Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: case sizing lube

Boolit Master

case sizing lube

I was at our clubs last silhouette match for the year today and the subject of case sizing lube came up. One person said he had just purchased some lanolin and was going to mix with Iso Heat which I stated that that was a proven method. Two other guys said that they use chainsaw oil. Now at the time, I didn't think of asking if it was chain saw bar oil or chain saw 2 cycle oil. Has anyone ever tried using either as a sizing lube? Also the thought occurred to me if either of these oils would work if mix with Iso Heat as a spray on lube like the lanolin mix. The two guys that use chain saw oil stated it was a whole lot cheaper buying chainsaw oil than lanolin, which is true.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master

I think they were talking about chain oil.
    It is thicker than 2 cycle oil and has better lube qualities….dale

Boolit Master

I have been known to use vegetable oil too.

Boolit Grand Master

For me, the problems with any oil, (motor oil, STP, cooking oil, etc.) is not how it works for sizing, but the difficulty in removing post sizing. Have you ever tried to get STP off of anything?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Bar oil for chainsaws is very tacky and sticks ( what it needs to do in the spinning chain and groove of the bar). But it may take a solvent to remove from cases and dies. Ive never tried vegetable oils I have used Crisco shortening for case lube, It works and can be wiped off. anahydrous Lanolin is the old stand by for case forming sizing. I also like lee sizing die wax. Another that works very well is the water soluable swaging lubes like Lees water soluable sizing die lube. Lubes that dry hard can seal off the vent holes in dies and cause dent problems if not cleaned out.

Boolit Master
    Vaseline works, so does Vicks VapoRub, the first lube I used in the mid-'60s. I've never really done a comparison, but Imperial case lube may work a little better and it was designed for the job. Imperial is really very cheap when you consider how many cases you can lube with one tin. Haven't used the Redding water soluble case lube in a long time, but that's a good one too, as I remember.

Boolit Master

I used Neatsfoot Oil for years. In this century I have discovered Hornady One Shot and that is all I use now. I've tried others but One Shot is easy to clean off.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master
    I picked up a pound of lanolin a wile back to add to home made boolit lube but it seams like it will last me a lifetime so I have been using it for case lube also GRUMPA 's mix with Vaseline on a pad , as well as home made spray lube . I generally do brass work in the winter then brass is ready throughout the year my favorite is still Imperial wax for rifle brass .

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I've the same tub of Hornady Unique case lube for so long I don't remember buying it. L little dab will lube the sizing die for 4 or 5 brass. That tub last forever.

Boolit Master
    I also use the tubs of Hornady Unique case lube. My guess is that a tub last way more than 10 years and I shoot a lot. For the couple of bucks it cost, I can't imagine making my own.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I dump the cases in a container, get a few drops of Ballistol on my fingers, and run my fingers through the container. Does a good job of lubing. For necks, I have a small container of moly, and dip about every third case mouth in it. That leaves plenty slick for the next couple. Ballistol wipes off easily, as does the moly.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    I also use the tubs of Hornady Unique case lube. My guess is that a tub last way more than 10 years and I shoot a lot. For the couple of bucks it cost, I can't imagine making my own.
    This^ I have also been using the Hornady Unique case lube for more than 25 years and have tried all the "home made" stuff only to find out the Hornady stuff is far superior and lasts a long time and is easy to use and a simple wipe of the case with a paper towel removes it all.

Boolit Master

90/10 Heat in red bottle/Lanolin. Mix in spray bottle. I bought 3 big bottles of lanolin, and if I live to be 300 I'll still have some left over.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Bar oil for chainsaws is very tacky and sticks ( what it needs to do in the spinning chain and groove of the bar). But it may take a solvent to remove from cases and dies. Ive never tried vegetable oils I have used Crisco shortening for case lube, It works and can be wiped off. anahydrous Lanolin is the old stand by for case forming sizing. I also like lee sizing die wax. Another that works very well is the water soluable swaging lubes like Lees water soluable sizing die lube. Lubes that dry hard can seal off the vent holes in dies and cause dent problems if not cleaned out.
    Quote Originally Posted by LenH View Post
    I've the same tub of Hornady Unique case lube for so long I don't remember buying it. L little dab will lube the sizing die for 4 or 5 brass. That tub last forever.
    I agree. I got a small tub of Hornady unique case lube with my Pacific press when I started reloading brass cases in 1980 and I'm still using the same tub and have no idea how many rounds I've lubed with it. It's almost gone but picked up a new tub a while back when I made a Midway order. I'm sure I'm set for case lube for the rest of my days.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Cayton View Post
    I agree. I got a small tub of Hornady unique case lube with my Pacific press when I started reloading brass cases in 1980 and I'm still using the same tub and have no idea how many rounds I've lubed with it. It's almost gone but picked up a new tub a while back when I made a Midway order. I'm sure I'm set for case lube for the rest of my days.

Hornady case lube is basically lanolin with some other petroleum distillates. I used a small container and think I lubed around 10-15K cases. Don't take much!

Banned
    Pour 1 to 1 1/2 oz liquid lanolin into a red bottle of HEAT and drop a couple boolits in. Mark the bottle. Shake it up an add to your sprayer whenever it gets low.

For paste type lube I like mink oil (shoe protector) much cheaper than the name brands and works great for me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Pour 1 to 1 1/2 oz liquid lanolin into a red bottle of HEAT and drop a couple boolits in. Mark the bottle. Shake it up an add to your sprayer whenever it gets low.

For paste type lube I like mink oil (shoe protector) much cheaper than the name brands and works great for me.
    Thanks Grmps, (wow I coulda had a V8!) Great idea!

Boolit Buddy
    I bought 2 tubs of Hornady unique case lube 5 years ago. i'm about half way done with the first one and i use this stuff alot. Only down side to it is if you leave the top off the cat that sits in my reloading room window will eat the hell out of it and then get sick (what a mess). The lube works for case and bullet sizing lube and doesnt damage coatings.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shingle View Post
    I bought 2 tubs of Hornady unique case lube 5 years ago. i'm about half way done with the first one and i use this stuff alot. Only down side to it is if you leave the top off the cat that sits in my reloading room window will eat the hell out of it and then get sick (what a mess). The lube works for case and bullet sizing lube and doesnt damage coatings.
    I think I'd have my cat lubing a few thousand bullets! Just saying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Any oil, wax, or soap can be used. Simple and cheap is lanolin. A little dab-l-do-ya. I keep a bit on the fingers of my off hand, lubes the cases on the way to the press.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast