Boolit Master

From my understanding, a magnum primer ensures that slower burning powder (widely used in magnum loads) will burn more efficiently. I'm sure someone here has a better explanation- I've thought about that often also. And then I've heard some folks tell me they use "either/or" in magnum loads/regular loads with no noticeable differences.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

If you're not getting the powder to complete burn I'd see if the magnum primer helped. With that load I don't see a problem. Not THAT much difference in my opinion. Gp

Boolit Master
    Two things I think go into the difference...

From what I understand there is a measurement called "bristance" (spelling may be off) which is basically how much fire comes out of the primer...more for magnum to set the slower powder burn better....

Secondary is the harder or tougher primer cup to allow a bit higher pressure before blowing a primer....once saw a really nice chart that laid out the bristance and psi ratings for sm and lrg pistol and rifle by manufacturer....I'll see if I can find a link

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the advice. If others have ideas please keep them coming.

Greg, brisance is the "force" of a primer charge. With a reasonable load in a 45/70, you should not need a magnum primer. CCI uses the same cup thickness for magnum and standard primers, but the flame temp is higher for magnums, according to CCI. If you are loading light loads with Vectan 3000 (which is on par with 4895 and TAC) you might want to up the charge weight IF....you are not close to max for the gun you are using. If you decide to try a magnum primer, back up a couple of grains first and work up.
    What are you shooting it in? How well does it shoot?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Brisance /brɪˈzɑːns/ is the shattering capability of a high explosive, determined mainly by its detonation pressure. (http://www.castingstuff.com/primer_t..._reference.htm)

Here is a thread you may find useful...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...es-for-powders
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

I would first ask if the load with unburned powder is giving the accuracy desired?If the answer is no then by all means keep working toward a better load.If the answer is yes I'd say so what?...A little unburned powder from an accurate load is acceptable.Many 45-70 loads will leave unburned powder in the barrel

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Read this article and reload accordingly ... https://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm
    Last edited by John Boy; 09-26-2018 at 03:17 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I use the CCI magnum primer with 54.5 to 55.4 grains of IMR 4350 in the 30-06. Didn't affect either the pressure or velocity all that much but did show more consistency from shot to shot. I've used this load in about 4 Winchester model 70's. 3 match rifles and one standard rifle. When I sold the standard I furnished the load data with it. Bumped into the buyer about a month after the sale. He kept raving about how accurate that rifle was. And my Sako 75 Hunter now discontinued also in 30-06 does shoot this load with a 165 Nosler ballistic tip very accurately. Been shooting this load for many years. Hope this helps. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by chutesnreloads View Post
    I would first ask if the load with unburned powder is giving the accuracy desired?If the answer is no then by all means keep working toward a better load.If the answer is yes I'd say so what?...A little unburned powder from an accurate load is acceptable.Many 45-70 loads will leave unburned powder in the barrel
    My late uncle who was an armourer in WWII in North Africa told me of sweeping up unburned powder kernels after .50 Browning machine gun shoots on the range.

Those 'unburned' powder kernels are not actually unburned - just not fully burned. Notice they are a paler color.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    No definite rule on this. If you're shooting a less than maximum load, try both primers. Chronograph and shoot some groups for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Can someone advise me on how much magnum primers increase chamber pressure? I’ve not been getting complete powder burn in my .45-70 and a friend said to try magnum primers. I’m using Vectan Tubal 3000. It’s supposed to be good for this round, but if magnum primers don’t work I may try a faster powder. Any reason or danger in trying the magnum powders?
    Whether pressure goes up a significant amount when switching to a hotter primer is powder & load specific. I find slower powders gain a bit more pressures than faster powders & loads near the max show greater gain than say midrange loads.
    When I am working accuracy loads for rifles & will use just one primer to develop the load. When it looks good, I will swap diff brands & even try a mag primer to see if I can squeeze a bit better accuracy out of the load. If the load is at max & I go to a mag primer I will usually back the load off 2-3/10gr depending on the powder.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub
    I also shoot the 45-70 in both a Marlin and an original trapdoor. From my experience the mag primer does increase pressure some so when switching from standard to mag reduce load some and work up or down according to pressure signs. When working up loads for my two 45-70's I started with standard primers and worked up loads then switched to mag's and followed above procedure. It seemed to me that the mag's left less unburnt powder that standard. Also a tight crimp will help with powder burning.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Whether pressure goes up a significant amount when switching to a hotter primer is powder & load specific. I find slower powders gain a bit more pressures than faster powders & loads near the max show greater gain than say midrange loads.
    When I am working accuracy loads for rifles & will use just one primer to develop the load. When it looks good, I will swap diff brands & even try a mag primer to see if I can squeeze a bit better accuracy out of the load. If the load is at max & I go to a mag primer I will usually back the load off 2-3/10gr depending on the powder.
    This is pretty much my process. Primers are usually the last variable I test.
    As was said, it is common for the .45-70 to have unburned powder left in the bore.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I've tried both w/ mouse fart loads for fire forming 30-06 a.i. loads. Nothing different that was apparent to me. I loaded up some 30/30 loads last week or so that the book said to use magnum primers. I dunno why, but I kinda like to follow their suggestions.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Greg, if you have access to it, try Accurate 2015. I use it in my 45/70's and it is the cleanest burning I have tried and it does not need a mag primer. Tell us what rifle you are shooting. Most of the time the SLIGHTLY higher pressures will burn cleaner but if you are shooting a trap door, remember that the only thing that gets stronger woith age is wine and cheese, not rifles for sure.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I only use Magnum primers with ball powders. The powder balls form a tighter "nit" column of powder than stick powders (more spaces between the grains). It takes more "fire" to get through the ball column to burn efficiently.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Greg, if you have access to it, try Accurate 2015. I use it in my 45/70's and it is the cleanest burning I have tried and it does not need a mag primer. Tell us what rifle you are shooting. Most of the time the SLIGHTLY higher pressures will burn cleaner but if you are shooting a trap door, remember that the only thing that gets stronger woith age is wine and cheese, not rifles for sure.
    I’m shooting a Marlin I bought in the 80’s. It has iron sights with a peep hole I had installed at the back. It was my primary protection against bears in the deep Alaskan bush. The sights worked great for quickly acquiring a target, but has a lot the be desired for accuracy shooting, which is where I am now. Thinking of improving the sights, but don’t necessarily want to scope it.

I noticed not all of the powder burning and a friend told me to try magnum primers. I just don’t want to go too far and over pressure it. Maybe it’s not a big deal.

I’m thinking about a faster powde might do the trick too.

Boolit Master
    For the 45-70 Vectan 3000 is a relatively slow powder.
    The only way to get it to all burn is higher pressures and higher velocity.
    If you want all the powder to burn at lower velocity you need a faster burn rate like 4227.
    I use the discontinued SR4759 at about 1300 fps. It all burns in a 30" barrel. If I reduce my loads just 2 or 3 grains I get unburned kernels left in the bore.
    Today the nearest extruded powders in burn rate to SR4759 are 4227, 2400 and 5744. Do not use ball powders...
    EDG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast