Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: case sizing lube

Banned
    I have a bottle of Herter's case lube that is 90 weight gear oil.

Boolit Master

I use IMPERIAL Sizing wax for case forming and doing just a few cases. Have for ages. REDDING sells it now. The RCBS #2 is on my Lube pad & I use it when I size more than 10 Rifle cases. For big batches of .223,.308 & ought 6, .44WCF & .38WCF I use HORNADY spray on case lube, cleans of well easy.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Just today I was resizing some of my .45-70 brass and a few were really hard. I’ve always used RCBS lube, rolling on a pad. A while back a friend gave me some castor oil and said it works great for case lube.

Wow, what a difference! I’ll be using it from now on. I’ve heard some folks mix it with lanolin. I might give that a try too. I have found out that all lubes are not created equal.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shingle View Post
    I bought 2 tubs of Hornady unique case lube 5 years ago. i'm about half way done with the first one and i use this stuff alot. Only down side to it is if you leave the top off the cat that sits in my reloading room window will eat the hell out of it and then get sick (what a mess). The lube works for case and bullet sizing lube and doesnt damage coatings.
    Rub the cat with lanolin. Throw the cat and couple of thousand case into the dryer. Set on cool, spin for ten minutes. If the cat is yours, it will not come home for months. If it is the neighbor's cat, it will not come back, ever.

Boolit Grand Master

I've used most of the commercial lubes and several other things that were not marketed as case lube. Most of them worked, some better than others. Some were also easier to clean up than others. I've settled on two. I use Imperial for neck sizing and Dillon spray lube (Lanolin and alcohol) for everything else. I'll probably make my own when the Dillon gets used up. For clean up on the heavy STP type of lubes I've used everything from gasoline (use caution here), alcohol, mineral spirits, brake cleaner and probably some other stuff to cut the grease.

Boolit Master
    I personally don't shoot that high of a volume to warrant a spray type lube. What I use is either a RCBS pad with Hornady lube, Lee case sizing lube, or Hornady Unique in the tub.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    I'm quite fond of the Hornady Unique mixed with Heat for a spray lube. 1 oz of the lube with a bottle of Heat. I stand the cases up in a shallow shell tray and spray from two directions from above so the inside necks also get some lube. You want a shallow case tray so you get lube down at the base of the shell where it is most critical. Hornady One-Shot lube is great also and very clean, but more expensive then the home-made spray stuff.

If you have a progressive press, anything other than a spray lube is somewhat of a pain. But the spray is so fast and nice I hardly use anything but the spray even when using the old single-stage.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    In reading what others have said, I think I am going to mix one part lanolin and one part of the castor oil I already have. I like the idea of going to a spray type so I can get some inside the necks.

From what I have seen a lot of people are adding alcohol or heat. I assume that is to reduce the viscosity so it works in a spray bottle and then evaporates. How much to add? Equal parts or is it more or less trial and error? Does the strength of the alcohol make a big difference?

Thanks for your advice.

Boolit Bub
    I really like the Imperial sizing lube myself. No stuck cases.

Boolit Master
    1 part lanolin to 10 parts isopropyl alcohol is the best case lube I've ever used. Cheap too, and works in a spray bottle.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

I stuck a .380 case in a die using chapstick as a lube. I don't use it any more.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I stuck a .380 case in a die using chapstick as a lube. I don't use it any more.
    Thanks for the heads up....I never even thought about Chapstick...but if I do then I wont .

I once had some military 303 British cases that had been fired in a WWII era machine gun... the chamber was ..."extremely generous"...They were free but I had to size them down in three steps using STP oil treatment for lube...every other lube tried wanted to stick cases. I don't use STP regularly because it's so greasy, but if you ever have an extreme sizing job it will do the trick.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

I use a bath towel to lube large batches of cases with imperial sizing die wax, this works for other lubes as well.

Wash and dry a towel to remove whiteners and other left overs. Rinse several times.
    put a few fingers full of lube on towel while laying flat spread out over area
    put clean cases on towel
    add some more lube in the cases
    pick up corners each end in one hand
    Raise and lower hands agitating cases in the towel
    check often for correct coating. At first few uses towel will absorb a lot. as used less lube is required. I lubed 800-1000 308 cases at a time like this. Store the towel in a gallon ziplock bag when not in use. Once its impregnated adding lube and lubing is straight forward. if it becomes over lubed a little solvent and load of cases removes excess while lubing those cases.

This works well with the waxes, lanolins, stps, Crisco and others.

Boolit Buddy
    I started using the Lanolin and red Heat combo. and I got the exact thing as Dillon lube. The only difference is it separates and you need to shake the bottle before use. It is easy to clean off as it is water soluble.

What exactly is red heat or heat? I use the Dillion case lube on everything but my bottle is getting awful low and other than some hi grade iso alch that my pharmacy doesn’t sell not sure what I could add..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Still using rcbs case lube on a pad that I got 30 odd years ago ,haven't had any problems and its water soluble so easy to remove .

Boolit Master

Red heat is injector cleaner you can find in automotive section at walmart. Its just a more concentrated percentage of isopropyl alcohol .
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    What exactly is red heat or heat? I use the Dillion case lube on everything but my bottle is getting awful low and other than some hi grade iso alch that my pharmacy doesn’t sell not sure what I could add..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Super Moderator

I use the Dillon lanolin/alcohol spray lube. By far the easiest for me to use, works great. It's free too, every year when the wife asks me what I want for my birthday I tell her..."Dillon Case Lube".

Boolit Master

If red heet is just concentrated alcohol then why not just mix lanolin with de-natured alcohol. That’s a lot more concentrated and smells nice.

thanks for the info I’ll have a look next time I hit Walmart

Using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast