Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Continuing Education or Re-learning

I should have pulled them down but in my anger at my stupidity I just buried them!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Texas By God, magnafluxing is using and electric current[magnet] on the part while spraying steel dust on the part to draw the dust to the cracks. We used it to check for cracks in used heavy equipment parts that we sold. Some machine shop that do repair work on used parts and some automotive repair shops are possible sources for a magnaflux test kit. Dye penetrant test does basically the same thing the dye will flow to the cracks and when sprayed with the white substance will draw the dye out of the cracks. Hairline cracks not visible to the eye will show up. Kits are kinda pricy on amazon. Can also check welds for cracks and air pockets using the dye test. Glad there was physically no damage to you. Take care

Boolit Master

Everyone knows at least one person who routinely overloads their ammo.
    About 30 years ago there was some jerk that came to one of our bowling pin matches, who used overloads to knock over bowling pins.
    Made some of the scenes in the Dirty Harry movies look like Clint was shooting a 22 long rifle handgun.
    After he quit coming around, I asked about him and was told that he lost his eye and most of his face trying to get his 30-30 to shoot like a 308.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Texas By God, magnafluxing is using and electric current[magnet] on the part while spraying steel dust on the part to draw the dust to the cracks. We used it to check for cracks in used heavy equipment parts that we sold. Some machine shop that do repair work on used parts and some automotive repair shops are possible sources for a magnaflux test kit. Dye penetrant test does basically the same thing the dye will flow to the cracks and when sprayed with the white substance will draw the dye out of the cracks. Hairline cracks not visible to the eye will show up. Kits are kinda pricy on amazon. Can also check welds for cracks and air pockets using the dye test. Glad there was physically no damage to you. Take care
    Thanks for the info. As a teenager I tried to Swift my 22-250 and had a case head seperation in my 788. I backed off then and have kept MY loads sane since then.
    I've known guys that should have just gone straight to the .50 BMG and quit trying to turn their 06 into one......

Boolit Master

Glad you are ok. I imagine you shot over a proof load seeing the brass transfer.

If I buy reloads, it's only for the cases and projectiles. I sometimes even deprime if the primers are in doubt. I'll usually check a few random primers in empty cases and chamber them and see if I get 100% pop rate out of a 10% sampling.

again.. glad you are ok.

Makes you wonder what those were loaded with.

I have heard a story about a 'person' that used to go to our outdoor public range that would 'leave' loaded ammo and that some of said loaded ammo was loaded unsafe, on purpose. Never found out if it was a myth or not.. but makes you think.

Boolit Grand Master

As a lifelong brass scrounger I often find loaded rounds laying around. Most of them have a light firing pin strike. I twist the bullets out of the rimfire ammo and pull the bullets on the center fire stuff. The bullets go into the next smelting pot, the powder goes into the odd powder jar that I save. I use this to make a light show around the fire at deer camp. I deprime the cases and save the brass if its useable. Theres just no way I'm shooting unknown ammo.

Boolit Master
    "I have heard a story about a 'person' that used to go to our outdoor public range that would 'leave' loaded ammo and that some of said loaded ammo was loaded unsafe, on purpose. Never found out if it was a myth or not.. but makes you think."
    I hear we planted grenade ammo in Vietnam to make them afraid to shoot there own weapons after seeing the guy next to them lose half his face! That may be a tail, as I have no first hand knowledge.

Magnaflux will show a microscopic crack, even a break in the micro structure of the steel. The powdered steel will congregate along the flow lines of electrons that are disrupted by the structure anomaly.

Boolit Master
    Had a guy in our club who wanted to reload ,he knew I'd shown a few guys the basics but when he started telling me how to get more speed out of a 223 by overloading I just walked away ,the club banned him soon after .if you want to speed up a 223 get a 22-250 .

I got rid of 25 mixed rounds. I was not at my best and I was getting image shift thru the scope. I hope it was just hay dust in my eyes. The left bottom group is 2-100gr NBT and 2-75grSierra hp(my two main bullets). Upper left is 75gr hp. This rifle never liked 120 gr Sierra hp(2 groups on right)and still doesn't after the "Incident". 1" dots at 100 yds. I shot all 25 rounds in ten minutes. The barrel was very hot for the last 5 shots( top left dot).
    I think she's ok. I'm more worried that I'll forget the lesson than I am about the rifle.
    Thanks for listening.
    Thomas

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    In a word - EEK!

I'm very glad you were not hurt!

You know, anti-gunners might be planting that loaded ammo around, I sure would NOT shoot it (or even trust that the primers are safe.) Your life and mine're worth a LOT to us so let's stay safe!

I too have used scavenged powder for a "light show" but I make a paste of it with acetone and cast ice cube sized blobs with it. Burns hot and well, no chance of it doing more than that though. Just toss anything that smells "off" or is dripping etc.!

All things considered, you were lucky - And that's good. Don't tempt Murphy though

Boolit Grand Master

I just picked up a magazine full of 223 brass at a local shooting hole. There was one loaded round laying there that I will pull the bullet from and dump the powder. It has a light firing pin strike like you get from a dirty AR and has the same headstamp as the empty brass. I'm absolutely sure that it would fire and all of the signs point to it being from the same lot as the empty brass. But, I have a rule about that and I won't deviate from it. I also picked up two unfired 22 long rifle shells that I will pull the bullets from.

I like the idea of casting this mixed powder into cubes. My light shows are a pretty big hit at deer camp and I will have to give that a try!

I've also heard the storys of baiting our enemies with overloaded ammo. I have heard that it was done in Vietnam. Between the anti gun crowd, rookie or unsafe reloaders and all of the other bad stuff in the world I just won't shoot unknown ammo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12