Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering a .300 Blackout pistol. Cast worthy cartridge?

LLA will work but is more trouble actually. Alloy needs to be harder and fit is more important. LLA works with GC bases OK but that is extra cost. Even with subs you're in the 30-40K psi range. PC is cheap, easy and works. There are a few tricks to learn but if I can do it you can too.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Searched again here on the forum. One poster referred to a long thread with lots of information that's in the alternative coatings section. Still trying to locate that one. hate rehashing old topics if there's existing threads. Thanks folks. Keeping up the hunt, and keeping an eye on PSA Daily Deals. Don.

Boolit Master

Speaking for myself only, powder coating is the best thing since sliced bread. I’m not one to jump on the bandwagon for new things very quick, and I was really hesitant about trying PC, but now I’ll never go back to lube, for a variety of reasons.

It’s funny, I never considered my reloads smoky before, but now I’ve gotten used to shooting PC ammo. I had a partial box of older lubed loads that I brought along to shoot, and was surprised at how smoky they are by comparison.

Boolit Buddy
    This is me.
    In a Cool Whip bowl place enough BLACK Air Soft Pellets to cover bottom of bowl. The type of material the bowl is made of makes a difference. #5 inside a triangle on the bottom of the bowl is the recycle type you want. The black colored Air Soft Pellets also makes a difference.
    Add 4 tablespoons paint powder, more or less. Too much or too little will not coat bullets evenly. Black pigment is the hardest to get decent coverage. Add 50 to 100 bullets to the bowl, depending on size.
    Place lid on bowl and shake or swirl around for several minutes to create a static charge. The correct ratio of bullets and powder will shorten the shaking time needed. All is trial and error. Coat enough to not see the lead of the bullets.
    With large tweezers or chop sticks remove bullets from bowl and place on a parchment paper lined tray from the toaster oven. Standing up is preferred. Smaller bullets may need 1/4" hardware cloth to lay bullets on side.
    In the 400° preheated oven place tray of bullets in it for 15 minutes.
    Remove from oven, let cool, resize bullets if you feel the need.
    Check your work by mashing one of the bullets with a sledge hammer. Hit as hard as you can and inspect how well the paint adhered.
    Benny

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE657BA8-3230-487D-8B3E-24E8332FDF2B.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	227803
    These are some of the bullets retrieved from a sand pile.
    Muzzle velocity 1492fps, impact velocity 1274fps, approx.
    Benny

Boolit Master

Properly applied powder coat will not come off. To test there is the "smash test." Smash a coated boolit with a hammer until it has been pounded flat. I smash 170 grain .40 boolits until they are larger than a nickel. The powder should remain adhered to the boolit. If it comes off then either the boolit was contaminated or it did not get hot enough for long enough when baked. It isn't hard to get the powder to stick, though. Many people here use powder from Smoke4320. It will save you the aggravation that goes with Harbor Freight PC powder. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...owder-For-sale Lots of application info there as well. There are endless hours of reading here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...d-Alternatives

Another thing you will notice when sizing is that the boolits go through the sizing die with much less resistance than they do with conventional lubes. Your firearms will look the same after shooting powder coated boolits as they do after shooting jacket bullets.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    When you decide to try PC'ing be sure NOT to use Harbor Freight powder. Get some from Smoke - his is for sure to work with tumbling. There are other good powders, but Smoke's powder is tested to be sure it will cover with tumbling, or he will tell you it doesn't tumble.

Boolit Master
    I've been seriously looking at a 300 blkout barrel (barrel only) for the AR. Am I correct in my assumption that regardless of barrel length it take a pistol length gas system to run subsonic reliably?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    I've been seriously looking at a 300 blkout barrel (barrel only) for the AR. Am I correct in my assumption that regardless of barrel length it take a pistol length gas system to run subsonic reliably?
    My 16" carbine has a carbine length gas and runs subs with most appropriate powders, it will not run with W296/H110 however. My son had a 16" carbine that ran fine with subs and W296/H110, he now has a pistol gassed SBR.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by scotner View Post
    I am using COWW plus 10% lino for mine. Regarding powder charge, you will just need to see where the gun shoots best. Looking at my test target you can see that more is not necessarily better as the group closed up with less powder (minus one flyer). Also, regarding reliable cycling, be sure to get an upper with the pistol gas system if getting a short barrel. Google that for more info.
    I’m a little late on this but most all of the ballistic advantage barrels are pistol length gas system.

Two things. Buy some CFE blackout powder. Trust me, it works. I futzed with my 9 inch pistol for a long while trying to make it cycle with h110, and other powder. Cfe worked the first time and every time. 155 to 230 grain bullets subsonic thru suppressor. Perfect

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

CFEblack seems to like full book loads for best performance. H110 shouldn't be down loaded below min. Pistol or carbine port is determined by length of barrel after the port so short barrels need the pistol port. Maybe even an H2 buffer.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Keep in mind the 300 bo is a little different animal. Many barrels up to 16 inches use a pistol length gas system for best function .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12