WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Issue with Savage 23B 25-20

Issue with Savage 23B 25-20

I was gifted a pristine Savage Sporter 23B in 25-20. It was manufactured in 1924 according to the factory letter.
    I also received a box of 25-20 reloaded 75gr lead gas check w/ 9gr 4227 (per the loader's specs). They are from the Old Western Scrounger, and I spoke with their loader. He said they use 9.0 gr 4227 with 10.7 being maximum.
    I intend to pull the bullet from one and make sure that it is, in fact, 9gr. If more than 9 grains it might explain the issue. I also will load some mild loads and see if the same thing happens.
    Here is the problem: the primer is flowing around the firing pin but does not seem to be flattened. Flattened primers as we all know shows high pressures.
    The loader was not complimentary to this kind of rifle, and thought that something could be off with the bolt, a weak spring (I don't know what that has to do with it), headspace, or something with the bolt face.
    Personally I wonder if the head space could be off, or maybe even the diameter of the firing pin channel might be too big with an undersized firing pin. Maybe the firing pin is too long.....or maybe aliens live in there....who knows?
    When the gun fires, the primer has no where to go except flow around the firing pin. Not bad, but enough to give me pause.
    Any thoughts?
    Many thanks,
    Donald
    a/k/a fish4bugs
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 09-24-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    I had one in 32-20 that did the same thing you are describing. Not uncommon with these rifles as the firing pin is smaller than the channel.

Boolit Master

I have one (23B) with a similar problem with standard pressure loads. One thing to note about 23B's and 23C's is that there are at least 2 firing pin diameters ( probably 3 ) depending upon date of manufacture within the series. A replaced firing pin that was incorrectly sized for the forward bolt body could be a cause your issue. Head space is worth a look as well. Mine has another issue - a small depression in the bolt face, just to the right of the firing pin which allows a little flow back on that side. If you go to Gun Parts corp - You will see that firing pins are still available with different forward diameters. I'm still trying to find a gunsmith who can sort out my problem. Probably going to have to bush the firing pin hole. Just some thoughts for you.
    Being human is not for sissies.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My Savage .32-20 does this if reloads use pistol primers. Cratering goes away with Remington 6-1/2 or Federal 200 small rifle primers. A charge of 9-10 grains of 4227 with a 75-grain bullet is not a "hot" load. It is a factory equivalent load with 75 grain for the .25-20 and is also in the .32-20 with 100-grain bullet.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    My Savage .32-20 does this if reloads use pistol primers. Cratering goes away with Remington 6-1/2 or Federal 200 small rifle primers. A charge of 9-10 grains of 4227 with a 75-grain bullet is not a "hot" load. It is a factory equivalent load with 75 grain for the .25-20 and is also in the .32-20 with 100-grain bullet.
    Now THERE is a theory. That never occurred to me. I typically use Winchester primers but may buy 100 Rem or Fed SR primers and test it out.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

If the primer change doesn't work out, I would shim the mainspring for a stronger primer strike, and more force keeping the FP in the fired position to better resist primer flowing.

Alternatively, a new/fatter FP tip can be installed in the face of the existing FP to better fill the FP hole in the breechblock.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    With advanced micro tig welding ,there is no need to bush .....just get the welder to build up the bolt face around the hole with something like 312 stainless........dont go too hard ,or the pin hole will be difficult to clean out.

Boolit Master

Tig'ing it up was what i suggested to the local gunsmith - It was above his capabilities and pay grade. Mine too. Just gotta find someone who is able and willing ? ? I am open to recommendations . . .
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Buddy
    Look up restorative welding 1 815 732 1249

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I was gifted a pristine Savage Sporter 23B in 25-20. It was manufactured in 1924 according to the factory letter.
    I also received a box of 25-20 reloaded 75gr lead gas check w/ 9gr 4227 (per the loader's specs). They are from the Old Western Scrounger, and I spoke with their loader. He said they use 9.0 gr 4227 with 10.7 being maximum.
    I intend to pull the bullet from one and make sure that it is, in fact, 9gr. If more than 9 grains it might explain the issue. I also will load some mild loads and see if the same thing happens.
    Here is the problem: the primer is flowing around the firing pin but does not seem to be flattened. Flattened primers as we all know shows high pressures.
    The loader was not complimentary to this kind of rifle, and thought that something could be off with the bolt, a weak spring (I don't know what that has to do with it), headspace, or something with the bolt face.
    Personally I wonder if the head space could be off, or maybe even the diameter of the firing pin channel might be too big with an undersized firing pin. Maybe the firing pin is too long.....or maybe aliens live in there....who knows?
    When the gun fires, the primer has no where to go except flow around the firing pin. Not bad, but enough to give me pause.
    Any thoughts?
    Many thanks,
    Donald
    a/k/a fish4bugs
    I think your load is ok - I have one of these and I load 11grains of 4227 under a 60 grain jacketed softpoint - its comfortable no signs of excess pressure.