Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Type Metal Rescue

Boolit Master

Type Metal Rescue

A friend has been making and selling fishing sinkers. He recently told me about a bunch of little he had that was going to be turned into deep drop sinkers soon.

I traded him range scrap ingots from my stash.

Hard to beat a deal like that.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180922_201755.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	227715

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Banned
    Great deal. Occasionally my friends will bring me mystery lead, this makes good trading stock.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice save! Looks like a mix of Lino, Foundry and Mono type. It would have been a shame to drown that!

Boolit Mold
    While working around an old demolished house site years ago, I found a number of sheets of what appeared to have been old school tests (I live near a college town). I presume this is Lino? Seems pretty hard.

I'm wondering if I should use it to alloy with some soft lead or if it would be better to save it for something special like maybe 22 Hornet boolits.
    Last edited by LandSurveyor; 10-03-2018 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Fumble fingers.

Well done! A total waste of good alloy at the bottom of some lake.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LandSurveyor View Post
    While working around an old demolished house site years ago, I found a number of sheets of what appeared to have been old school tests (I live near a college town). I presume this is Lino? Seems pretty hard.

I'm wondering if I should use it to alloy with some soft lead or if it would be better to save it for something special like maybe 22 Hornet boolits.
    Are those full "sheets" like a full page, made of a single piece of metal?

Linotype ("Lines O' Type") is a thin strip of alloy with a single line of reversed print on one edge. Monotype ("Mono" as in a single letter) is a single reversed letter on a small block of metal, as is foundry type. Lino, mono and foundry alloys are hard, being high in tin and antimony, and higher going from Lino up to foundry.

A full page of reversed print cast in one piece sounds like stereotype. Wikipedia describes stereotype alloy as being between Lino and mono in both tin and antimony content (though there were several proprietary formulas of each, and type casters would occasionally use alloy that was in some degree depleted in tin or antimony, so overlap in content from one type to the next is possible.

Short version is that it is probably a high tin, high antimony alloy. Hardness testing would give you an idea of what it could be used for as is, or, if harder than needed, how much soft lead to mix in to get in the desired range.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Are those full "sheets" like a full page, made of a single piece of metal?

Linotype ("Lines O' Type") is a thin strip of alloy with a single line of reversed print on one edge. Monotype ("Mono" as in a single letter) is a single reversed letter on a small block of metal, as is foundry type. Lino, mono and foundry alloys are hard, being high in tin and antimony, and higher going from Lino up to foundry.

A full page of reversed print cast in one piece sounds like stereotype. Wikipedia describes stereotype alloy as being between Lino and mono in both tin and antimony content (though there were several proprietary formulas of each, and type casters would occasionally use alloy that was in some degree depleted in tin or antimony, so overlap in content from one type to the next is possible.

Short version is that it is probably a high tin, high antimony alloy. Hardness testing would give you an idea of what it could be used for as is, or, if harder than needed, how much soft lead to mix in to get in the desired range.
    A full page.