Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R Handi Rifle in 243?

Boolit Master

H&R Handi Rifle in 243?

So, my LGS has one of these that looks to be in really good conditon... they are asking $200 for it on consignment. This almost smells like one of those do not pass it up deals. I really had hoped it was 30/30 when I spotted it.

What do you all think? Good deal or not good deal. I have been watching them for awhile as a cast shooter but 243 does not really strike me as a cast boolit gun.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    The barrels alone are going for higher than that on eBay,,,,,,,

Yes, it's a good deal. The wife and I have a pair that are fixing to get a slew of BRP 87's and NOE 105's tried in them. Lots of folks here have found the .243 to be a great cast shooter.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    You also have the advantage of adding barrels to the H&R Handi Rifles I got the Buffalo Hunter with a 32" 45/70 Barrel and I bought a 24" .223 barrel for it. Still looking for a .35 whelen barrel at a decent price. You will enjoy shooting it.

Boolit Master
    I purchased a second hand Handi-Rifle in 243 for $200.00.
    The rifle is very good a t 200 yards with a 1.5 inch group with regular jacketed bullets.
    At the same time I purchased a lever action rifle in 32 Winchester Special.
    I paid $200.00 for the 32 Winchester from the same guy.
    I got an Accurate mold for for the 32 Winchster and will shoot a lot of cast lead bullets that will be powder coated with a home made gas check installed.
    Here in Texas there is a web site Texas Gun Trader. I check this web sight ever week looking for H&R Handi-Rifles. So far I have purchased a 20 gauge shot gun a Handi-Rifle receiver that I fit a 35 Whelen barrel to and a Handi-Rifle in 223 caliber.
    I like Handi-Rifles and have several other barrels tha fit my Handi receivers.

Banned
    I just got my Handi SB2 a month ago and already wanting more barrels...lol. I guess they are hard to come by nowadays though. I wish they still made them. I am impressed with the quality of this gun. I can't imagine them going any lower than $200 For this quality I think it is a good deal. I know nothing about the 243. Mine is a 45/70. I am hoping against hope that I could get a Buffalo Classic barrel. You can get them but they seem to go for over $300 just for the barrels. I would also like to get a 357 mag and a 223.

Boolit Master
    I have an ultra in .223. I would love to find a.243 at that price. Dont pass on it.

Boolit Master

Gun Sucks!!!!!!!!!! Well, if you want to shoot anything over 80grains it has about a two inch group at 100 yards. I had one and was not impressed. If you want to get a 243 go with Savage or Ruger for $300 well worth the increase in $$. The twist rate on the handi was not designed for heavier 90+ grain bullets. Other handi's are great guns and I do have one one other that I love, but the 243 is just not a good combo.

Boolit Buddy
    Buy it if you want to. They aren't making them any longer. Try it out don't like it sell it and you can keep your receiver

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Thanks all for the advice. I am still trying to figure you what it takes to "fit" a barrel. The twist rate would be fine with me, not looking to launch missiles with it. Looking for 200 yard max for a critter gitter or cast 100 yard stuff. It has been there a good while, if it is there when I get back, I will make an offer. Would like to find a 30/30 and 357 barrel for it.

Kung fu has a point, the H&R have a history of doing poorly with larger bullets.
    Most have had success with 80's and under.

For that price, I think I'd snap it up, try it with some different factory loads.
    If you find one it shoots well keep it. If you don't move it down the line to someone else. And probably make a profit on the deal.

I own one of these bad boys...As stated, they don't typically like longer bullets. They would be fine with a 1:9 twist, but the 1:10 doesn't do well typically. Shorter cup and core bullets can work, no clue about lead...They are also finicky about fore end pressure. I put the front rest directly in front of the trigger guard.

Personally, even for $200, I would pass...

Boolit Grand Master

I have one in 223 also it dosnt get shot a lot since all my 224 is loaded with 769-80 grn bullets It dosnt have the twist for them. I did by 100 pac of win 55grn soft points and loaned it to Dad to use on the farm for wood chucks and other varmints. got just over 60 back in his estate

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Thanks all for the advice. I am still trying to figure you what it takes to "fit" a barrel. The twist rate would be fine with me, not looking to launch missiles with it. Looking for 200 yard max for a critter gitter or cast 100 yard stuff. It has been there a good while, if it is there when I get back, I will make an offer. Would like to find a 30/30 and 357 barrel for it.
    Fyi...every Handi Rifle enthusiast wants a .357 barrel and most would like a .30/30...

Sometimes a 357 Handi pops up on armslist, but....you’d have better luck finding a mint Buick Grand National with 50 miles on the odometer for sale!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My wife has one in 243,she has taken 32 deer with it, from 35 yds to 275 yards, all one shot kills with a 85 grain Sierra Game KIng I load for her. It will shoot them into 3/4" all day long, and will group 100 grain Winchesters into 1" at 100 yds. The .243-100grain slug, has more kinetic energy at 200yds, than a 30/30 150 grain does at 100yds! And half the recoil!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    My wife has one in 243,she has taken 32 deer with it, from 35 yds to 275 yards, all one shot kills with a 85 grain Sierra Game KIng I load for her. It will shoot them into 3/4" all day long, and will group 100 grain Winchesters into 1" at 100 yds. The .243-100grain slug, has more kinetic energy at 200yds, than a 30/30 150 grain does at 100yds! And half the recoil!
    This seem to be the norm as far as the handi rifles go. And thus is why you made a stellar choice. Keep us posted with your results.

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    Fyi...every Handi Rifle enthusiast wants a .357 barrel and most would like a .30/30...

Sometimes a 357 Handi pops up on armslist, but....you’d have better luck finding a mint Buick Grand National with 50 miles on the odometer for sale!

I'm lucky, I started with a .223rem ultra, got it in to the factory to have a .357 and a 7.62x39 and a .44 mag fitted to it.

Factory kinda screwed me, they said they had the barrels, then turned out they did not.
    I did not get the .44mag period. I was able to contact a person who worked there, and he was able to sort out the screwup. He got me a .357mag talo barrel and found a 7.62x39 for me, got them fitted and shipped back less than a week before H&R closed their doors for good.

A year ago a .30-30 20ga combo walked in my door with my neighbor. He wanted to sell, pawn shop offered 150$ tops. He said no dice. Asked me what its worth. I said bring it and I'll tell you.

It was new, 20 ga never fired, immaculate perfect condition. I counted out 300$ cash and he picked it up with a smile. Yes we were both happy. Not long after I said something about paying 200$ for a .44mag sight unseen and inside 24 hours I had 2 people wanting to sell to me. So I took em both.

Yes I am a handi holic. Yes I am a happy camper. Besides the ones talked about I have a .300bo complete, a .444marlin complete with camo composite stock which I dearly love. And a variety of other pistol caliber barrels including 9mm and .45colt which have frames they fit on very well.

I do tend to stay away from the loud, fast, high recoil guns. 06, .308, .270, .243 just don't interest me. I've been there, but that is not where I am now.

Now I am the pistol caliber fiend. And I think I am hunting a .32 in a handi rifle. Which .32, well that is negotiable. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Boolit Master
    Ghosthawk, we have the same interests in the Handi. I see numerous 308, 30/06, 243, & 223 which don’t really interest me. All that you mentioned are on my list, plus a .35 Whelen.

My .25-06 heavy barrel never fails me and recoils like my ar...

Boolit Buddy
    I have a heavy barreled one. It is a good rifle. I only shoot 100 grain j word bullets in it. I have never tried cast.

Boolit Master

Good luck finding a good 357 bbl. Most are turned into 357 Max or shortened. It's almost like they (people) will mess around with the 357 so much then offer it up for sale. From what I've seen you can get a G2 Traditions rifle in 357 for about $300 or so or go upto $600 or $700 for a Ruger 77 or Henry/Marlin. No great options anywhere.

I think it's worth the price asked for the frame alone. I'm not a 243 fan but I do love my handi's. I have eight and three extra barrels. Makes me kinda sad my 30-30 is gone but it went to a good home and that's how I got my new in the box heavy barrel 12ga. slug gun. Gp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast