Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: SEEKING a HAMMER Drilling or Cape-Gun

Banned

Question SEEKING a HAMMER Drilling or Cape-Gun

Friends,

I'm trying to find a DRILLING or CAPE GUN with exposed/outside hammers & that is a suitable condition for hunting Red Deer & Wild Boar.
    (IF you are curious about WHY : The "border area" between 2 nations in Eastern Europe that used to allow NON-citizens to hunt with ONLY muzzleloaders OR single shot BP weapons made before 1890 is as of 15AUG18 allowing "visiting hunters" to hunt with Drillings or Cape-Guns.)
    Rifled-barreled arms are limited to one shot w/o reloading. Smoothbores may have 2 or more barrels.
    (I have been invited to hunt a large private estate near the border of the 2 countries, for Red Deer, Wild Boar, wolves & small game.)

In either case, the drilling/cape gun should be acceptable for smokeless powder & at least a 7mm bore. A bore of 9mm or greater would be preferred.

If anyone has such a firearm for sale (or knows of one for sale at a reasonable price), please PM me.

THANKS for reading this request.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 09-23-2018 at 05:03 PM. Reason: typos

Boolit Man
    The guys here might be able to help:

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/122-dr...tion-guns.html

Or at Guns International searching for Drilling.

Or, you might ask your host about borrowing something. I am sure they would understand your situation.

Best of luck on your hunt.

Mike

Hmmm....just thinking.....would a Sharps or Sharps replica work? Single shot, exposed hammer. Not too hard to find.

Banned
    Der Giburgsjager,

Sorry, that I was evidently unclear.

I'm looking for a DRILLING or a CAPE-GUN, rather than any single-shot rifle. - A Sharps is unsuitable for small game, imo.
    (Because of the PREVIOUS restrictions on "foreign hunters", I bought TWO large-bore, single-shot rifled muskets in 11.15x56mm & a .50-70 RB. Then they changed the law. = What I said, under my breath, was unprintable.)

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    Encore or Contender

Boolit Master
    Check on Simpsonltd. They import a lot of used guns from Europe. Be the first place i'd look.

Boolit Man
    Simpsons has a lot...just checked.

An over/under, i.e. shotgun over rifle is what I had in Germany. 12 gauge loaded with a Brenneke slug over 9.3x74R worked well for me. German word for this type is Bockbuchsflinte.

Banned
    falmike,

Would I be correct that you are also a Jager??

yours, tex

Boolit Man
    Yes Sir, earned my German Hunting license in 1999. By that time, even military had to pass a course that finished with a multi-part shooting test, then written test, then oral exam proctored by a German official.

Great times there!

Did you have to do something similar?

Banned
    falmike,
    I went to Jagerschule in FEB/MAR 1970. = We took the test in German (which I read POORLY), qualified on the firing range in front of a Forststampsmeister & then had an oral exam by a German attorney.
    (Requirements for a Jagdschein changed over the years.)

Btw, my II-B Hirsch skull mount & my BEST Boar trophy "went over the side" (At least according to a "sworn statement"), along with my crate of rifles/shotguns, while being loaded aboard ship in Bremerhaven, to return to CONUS in 1972. = I was PHYSICALLY ILL, about that, too.
    ($$$$$$ cannot replace hunting trophies or some firearms. = One that I cannot replace was my circa 1850 heavily-engraved 11mmX14 gauge ML combination gun.)

Historical Note: In 1971, the K-town Rod & Gun Club sold Kar98-based Mauser "sporters" for 49.oo each OTD. = Wishing that I had bought a dozen of them!!!!!
    (Hindsight is 20/20.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 09-23-2018 at 11:41 PM. Reason: typos/addenda

Boolit Master
    Texasnative46,the loss of your crate of guns and trophies has made ME ILL, but I think they are probably sitting in someones collection in Germany , or some pawn shop.

Banned
    Gewehr-Guy,

I suspect that one of the employees at Bremerhaven ended up with my property & despite the fact that I got (almost immediately, which I found "rather suspicious") a fairly large check, "for your regrettable & unavoidable loss", that did NOT make me "whole" and/or "a happy camper".

Btw, "unavoidable" means: Eaten by a shark, trampled by a stampede, stuck by lightening, blown away by a tornado, (possibly) a terrorist attack or something similar.

Fwiw, a II-B Hirsch is a NICE but NOT spectacular trophy BUT it was MY trophy. - Otoh, I seriously doubt that I'll ever in this life take a wild boar even close to being as BIG as my "Big 'ole boy" was.
    (I got him while sitting on a tree-stump to rest my feet, have a drink of water, while awaiting the first sounds of the hunt AND suddenly, as if by magic, THERE HE WAS, only about 50M away.- By far the BIGGEST boar that I've ever seen. = To me he LOOKED every bit as big as a BUICK in the last fading light.)

At that time, crates that contained "items of significant monetary or artistic value" were required to be "described in full on your personal property inventory, including any serial numbers or other identifying marks" & the crate's contents "clearly marked on the exterior of the container". = That "marking"constitutes a "shopping list" for CRIMINALS.

Personally, IF the crate was stolen, I truly hope that the thief shot themselves with one of my rifles/shotguns. = Fwiw, I spent WAY TOO MUCH money every month at WAFFEN BENNEWITZ & eventually had a LARGE wooden crate FULL of "treasures". (One of my treasures was a circa 1890-1910 hunting knife OR maybe "hunting short sword" is more correct, that once belonged to a Bavarian COL of the pre-WWI era & who was KIA in 1916.) =====> After a while, "Otto" would call me when he got 19th & early 20th Century items into the store & that he suspected that I would want.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 09-24-2018 at 03:13 PM. Reason: addenda

Boolit Master

Here's another source for what you might be looking for. They were in Greenwich, Ct. at one time, and I happened to pass by there many years ago, so stopped in. Some gorgeous stuff, way above my pay grade.

http://www.hallowellco.com/

Banned
    Alstep,

WAY, WAY above my pay-grade, too.

Fwiw, I saw a VERY SIMILAR Combination Gun of the 1940-1960 period at the last gun-show in The Alamo City, with an "asking price" of 1200.oo, to one that that firm is asking 7,000.oo for.

yours, tex

Boolit Man
    Texasnative46,

I am sorry to learn about your losses.

Your Hunter course sounds like it was very similar to mine. By the time I did it, they held a Germany-wide consolidated test at the Heidelberg Rod and Gun club.

I was fortunate enough to hunt both privately and through the Forestry Service in/around the Hanau area; good times!

I wish you all the best on your hunt!

Waidmansheil!!!

Banned
    falmike,

My class was at a school library in Landstul & we had students for about 50KM in every direction.

WALDMANSHEIL to you as well, Herr Jager.
    (Those "days of yore" were GOOD days. = Remind me to tell you about my "15 minutes of fame" at a St Hubertus day kesseljagd or "CIRCLE hunt" = I believe that you will laugh AT, rather than WITH me, as I did later.).

I got to go hunting all over BRD as much as I did as our CG was PLEASED by my "minor celebrity" in our little town as a dedicated "wildschwein" hunter. = GOOD for German-American relations, said "THE BOSS".

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 09-24-2018 at 10:59 PM. Reason: typos/spelling