RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Stevens 44 smoothbore shell

Boolit Master

Stevens 44 smoothbore shell

Cleaning out the reloading room, came across this in the "assorted stuff" box. 44 shot shell for a Stevens break barrel.
    Heavy paper / light cardboard "capsule" holding the shot

I happen to have the gun also. My great grandmother kept the varmints out of the garden with it.

A 44 spl case chambers in the gun. Never gotten around to making some lightly loaded shells for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0954.jpg  
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master

NEAT
    Those lettuce munchers are in trouble!!
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Some links on the .44 shotshell and how to load them:

The Starline 5 in 1 Blank cases work well to assemble handgun shotshells useable in the .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .38-40, .44-40 and .45 Colt revolvers.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...-bulk-packaged

Powder charges must be kept mild due to the enlarged flash hole. I use 5 grains of Alliant Bullseye or 6 grains of WST or 231 and a Winchester Large Pistol primer. A Buffalo Arms .45 card wad must be inserted over the powder charge, first inserting the card sideways with tweezers, pushing it about halfway into the case, before rotating it to bridge across the interior case wall and then aligning and pressing it down against the powder using a 3/8" dowel. Next a Federal 410SC shot cup is inserted firmly against the card, seated with the dowel and its protruding wad fingers trimmed off with a sharp knife. It is absolutely necessary to use the .45 card under the plastic shot cup because it is not of sufficient diameter to prevent powder from otherwise leaking around it, which will cause bloopers. Load about 1/3 oz. of fine shot not larger than 7-1/2, to maintain adequate pellet count, within 1/8" of the case mouth. Insert a .38 cal. Buffalo Arms card wad over the shot and then crimp the shell using either a .44 Long Shot, .45 ACP Shot or Lee .308 Winchester seating die which has been shortened by 1" and a blank RCBS sizer-lubricator top punch positioned and adjusted in the seating stem collar to hold the top card at the mid point of the die shoulder, while the case mouth is bumped against the shoulder to form a nice, professional looking crimp. Waterproof the shell by painting the top wad with clear urethane or varnish. These produce rabbit and grouse killing patterns patterns at 20 feet with No.8s and burn rattlers to "snakeburgers" at 15 feet. More effective than the Speer factory shot and useable in a variety of guns. I pack 20 of these in each vehicle or aircraft survival kit.

http://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris...n%20a%2044.htm

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/t...ank-cases.html
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

The .44 shot cartridge is based on the .44-40 case. There is also a long and extra long version. I have one of those little shotguns too. I bought some brass .410 cases, annealed them really good, then ran them into a .44-40 sizing die, and cut to length. Load them with black powder and about 3/8 oz shot. Do not load up even close to a .410 load as the little guns will shoot loose quickly.

Boolit Master
    IIRC Marlin built some lever actions in .44 smoothbore.

Some Marlin Lever Action 45-70 actions have been assembled as .410 shotguns for the UK market. These could even be had with a suppressor. Suppressed smaller gauge shotguns are popular over there with horse breeders. They use these to eliminate varmints without scaring the horses.

Boolit Master
    Good info guys, thanks.
    I may have to get around to some testing this winter.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master

There is another name for these Marbles Game Getter.

Boolit Master
    I have used "Permatex" Gasket Cement to waterproof card top wads in 45 cal shot and blank shells back in the 1970s.
    Last edited by Chev. William; 11-17-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    My Great Grandma is supposed to have killed a Canada Goose with hers. It landed amongst her tame geese and evidently she declared war, it only took four or five shots to kill it.

My Dad told me that story forty plus years ago and I never was clear if it had happened when he was a boy or during the depression.

I have one of the little Stevens break open guns, imagine my surprise when the chamber turned out to be two inches in length. .444 Marlin cases trimmed to fit work fine, and I will be following Outpost75's loading advice. I'd like to try it out on rabbits.

Robert

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Here are some typical patterns of .44 No.8 shot loaded in Starline 5 in 1 blank cases, fired in a cylinder bore .410 at 25 ft. D1C repair center is 11 inches square, inner ring is 4 inches, outer ring 8 inches.
    A .410 factory 2-1/2", 1/2 oz. load of No.6 shot having similar pellet count is provided for comparison.

Attachment 230469
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Mine is in a nice light little Begian made SxS hammer gun produced by "Janssen Sons & Co.". Only weighs about 3 1/2 pounds. It's chambered for .44-40 shotshells (not the European 2" .410 ... .44 WCF shotshells).

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

Subscribed