RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: New Hobo stoves

Boolit Master

New Hobo stoves

I’ve made a few Hobo stoves and have used them a fair amount. Am always looking at new ideas but watch these videos on YouTube for a new take on them, or rather a new way to obtain them..... IKEA hobo stoves ........ enjoy, Todd

Boolit Master

no links that i can find
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Those look useable, but I always preferred the rocket stoves, which seemed IMO to be a civilian Dakota Fire Hole taught to us in the Army.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fig07-02.gif 
Views:	42 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	227646
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    I think you are talking about the IKEA container that holds kitchen utensils ??? Stainless with 1/4 in holes in it... cut a square in one side and put 4 bolts on bottom=hobo stove ...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    I think you are talking about the IKEA container that holds kitchen utensils ??? Stainless with 1/4 in holes in it... cut a square in one side and put 4 bolts on bottom=hobo stove ...
    Yep that’s it exactly!! I like seeing “stuff” getting used and re-purposed for other duties! Todd

Omega: a Dakota fire pit is another option I would like to try this winter, or fall for that matter..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 3leggedturtle View Post
    Yep that’s it exactly!! I like seeing “stuff” getting used and re-purposed for other duties! Todd

Omega: a Dakota fire pit is another option I would like to try this winter, or fall for that matter..
    Done right they work great, I like them because you don't have alot of flame/sparks above ground level. But they can be hard to build in certain terrains such as sandy or rocky ones. But they (rocket version) can be build as in the video, or with cinder blocks.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

I have one of those Ikea stoves, did not even put bolts in bottom.

Set it in an old pie tin, drop in a handful of twigs, short squeeze of hand sanitizer, or bug spray and a quick zap from a ferrocerium rod and you have fire. Just right for cooking a couple of hot dogs, or making a cup of stream side cowboy coffee.

I also have a home made alcohol stove from a pop can that can go inside if fuel outside is wet.

Light weight, not a terrible space waster, and effective.

I also like this little guy which I made a couple of improvements to.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I added a paper clip pin to prevent opening the door to cause the whole stove to collapse.
    And a couple of copper ground wire pieces for the top to make it less tippy with larger pots.

I like the looks of this one, at 17$ pretty affordable. Have not tested it yet. Give me a month.
    Its packed for the big adventure trip to Arkansas.

Boolit Master
    Arkansas has a lot of nice backwoods river wildlife areas. Dewitt has a really nice park too.