RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: Electronic ear muff, help

Boolit Buddy

Electronic ear muff, help

So what have you found to be the best electronic ear muffs?

I'm looking at the Honeywell Howard leights.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    That's what I use. 'Used mine today, matter of fact. Great muffs. My wife and mom like them as well and we all have a pair.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    I now use these MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X and find them to be excellent.

I also got the upgraded Gel pads which make them even better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect...getName=sp_atf

Boolit Grand Master
    I got this one from amazon.
    Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport Sound Amplification Electronic Shooting Earmuff, Purple (R-02522)
    First one I've used.
    I'm guessing the way I'm using it, it's just not worth it.
    I guess it depends on how you use it.
    Non electronic ones would work just fine for me.
    They do work.
    Just not what I thought they would be.
    Best if you can try one for a day at the range.

Boolit Grand Master

I love my 3M Peltors

[QUOTE=CamoWhamo;4463097]I now use these MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X and find them to be excellent.

I also got the upgraded Gel pads which make them even better.

Best I have used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master
    We have the Howard Leigh's from Amazon, got the teal blue, cuz they were the cheapest. Used them once at the range and helped me to hear all the range commands and instructions way better than with my peltors. I have high frequency hearing loss to begin with, so the electronic muffs do help. OTH, the peltors have a NRR 29-30, while the HL's are only rated at 22.

Boolit Master
    I have the Howard Leights Impact muffs. They do a great job. They are not the smallest profile and I have to be careful not to break the seal with the rifle stock. I have high Freq. hearing loss as well so I use conventional earplugs plus the muffs, I can still hear range commands and normal conversation.

Boolit Master

My kids got me theses maybe 5 years ago It's nice to hear impact on steel at a 100 yards with my 22 https://www.cabelas.com/product/IMPA....uts?slotId=14
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy

Guess im the odd duck. I love my walker quad muffs. I can even tell what direction the sound is coming from

Boolit Master
    The Best? Pro Ears Gold.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy

I've owned a number of makes and models of amplified ear muffs and the "MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X with gel earseals" is the best in my opinion for shooting. They are by far the most natural sounding, have the most accurate limiter, and the most comfortable feel of anything I've tried and I'm fussy because I've been in the professional sound business for more than 40 years and I have always worn hearing protection.

The gel seals are a key element in proper fit and seal against your head and they don't require undue pressure on your head to achieve the necessary isolation.They do not overamplify which is fatiguing, and they are solid so you don't get that annoying acoustic signature from hollow earcups. I have used them in heavy rain quite happily and if you buy the cotton earcup covers for when you are sweating in the hot sun you will be walking in tall clover.

They are indeed expensive but I think more than worth the price.
    Valley Forge

Boolit Master

'Nother '+1' for Howard Leights. My first pair lasted over five years and my second are well into their fourth season on the handgun ranges. I don't care for ear muffs on the rifle side...electronic or otherwise...'cause I've found they interfere with my 'off the bench' shooting position; there I wear custom-fitted earplugs.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy

I use the Howard leights, good for most handguns. Not so much for the really loud guns.

Boolit Master
    In electronic I have both the Howard Leights and Peltor Tactical S6 models as well a several other non electronic types and would easily recommend either type. I shoot on a private range so I don't have to worry about range commands and the like. Both perform well and I don't have any issues at the end of the day. I do not wear double hearing protection. Sound deading wise I give the edge to the Peltors but go between the two with no issues. I haven't had any major issues with stock weld, but that may just be me. In all cases the batteries are still the shortfall. For some reason the Peltors seem prone to being turned on in the range bag and ultimately be one or both ears would dead when I go to use them the next time out. In the Peltors both ears have their own battery/vol control. The H&L only have the single battery set and Vol control. I did change one of my Peltor sets from the over the head style to the behind the neck style from a non-amplified set getting me some additional options for whatever I'm shooting.

I do prefer the electronics when shooting with the family/grandkids so I have better situational awareness of what's going on around me.

Shooting alone I generally go with the H&L and connect via a wire into an iPod for some tunes while plinking away usually with my pistols. Someday when I'm rich and famous I hope to graduate up to a Bluetooth set to get away from the wire.

Boolit Master

I guess I am the odd man out. I bought a set of the Howard Leights and do not use them. They simply do not stay positioned on my head. They tend to slide down and leave your ears unprotected to noise. Do some research and you will find this is a common complaint. I would encourage you to try a set of the HOWARD Leights before buying.
    I bought another brand. After time I use the electronic feature less and less but most of the time I shoot by myself.

Boolit Master

Another recommendation for the Howard Leights. Watching the Outdoor Channel shooting competition shows many of the competitors have gone to the same Howard Leights in favor of much more expensive models. I have had no problem with them staying in place after using them for many years in competition run-n-gun USPSA. I also use them when hunting. I always wear a baseball cap at the same time. Maybe that helps. A friend and I are able to whisper very softly and hear each other without alerting the deer or pigs around us. They suppress sound adequately for all but the loudest rifles in which case the addition of foam plugs would be helpful. I find that they resume normal amplified hearing virtually instantly after a shot. Even at a range shooting alone you would know if someone comes up behind you while using them. People talking in a normal voice a hundred feet or more away sound like they're right beside you. The volume is easily adjusted and mine shut off after (I think) 4 hours. Nice if you forget to turn them off but a minor annoyance if a match is still going on. When that happens just turn them off and back on and they're good for another 4 hours. I've spent more on older electronic muffs but far prefer the Howard Leights.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris