Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: S&W Double Action Fourth Model @ 1890 - unfired

Boolit Master

S&W Double Action Fourth Model @ 1890 - unfired

Picked it up at a local gun show this weekend. I have been going to gun shows for the last 50 something years, starting with Memphis shows in the early 60's, but this little thing is exceptional. First unfired used gun I have ever owned. Fellow had this on his table. I asked him how much. He said "I've got $250 in it". Looked at it pretty closely. Went home, called my cousin who had had a pawn shop.

He said to ask him how many had even looked at it, and go from there. Fellow allowed as how I was the only one that had looked at it, but he had other stuff no one had looked at. But it did kind of take him back a bit.

I offered $200, he countered at splitting the difference, I came back with a counteroffer of $220. Agreed - Done deal. Took it up to my cousins where he really looked at it. My cousin, said "it is unfired". "You're kidding me" I replied.

"Nope - unfired. Probably been in some woman's jewelry box all these years, no wear at all to speak of, not even dresser drawer wear".
    Only downside is no way I am going to ever shoot it. Other than a few small spots on the nickel it appears to have been made a couple of months ago.
    Serial # 104758 - per Flayderman serial numbers under 209,300 made prior to Dec. 31, 1898. So I figure @ 1890.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0566.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	227691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0564.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	227692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0565.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	227693

Boolit Master
    Yea people will tell you how valuable it is, until you buy it then its junk. I bought a similar one, 32S&W, blued, but pretty much perfect condition. It was fired at some point but long ago. It was ever so valuable, until it was in my hands, then somehow being reblued by Smith and Wesson in 1919 destroyed its value. Apparently at the time, S&W reblued your gun for simply sending it back to them. There was a factory mark under the grips where it was sent back for whatever reason. So I shoot mine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Yea people will tell you how valuable it is, until you buy it then its junk. I bought a similar one, 32S&W, blued, but pretty much perfect condition. It was fired at some point but long ago. It was ever so valuable, until it was in my hands, then somehow being reblued by Smith and Wesson in 1919 destroyed its value. Apparently at the time, S&W reblued your gun for simply sending it back to them. There was a factory mark under the grips where it was sent back for whatever reason. So I shoot mine.
    I am not particularly thinking about value, but I am sure used to folks poor mouthing whatever I may try to sell. As I said before, in trolling gunshows for the last 50 something years, it was a first for me - unfired but used condition.

Boolit Master
    I was not concerned about value either, I buy guns to shoot. Asked here, hey thats a great gun, probably worth a few bucks. Went to the S&W forum, suddenly its junk, not worth buying. Same as the S&W 1917 I bought, asked before I bought it, it was worth $400 just in parts. I paid $100, had it in hand and asked, suddenly it was a clunker worth $200 at best. Both shoot great. Most of those old DA S&W I see at shows are little more than paperweights.

Boolit Master

I don't have one --so yours is no good--bla, bla, bla.
    You have a very nice pistol, for a cost anyone could live with.
    Shoot it ! don't shoot it, it's yours, enjoy it.
    that's the point isn't it.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

As a lover of old S&W's, that's a dandy! I don't think I could have turned away from that deal either. I only own one S&W in 38 S&W. A pre Terrier model 5 screw. It's a dandy in the fact it has a flat mainspring. The smoothest little 5 shooter I've ever handled.

Congratulations on your find.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.