Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Found a Stevens 15A

Boolit Master

Found a Stevens 15A

Well I took another one home today, was wandering around a local gun store and found over on the used gun rack a cute little single shot bolt action made by Stevens.
    The metal looked good with most of the bluing still there but the stock needed to be refinished, no major dings, just a worn out finish on the stock which looks like it might be walnut.
    I don't know if I paid too much for it but the rifle went out the door for $75.00. I'm a sucker for lower priced oldies like this one and plan to have some fun refinishing it. I've also been looking for a bolt action .22 for my collection , guess the stars were right.
    The rifling looks good and it might turn out to be a fun little iron sighted plinker in the future. Already put a couple rounds through it so I know it shoots which is a beginning.

Attachment 227601
    Click to enlarge.

Here's mine. Got it for Christmas at age 12, and learned to shoot with it. Took all sorts of small game. I refinished the stock, but the metal was and still is at about 95% with no rust. Mine didn't have a buttplate, but my brother got his about 3 years later and it did have one. Just about the perfect beginner's rifle, as being a single shot one has to make that one shot count. And with the action requiring manual cocking it's either very safe or ready to shoot with no in between.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I don't think you got took . The Stevens .22 rifles I've handled shot very well , making it pretty is just what we do .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    It's the later model with the butt plate and the stock looks like a white wood, maybe birch or beech. Going to take my time on the refinishing and try to get it pretty again. Fired a couple of LR's through it so it works like it should.

I bought a similar Stevens at an action. Rifle was grungy but no rust, I think I paid around $50. A
    week later when I got around to cleaning it up, it turned out to be a 25rf, not a 22 as advertised.

Boolit Grand Master

In 1979 we cleaned out an old evidence locker and I got one of those. I cut the barrel to 16" shortened and refinished the stock and gave it to my then 7 year od daughter. Since then it went form daughter to son to nephew to grandkids and is now waiting on the next generation. That gun has been shot a lot by us and who knows how much before that. They never wear out.

I had to restake the firing pin on one once. Coal simple and diamond accurate. My broinlaw bought one in 1978 at a first Monday for $25 and it remains his only .22 rifle. He's good with it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I have a hand me down from my grandfather. It was his first rifle.

The simplicity of a single shot bolt action, the need for patience and accuracy, and the thought of all the years of hunting and shooting that the rifle has been through bring me loads of joy in shooting it. She doesn’t come out often, but when she does, she is generally out for hours! I’ve taken her small game hunting a few times and she brings home supper. Definitely one of my favorites.

Boolit Master
    Been working on refinishing the stock and just about have it done. Should of taken some before pictures and need to do the final assembly before getting any after pictures. It's looking good with a little touch-up on the bluing.

Boolit Master
    Here's the finished rifle,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stevens Resized 01.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	228090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stevens Resized 02.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	228091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stevens Resized 03.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	228092Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stevens Resized 04.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	228093

I used three coats of a dark Walnut stain after sanding the stock with 150 grit. The finish is a Krylon spray gloss and the nose piece is just repainted black. I was thinking about not painting the nose of the stock and keeping it wood but the original paint had soaked into the grain and I would of needed to take too much wood off before staining. Not bad for a quick refinish. Didn't take any before pictures. Kinda cute little bolt action, glad I picked it up. Sorry about the glare on the stock, had to use the flash.

Looks good! Great little rifles. Yours looks exactly like my brother's rifle. As shown in the photo I posted, mine never had the black fore end tip, and no butt plate, just curved wood. Since they didn't have serial numbers it's hard to say exactly how old it is, but it could date to about 1956. Anyway, congratulations on the new acquisition and a job well done.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Looks nice !! very well done .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter