Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder storage discussion and question???

Boolit Master

Powder storage discussion and question???

Wife said get it put away!! After the 8 years of Bummer admin and now better supply of powder I have lots of random cans, mostly the 1 lb variety stored about. I'm wanting to get the stored units into some kind of proper "magazine" and have a separate "magazine" for the in use cans. Have about 50 lbs of a variety from tall round Reloader cans to short round IMR to square type VV to square Accurate to metal Dupont, Elephant, and plastic Shutzen and Swiss holy black cans and even some of the older 8 oz metal cans of powder. Heck, even have a couple of "Quaker Oats type" paper cans of cannon and F grade black from when we divided up 25 lb bags. So looking at some type of storage for about 50 cans of 1 lb @ and another easier to get storage for 5 or 6 cans of 1 lb @. How do you guys store and what do you suggest?

AND NO I don't think this is a lifetime supply, leastwise when I consider myself and 3 more generations that are here now and depending on "granddad" for a lot of guidance and stuff.
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master

Well - you could get lucky like me and find a nice fire safe to store it all in. Mine is an old Remington-Rand safe that has 3 inch walls of fire brick inside steel. Or you could just build a powder magazine from 1 inch ply, plans for which can be found by Googling...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	168156953.ELRuEFTE.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	227609

Moderator Emeritus

FYI, most municipalities have ordinances that specify SAAMI/NFPA specifications.

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...ess-Powder.pdf
    11-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities
    not exceeding 20 lb. (9.1 kg) shall be permitted to be stored in original
    containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb. (9.1 kg), but not
    exceeding 50 lb. (22.7 kg), shall be permitted to be stored in residences
    where kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least
    1 in. (25.4 mm) nominal thickness
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I have never had a problem storing powder on the shelves of a regular closet in the original powder container , heating and air conditioning seems to keep it from sweating , I never store powder in the basement , garage , or attic .

Boolit Master
    I store the open stuff on a shelf near the press, inventory goes in stackable Coleman coolers in a closet.

One of the worst ideas is what Baja_traveler did. In a fire you want it all to burn, trying to save it by sealing it in a steel box creates a bomb. His particular box will keep the temps down for a while, but it’ll get hot enough eventually to ignite and the box is not going to contain the explosion.

Boolit Master
    thanks all!! Now the question is: What the H is 1 inch "nominal" thickness? Is it as in commercial finished lumber like a 1 X 4 which is actually 3/4 inch thick by 3 & 1/2 inch wide? Or is it actually wood of a whole 1 inch thickness.

Seems the lumber industry calls 3/4 inch the "nominal" size for 1 inch.

I have access to used surplus military artillery shell boxes and they are rugged but are only the "nominal" 1 inch, which actually is 3/4 inch thick wood.

There plenty of AH regulation enforcers that be glad to lock you up for being short even 1/8 inch of wood.

Again thanks! 10
    Last edited by 10 ga; 09-23-2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Safety 1st, then accuracy!

MOLON LABE

Boolit Master
    If that 1/4 inch becomes a problem , it's probably the least of your concerns . I keep all my powder and primers in one strategic place in my home ( in case of a house fire ) along with the majority of loaded ammo . A few fire extinguishers placed around the house would probably be more useful . That reminds me I better go check the fire extinguishers !

Boolit Master
    I have always considered "Nominal" to mean "Minimum".
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Deck boards are usually 5/4"s ( Five -Quarters) or about 1-1/8th inch thick after planing, so they would meet the "nominal" thickness of 1" if you chose to build powder magazine or two for your powders.

P.S.- I live in a small town which only allows me to have 25 pounds in the house. If I went larger, I have to build a "in ground" powder magazine outside a certain distance form occupied buildings. < just some examples.
    It may be a good idea to research your Local laws/ordinances.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Nominal means "in name only." A 2x4 is actually 1 1/2x3 1/2 and a 1x6 is actually 3/4x5 1/2. A box built with nominal 1 inch material would be made from 3/4 inch thick boards. That is unless the "code" has some funky definition.

I made my powder box from 3/4 inch plywood (which is actually 23/32 of an inch). I don't expect any inspectors will ever be here. I live outside the city limits and do whatever I want.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Nominal means "in name only." A 2x4 is actually 1 1/2x3 1/2 and a 1x6 is actually 3/4x5 1/2. A box built with nominal 1 inch material would be made from 3/4 inch thick boards. That is unless the "code" has some funky definition.

I made my powder box from 3/4 inch plywood (which is actually 23/32 of an inch). I don't expect any inspectors will ever be here. I live outside the city limits and do whatever I want.
    OK. Thanks!
    Works for me.

My boxes for storage of primers & powders are over an inch thick.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Master

I've done a lot of research on this, scoured maybe 10 or 15 other forums and discovered many folks storing their powder in their sheds, garages, patios what have you. They claim that even in the most humid climates, powder remains fine if lid is screwed on tight. I, personally store most of mine on shelf in my reloading room attached to carport. I keep the window unit on around 78 or 79 and never had a problem. As far as safety is concerned, yes if you have an exorbitant amount, by all means store in some type of flammable cabinet. Black powder is an explosive. Smokeless powder is not. Rather, smokeless powder is a propellant which cannot be made to explode.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    baja traveler that safe unless it is vented and being a fire safe i am sure it is not that could be one big bomb in event of a fire most fire safes are only good for a limited amount of time and that doesn't mean they don't get good and hot inside. as far as storing powder you might want to check your insurance company most have restrictions on how much you can store . locality may also have regulations. all approved powder storage containers are vented to allow the gas to vent and not build up pressure.

Boolit Master

I use an old solid oak wall locker I got off Paris Island! It has 3/4" sides and a three drawer cabinet, lockable and nice locking. Maybe a surplus store has one near you!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    as far as storing powder you might want to check your insurance company most have restrictions on how much you can store .
    I have never been asked by my insurance company what I store in my home. Have you?

Boolit Master
    Your local fire code is what you want to look at. If it is the National Fire Code, it currently limits you to 20 lbs of all types of powder. The Internztional Fire Code has a 50 lbs limit. They both are for within a structure. A magazine of 50 lbs capacity can be bought online.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    ****, I'm gonna have to shoot a lot of sighters with hunting season coming on. Getting under the 20 pound is problematic. Guess I'll just keep my mouth shut and keep hoarding whatever I want. Store safely just to keep the fambly happy. Of course I can just load a whole bunch of my cast boolit ammo and it'll be stored in brass cases. Have some loaded ammo that is over 130 years old and it still goes "BOOM". Holy black and what granddad called "hot brown" powder. Lead boolits and soft "swan, duck and peep" shot. Roll crimped #8, #10 and #12 shells hand marked as S, D or P. Yes, have a #8 dbl barrel hammer that great granddad used for market hunting. Hope all have safe storage and no problems with the local "regulators". 10

MOLON LABE

Boolit Master
    I haven't heard that for a while ( regulators ) government men , your going to tell your age .

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i have never been asked but agent was doing inspection of home to see if we had enough coverage and saw that i reloaded and mentioned that anything over 20 pounds of propellant would void the policy. agent was in the nra so he was just warning me. not completely sure how they would determine how much you had. also mentioned it needed to be in approved container. thats how i knew a storage container had to be vented.

Boolit Master

I made mine out of some short pieces of 2 x 12 and keep it in the basement. My thought is put the magazine on the basement floor because heat rises. If I'm not out of the house by the time it burns through I'm dead anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P9250057.jpg   P9250058.jpg  
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast