StainLess Steel MediaLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Graf & SonsWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me again what it takes to kill a mulie?

Boolit Master

brewer-

I have a 30-06 load I developed for my rifle with 226gr bullet traveling 1850 or so fps. I shot a doe with it about 160 yds away, through the leg bone and through the heart. She did the 80 yd dash and died. Bullet gave complete penetration, entrance and exit.

Your cast load will work fine, I would aim for bone to break them down so they don't run so far. Shoulder coming or going, will work.

Where your short coming will be, is in determining distance to the target, so you can get an excellent shot. A pocket range finder for $100 is your best friend. With the cast velocity being lower, it will drop quickly at distance. Know your drop, practice at distance and go get one.
    vmthtr@charter.net is NOT my paypal addy

Have a range finder and unless the target were obviously within 100 yards (such as a deer stepping out from a stand of trees I had already ranged) I do not take shots without checking. The rifle range I have access to is a 100 yard one, so that is all I can do. I know from the ballistic calculator that the drop should not make a difference out to 150 yards. By 200 I need to be aiming at the spine or a bit over.
    "I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious." - the Baron von Munchausen

Boolit Buddy
    location and luck is pretty much all you need, oh yeah a firearm bigger probably better than little, cause if you cant hit it at least you have a shot at scaring it to death. I usually kill mine with the truck on my way home at night, not the best way but certainly easier than most and I almost never have to track it (they're usually wedged between the headlites and the bumper)

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    location and luck is pretty much all you need, oh yeah a firearm bigger probably better than little, cause if you cant hit it at least you have a shot at scaring it to death. I usually kill mine with the truck on my way home at night, not the best way but certainly easier than most and I almost never have to track it (they're usually wedged between the headlites and the bumper)
    I used a 100 lb. Six point whitetail buck to kill a 2005 Chevy Silverado. One shot @ 70mph. I hate the taste and smell of airbags.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I think measured distance and only computer generated POI will be limiting.
    Empirical test would be best and will give you practical real world boolit drop information.
    This is of course post hunt as you either went last weekend, or will be going this weekend.
    Nothing is impossible for the person that does not have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    I think measured distance and only computer generated POI will be limiting.
    Empirical test would be best and will give you practical real world boolit drop information.
    This is of course post hunt as you either went last weekend, or will be going this weekend.

Going the coming weekend. I played around with a ballistic calculator and tried varying the initial speed a bit to see how far I could be off. Out to 150 yards it does not make a meaningful difference. I also have some additional fudge factor due to elevation as the range is 5000 feet and the area I will be hunting is more like 8000.
    "I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious." - the Baron von Munchausen

Boolit Master

I would select the bullet and load that is the most effective. In this case, I see no advantage to using a cast bullet...but of course there is the pride factor....alas...one of the deadly sins we are cautioned to avoid.

You WILL kick yourself if you miss the shot or wound and lose your deer. Chose wisely.

BTW, if your post is to confirm that your choice of a cast bullet is supported by others, you have received affirmation. If you had any serious doubt, that doubt will remain, and will haunt you if you need to make a 200 yd shot.

If you stay with the cast load, you must test it at range or you will have doubts. Do not underestimate the power of confidence and knowledge.
    Don Verna

NRA Endowment Member

Understood, Don. I have shot this load at 100 yards many times and will likely not take a shot over 150 yards with it, so no worries. I was mostly wanting confirmation that this combination would kill deer. For elk next month I will be using Partitions because the shots are generally 200+ yards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12