RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lee .54 caliber 380 grain

Banned

Lee .54 caliber 380 grain

Several years ago, I bought a little CVA in .54 from a young man who had it advertised locally real cheap. The gun looks unfired, very plain, small and light, has a synthetic stock, not a nice rifle, but seems serviceable. I haven't in a few years, but muzzle loader used to be my primary method for deer hunting, mostly with an Investarms Hawken in .50 caliber using the Lyman Plains Bullet. The three best buck I ever killed were with that combo.

I want to use this little CVA if it shoots well enough. I cast some of the Lee 380 grain REALs last night. I plan to use Pyrodex and give it a try this morning. The rifle has a 1 in 48 twist according to the markings on the barrel. I'm thinking around 70 grains, sure don't want much more than that in a rifle this light. The stand I plan to hunt won't allow a shot at more than about 40-50 yards this time of year, but it's a great spot on a through fare for deer where I almost always see quite a few come through. Will that twist work with conicals? No concerns about terminal performance, I know this will get it done if I shoot true.

Is 70 grains a good start? Could 60 work better? I thought I had a RB mold for .54, but couldn't seem to locate it. We're in the middle of our muzzle loader season and I haven't even been out yet, it's been too hot anyway. Next Saturday will be the first time I'll probably get out. Sure wish I had been ready to go this morning, went outside about an hour ago to let the dog out and it is cool and moist with an almost full moon. Waiting for the sun to come up now so I can make some smoke and sling some lead.

Boolit Master
    The 1-48" twist is what T/C used in their Hawken rifles, and they were supposed to work equally well with either PRB or conical bullets. I have a 1-32" twist Lyman Great Plains Hunter and it shoots conicals very well. I settled on 80 grains of 2F, but the Lyman is significantly heavier than your rifle. I would start with 60 grains, and see what kind of accuracy you get. Deer (normally) aren't all that difficult to kill, and a .54 hole (or two) makes them leak pretty badly.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Banned

Until just a few years ago, most of my deer kills were with muzzle loaders and I used that Lyman Plains bullet with some pretty heavy loads. Got the job done and I only ever recovered one bullet, but now older and smarter, I realize what I used was unnecessarily powerful, having killed quite a few with considerably less powerful cast in small bores. I stopped kidding myself a few years ago about needing to reach very far too, most of the deer I kill seem to be within archery ranges or just a bit farther.

Thanks for the info, the 1 in 48 seemed like it might be a bit slow for conicals like this. I'll try 60 grains. Handling this rifle, I'm afraid it's gonna pound the daylights out of me getting it sighted, less is definitely better if it shoots well.

Boolit Master
    Lee makes the REAL in 300,380, and 440 gr. versions. The 380gr. should be the perfect match for the 48" twist, the 300 for the slower 60=66" twist and the heaviest for the quick twist. I have used the 380 gr (mine weighed 375) In a slow twist 1-60 Lyman GP rifle with 90gr. of 3f Goex. It worked , but ended up using patched round balls with the same charge. The round balls were more accurate. Even with the heavier 32" bbl rifle the recoil was substantial.

Banned

I may need to add some weight to this rifle, should be easy to do with the synthetic stock. No recoil pad on it, just a hard butt plate. Might need to get a slip on one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I may need to add some weight to this rifle, should be easy to do with the synthetic stock. No recoil pad on it, just a hard butt plate. Might need to get a slip on one.
    Not might but most likely and do try a card/wad under the REAL .I did and made a (real difference)Ed

Banned

Well, they shot alright. Considering the heavy trigger and primitive sights. About 3" groups consistently at 50 yards using a less than stellar bench set up with no rear support. The only adjustment the sights have is being drifted left and right, no elevation. Fortunately, 60 grains of Pyrodex RS hot to point of aim. At 50 yards, which is a long shot where I'll sit, Bambi would be dead every time.

Going to try some card wads as suggested when I get a chance. Those .54s make a big hole.

Boolit Master
    I was just about to suggest a slip-on recoil pad. You might be able to install a mercury filled recoil buffer in the stock - just a thought. I also neglected to mention that I used Wonder Wads with my rifle, and they did make a significant difference in accuracy.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.