RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Good old days

Boolit Master

Good old days

I guess I'm set for plenty of 30-06 ammo for the Garand for a while, at "olden day" prices. I picked up an 8ld jug of 4895 today at a gun show (Bartlett pulldown) for cheap, about $10/lb. I've got several thousand NC GI primers that I picked up at another show a while back for a penny apiece. I found several hundred pieces of '06 brass for a nickel each today, and I have an ammo can completely full of 150fmj M2 bullets stashed away from a few years back when they could be had for a nickel apiece.

I don't even shoot the M1s very much anymore. I might as well sell off the cans of CMP ammo I have stashed that I'll never use. Not much to contribute beyond that, I guess, other than it's nice to be able to find some good deals once in a while again. My son is becoming a fairly good shot and is just now entering the "trigger happy" phase where he likes to load up 25 round 10/22 magazines and empty them as fast as he can. I expect it won't be too long before he's helping me empty M1 clips as well.

Soooo.......I guess what you're saying is that the good old days are now?

Boolit Buddy
    “These are the good ‘ol days”
    Carole King

Agree, these days right here are just fine.

Yesterday had my son in law to the range.
    He had mentioned that he has been waiting 15 years for his dad to take him out and teach him to shoot. Never happened. Although he did for his other 2 sons.

So when Son in Law moved back to Fargo in Aug and I heard about this I figured I could do something about it.
    So I started him on a pair of H&R single shot rifles, 25 yards. 200 gr cast over 6.5 of Red Dot.

I put one round dead center into the bull to show him the gun is right on.

He put 3 more right beside it. Repeated with the other gun.
    Got a little tougher as he moved out to 50, he has some to learn yet. But the basics are there. Just needs time, practice.

So we went over to the pistol side. Started him with a Ruger Mk III 22/45 with a red dot on top.

20 feet. put 2 in the 2" stick on bullseye and said ok. Go to it.

His first 2 were off slightly, then he had it dialed in. He put 8 in a nice group just a smidge bigger than a pop bottle cap, but smaller than a golf ball.

Same with the next 3 guns.
    Ruger New Model Single Six in .32H&R mag 6.5" barrel shooting .32sw long 90 gr over 2 gr of Red Dot.
    Couple not so good then he figured it out, clustered em up nice dead center.

Same right on down the line.

Roger, don't need to worry about your granddaughter katie, her man is going to do just fine sir.
    Sure reminded me of that day I met you and you ran me through the test.

Yes these are the days indeed.
    Might have to start giving away a few safe queens.

Boolit Master

Yep, good old days. My kids are young now, but I know I'm going to blink my eyes twice and they'll be grown and moved away. I'm not going to make the same mistake my dad made at this age, get to busy with work that he missed all the important stuff.

Boolit Master

I raised 2 both in early 20's now I am raising the under 10 trio , good old days wished I had stashed more when it was but money was dear and not as much spendable income then , now its work on house , but am building the playhouse for them even though at 12x16 with 8 foot plus ceilings and windows and doors it enough I could live in it.