Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: need advise, hp collect system for mini bead lathe

need advise, hp collect system for mini bead lathe

I been working on a collect system to fit a mini bead lathe. I have the concept built it may or may not work can't test it. I used brass fitting from lowes and a local hardware store. the end that connects to the lathe was an 1/4 barb to 1/4 npt (can't find 1/8 barb to male 1/4 npt). these is where the problem is, first one I tried, I drilled off center (thanks to a worn out cheap drill press). the second, I cut the barb off flush with the face. logic was it would a centered hole. nope....

measured, from .002 to .100 off center.

pics of the project
    will be using a dowel or aluminum rod for the back spacer not a another boolit.

should of used another color pced or just a naked for these one

Boolit Master
    One of the old oil barges I once a long time ago had hexagon greasers with threads almost the whole length of the hex portion. you put a stick of grease in it and there was a T handled piece that when screwed down would force the grease into the bearing. Reason I mentioned this is because the T handled pusher generated a lot of pressure without using much force. Since you mentioned having a lathe you could use a short section of hex stock with threads on the hex and t handle to have the cast bullet enter a sizing die and would be much easier. History repeats itself so not taking credit but the old time schutzen shooters employed much the same gizmo. It sized and lubed the bullet at the same time. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Why reinvent the wheel per say. graingers, MSC, tool supply shops sell small to mid sized collets some with holders for machines. look for wheel collets for ID grinders mills and jewelers lathes. These smaller collet holders use a screw on closer also. Drill fixture collets would be about right. A lot of those pipe fitting arnt centered real close as it isn't needed. Drill collets and a holder will hold center to .0005 or closer.

ditching the idea of using the collet I made. once I improve my shop tools a little maybe I will revisit the idea. went back to my original idea for hp drilling. my just improve on it. be easier with what I have on hand.

Boolit Master
    A DRO on the tailstock will also help some with consistency for this purpose. Touch, set zero and drill to desired depth and repeat. Not perfect but better than what I have done in the past.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

it always happens, give up on a project or changed the plans you find what will work. found a collect system that could replace the chuck on my lil lathe. I was looking for shaft couplers, ran into on amazon.

It's a COLLET,,, not a collect.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I apologize
    Last edited by corey012778; 10-03-2018 at 08:02 PM. Reason: out of line

Little machine shop has some good prices on collets and collet chucks
    https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...ory=-421559299
    This is a link to there ER type collets and chucks....prices are very reasonable

Aaron

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by corey012778 View Post
    mostly was typing on my phone during break hit the wrong letter and it auto corrected wrong or just did not pick it up. I apologize for the wrong extra letter
    Be careful, you can get banner around here for that.

these post does not really matter now. going another route once I get few other projects done. already have in few parts that I order for project I am working on now that I used something else.