WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I shut the beeper off on Lyman gen 6

Can I shut the beeper off on Lyman gen 6

My best friend who is not gun shy , doesn’t mind v8 with headers, Harley’s , thunder or fireworks will crawl in my lap at a specific beep. I think it was from the previous owners use of an e collar ??? He cowers at the beep of my auto measure. Any chance I could open this thing up and cut the beeper out ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    One alternative you could try easier is to re-associate that beep with good things; Set the beep off in the other room, and each time it beeps, feed your dog a nice treat. (Something he REALLY likes!) That can remove the previous association with pain or terror that that beep has.

A cat we had growing up ended up phobic of my mom's coffee grinder; I did that and some other tricks I know and he changed in a day from terror to just leaving, padding over to the fireplace, and sitting there. (Lots better than running to a bedroom and hiding under a bed.)

Should be able to kill the beep off, too, but might be best to wait till you won't be voiding the warranty? If you're not good with electronics, look for a local Maker Space, Ham Radio club, Robotics club, or the like for help. And instead of cutting it out, you might be able to just unplug the beeper's connector, though it might be soldered in place on a PC board.

Good luck!

That's one good looking pupper. Maybe he's telling you it's time to go back to a mechanical PM. ;-}
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    I believe he is sad because, your not loading bird shot.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LabGuy View Post
    I believe he is sad because, your not loading bird shot.
    Grouse are down this year, but dads keeping us in shells and we’ve been getting out. No blood yet

Boolit Master

Beautiful Springer!! Hope you get your problem resolved for his sake.

If you can find it try putting tape over it before you get more drastic. Might be a solution.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

I have used superglue in the beepers, things can't make noise if nothing moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    One alternative you could try easier is to re-associate that beep with good things; Set the beep off in the other room, and each time it beeps, feed your dog a nice treat. (Something he REALLY likes!) That can remove the previous association with pain or terror that that beep has.

A cat we had growing up ended up phobic of my mom's coffee grinder; I did that and some other tricks I know and he changed in a day from terror to just leaving, padding over to the fireplace, and sitting there. (Lots better than running to a bedroom and hiding under a bed.)

Should be able to kill the beep off, too, but might be best to wait till you won't be voiding the warranty? If you're not good with electronics, look for a local Maker Space, Ham Radio club, Robotics club, or the like for help. And instead of cutting it out, you might be able to just unplug the beeper's connector, though it might be soldered in place on a PC board.

Good luck!
    Im at that point just to sit at the desk. I reloaded a box of 20 there once, there are some beeps from calibrating and i rejected a few throws so probably 30 beeps in that one sitting are all he's ever "suffered" from this machine. in an effort to condition him to it being a good thing I bring him a new bone and dont run the powder measure. I'll size and flare or prime cases for an hour or so couple time a week. for three months ! . STILL If i go sit in that chair he'll get nervous and act goofy. Ive made some pistol rounds with a lee scoop and my scale , and ive dropped him off at a friends house who has a dog he enjoys hanging out with so that i could have a couple hours dedicated to charging and seating bullets . There's gotta be a way to shut this beeping beeper off !!

Rather than cut the wiring, try muffling it. Tape. Foam wrap. Put it inside a small piece of Styrofoam. Or, if you can read the specs off the speaker, you could try changing it out for another type of noise maker using similar power specs.

Boolit Master
    i cut the wires to the speaker and mounted an LED and hooked the wires up to that.

works perfectly

Boolit Master
    There should be a special place in hell for designers who mount beepers in devices without a shutoff switch. Wakes up the whole house when the stupid beeper on the oven or microwave goes off.

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    i cut the wires to the speaker and mounted an LED and hooked the wires up to that.

works perfectly
    Any chance you took a photo ? I’m ready to cover the speaker in glue.... but I’m not sure I’d know a speaker from an other electronic piece.

Got this off Amazon Questions page

Answer: It's relatively easy to disable if you're motivated (I was), thus:
    1. Put the cover on the unit and turn it over.
    2. Remove the four screws securing the back panel.
    3. Find the beeper. It's on the other side of the PC board, but you'll see a circle on the near side, labeled BZ on mine.
    4. The beeper has two traces, one to a resistor and one to a transistor (R9 & Q2 on mine). Cut one of them with an Xacto knife or the like, taking care not to cut anything else. I found the trace to Q2 to be better exposed. The trace is copper, which is soft and easy to cut.
    5. Test it before you reattach the rear panel, to make sure you completely cut the trace.

Alternatively, if you have a soldering iron handy, just remove R9. If you ever want the beep back (why?), it's easier to reattach R9 than to fix the cut trace (though that's not hard either; just scrape it clean on both sides and solder a short bridge of wire across the gap, or forget the wire and bridge it with a blob of solder
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Got this off Amazon Questions page

Answer: It's relatively easy to disable if you're motivated (I was), thus:
    1. Put the cover on the unit and turn it over.
    2. Remove the four screws securing the back panel.
    3. Find the beeper. It's on the other side of the PC board, but you'll see a circle on the near side, labeled BZ on mine.
    4. The beeper has two traces, one to a resistor and one to a transistor (R9 & Q2 on mine). Cut one of them with an Xacto knife or the like, taking care not to cut anything else. I found the trace to Q2 to be better exposed. The trace is copper, which is soft and easy to cut.
    5. Test it before you reattach the rear panel, to make sure you completely cut the trace.

Alternatively, if you have a soldering iron handy, just remove R9. If you ever want the beep back (why?), it's easier to reattach R9 than to fix the cut trace (though that's not hard either; just scrape it clean on both sides and solder a short bridge of wire across the gap, or forget the wire and bridge it with a blob of solder
    THANK YOU!

So which bit is the speaker?

I think it the round piece under the screen , and it’s not obvious how to disconnect it even IF I were brave enough to dig deeper, which I’m not . I think I could dump super glue in the hole on top

Well I covered the top of the buzzer in super glue, beeped it once hoping that’d get the glue down in it better. I don’t have high hopes

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    Any chance you took a photo ?
    yes .... i did a whole thread on it.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...so-i-fixed-it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast