Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: FWB 602 first shots!

Boolit Master

FWB 602 first shots!

I bought a FWB from Jim Edmondson in late August. The gun came in with a blown exhaust seal.

After some back and forth through email JIM figured out what was wrong. He didn't offer to pay for parts just gave me a link to a thread on how to fix it and a eBay link to parts.

I just paid 825 for a gun that came in not working. It didn't make me happy but it is what it is.

I work A lot and finally found a few hours to fix the gun today. I shot several shots getting the gun sighted in and decided to shoot a 10 shot target for score.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0923181447.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	227654

I'm a very good offhand shooter with a scope. I have been struggling with a couple 22lr match guns. I think I need some practice with sight. By the end of the session I was calling my shots much better.

I really like the gun and it's a lot of fun. I need to get some practice in and shoot some respectable scores.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0923181449~2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	227655

Boolit Master
    Fine rifle, too bad about the agravation but suspect it will fade as you get to know it. Dont know about your experience with match sights, but most people dont get enough light around the bull. Be sure you use a front rong that gives you a good bright ring arround the bull, same for rear. Your eye will center everything fine, better too big than too small, especially standing. I actually shoot better with the match sights than a scope. Keeping everything in the black is dang good place to work from.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

That’s a fine looking rifle. I think you did VERY well getting adjusted to irons from being used to a scope.
    It’s obviously a very accurate rifle too.

It is good to hear that you were able to get the rifle sealed again . I once bought a advertised 25 caliber talon from Paul a former PA video maker . It ended up a 22 caliber . I asked that he exchange the barrel for the right one . Never happened . Here is a site that might be able to help you with site parts if you need to get some .Marvin
    http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...yBody&c=OPSIGE

Boolit Master
    I worked 12 hrs today but wanted to do a little shooting in the back yard any way. After a few shots I figured my rear amature is way too small. Kits not adjustable but I have the sight all the way foward. Moving my eye closer to the amature really helped. I started hitting 10a and 9s. I just need to move the sight toward the rear a little. Much more fun today.

The gun is heavy. I already see the benefit of having a place to rear it in between shots.

Are you aware of Pyramyd Air? They have everything known to man for airguns.

The fact you only paid $825 for a $2000 gun should ease your hate for the guy who sold it to you.

The breech seals are about $3-5.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I don't hate the guy. He is a very reputable dealer and I expected a gun in good working order. It was listed at 95% condition. This gun has been dis****uned since around 1995. 825 is a fair price for the gun.
    It wasn't a breech seal. It was an exhaust seal.

Any way..... I shot for a while today. I really like shooting 10m. It is challenging, rewarding, and frustrating all in one 10 shot target. I played around and moved the sight back. Shot about 50 shots and decided to shoot a couple of targets for score. I shot a 79/100 and 81/100.

If you are really trying you won't run through a lot of pellets.

I set a goal of 85/100 for a single target. Just going to keep trying to work my way up. I'm really thinking this will help me with my 22lr shooting.

This FWB has the best trigger I have ever felt.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Nearsighted so I just put glass on everything, pretty much. Irons work well for some though Pretty darn good for starting off with it! Springers don't quite act the same as a .22, the noise is different, threw me off with my FWB124 when I started.

Boolit Master
    I'm a big Springer fan. I shoot a TX200 and love it. The FWB602 is single stroke pnlunatic. The biggest difference is weight. I wish I would have bought a Anschutz 1710 instead of the 1712. I don do as well with a light rifle

GARD72977 - Adding weight is easy; Lead attached maybe inside the stock / to the forearm?

Sounds like you are enjoying it none the less.

They frustrating guns to shoot, even my HW Springers are like that sometimes. The Trigger on my FWB 300 was about 3 OZ. and required a very light caress to discharge. your's is probably the same or close.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master
    Glad you are enjoying the rifle, no too many of us that like poking little holes in paper from offhand! You made a good move with the rear sight, I usually have the rubber cup almost touching my face. Its a repeatable location allowing consistency, then make an adjustment and shoot enough to confirm it was a good change. Keep tweeking and testing one thing at a time. Too little light and your brain will "fill in the gaps", you will see what you expect to see. Same with holding too long, image can "freeze", leading you to think your wobble zone is tighter than reality. 80% is a solid score, your doing a lot of things right!
    I was shooting my FWB300 today and the weight of a match rifle and standing position is a pretty good workout. Get you a stand to rest the rifle so you don,t have to muscle it arround between shots. Gotta go find mine, been years!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Moving the sight made a big difference. I ordered some different pellets to try. Had some luck with RWS Diabilo. I shot an 86 today. Things are improving. I'm a very strong off hand shooter but this gun was humbling! I'm sure I can get in the 90s before long. I do have a place to rear my gun. I usually take 3 shots then test for about a minute. I'm getting old. Going to have to buy a cheap binocular so I can see the hole in the target.

This gun is proving to be a lot of fun. I'm going to try to make it to the shooting range this weekend. I hope the practice helps me with the BSA Martini and the Walther.

I finally caved & bought an actual decent spotting scope, helps a lot at 20-60x to see those tiny holes.

Boolit Master
    86 is strong. If you can get loght on your backstop you will see the hole lots better, backlight the target. I used a cheap led flashlight. Shoot a benchrest/solid rest group of 10 at 10meters. The group should be barely bigger than a pellet,say .25 MAX hole size. If not you need better pellets. The nice thing is that decent practice pellete, HN for example are didt cheap compared to decent target 22s! Thats how I wound up with a Walther 10meter pistol rather than the Hammerli free pistol I have always lusted after! Pyrmid air has good prices and you can do a sampler pack to see what it likes.Champions Choice has what you need and is close to Nashville. Be careful if you go in there, money seems to evaporate. They stock, like on hand, all the cool stuff! Wrapped my hand arround the Walther and when my wife said "go ahead, you know you want it" well there went 1200$ + a treat for her. Know how that works
    Oh, yep the airgun will definately help your smallbore! Shooting a trcoiling springer will Really Really Really help your follow thru! The single stroke still has lots of barrel time compared to a 22. The light behind the target helps me stay with the shot to see the hole appear in the center of the sight picture, instant feedback!
    Do some pellet testing, if you are already at 86, you need to KNOW that a nine is on you not the hardware!
    Last edited by rking22; 10-04-2018 at 10:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    I shoot outside. I have been reading and have learned a few things. I have started coming down on the target instead of up. I have also started shooting both eyes open. It is very strange at first. I can say Im getting more 10s now but I'm also getting some wild shots. Going to take some time to make Tues changes automatic.

I'm really glad I started trainning for 10m. I have no intention on competition but I want to be good at it.

I shot H&N pellets almost exclusively before I found Pyramid Air Now I have found JSB Pellets to be very good in all 4 of my guns.

These are all .22 and the H&N's are on the left, and JSB's on the right. All these pellets are one ragged hole at 10M except the big one on the far right. It weighs 25 gr! My R1 will shoot it pretty well, but my HW77 won't as it is not powerful enough.

Randy

Boolit Master
    I am shooting JSB in my 300s presently, but not tuned back up enough to say how good they shoot. They do shoot better than my HN wadcutters at 25+ yards. Thats ehy I got them, shooting spinners at 25 yards with a match rifle,,,, fun fun ��

Yeah the flat nosed .177 pellets aren't much good beyond about 15-20 yards. Super accurate at 10 M.

.22's are good to about 30 yards.

The .22 cal Barakudas work great out past 50 yards and JSB Exact are similar. Both are around 18-21 gr.

The JSB exacts in .177 are 8.7 gr and they are good to 40 yards in my HW35's which are not super powerful but are super accurate out to 40 yards. Not much left after that when starting at 725 ish fps.

Randy

Boolit Master
    True, but they don't cut clean,nice eazy to score holes in 10meter targets��
    I wish there was more interest in 10 meter shooting near me. One school has a team, but nothing much for us grownups. Looking forward to Gard's updates.