RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Luger cast sucess?

Great advice guys, thank you. I don't like endless experimentation so I will heed your advice. I'll start by sorting brass and buying some bullets to see what it likes. And I'll check the rifling depth, Taz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Accurate 130gr rnfp with 4gr WST, 357 for all the XDs I've tried. PCd and HT WW. 60 rnds in 9 ring at 10 yd single handed from XDs. Fast follow shots.
    Last edited by popper; 09-28-2018 at 10:09 PM.
    Whatever!

Banned
    My biggest problem with cast bullets in 9mm is that my guns are all over the place. What works in one gun will not work in another.
    I can load for a particular pistol and get good results but I run into problems when I attempt to make a common cartridge for more than one gun.

True.
    I have some of that going on. The differences between my Beretta barrels and my Springfield barrels is rather dramatic. Some of the ammunition that runs flawlessly through the Beretta barrels will not chamber or feed in my Range Officer. I have to be careful what I bring to the range.
    I haven't had any leading problems from the smaller diameter ammunition yet but I don't shoot a lot of it in the Beretta barrels.
    I am finding that .357 seems to work in both barrel sizes. .358 works great in the Beretta barrels but will not work in the Springfields.

Boolit Master
    Been loading for 9mm for over forty years. Was the second caliber, I began reloading for. Never had any issues with cast. Currently, own five pistols from five different well respected manufactures plus a carbine. All of my reloaded ammo will feed and function interchangeably, in any of the six. Never had to have any barrels throated or replaced with aftermarkets.

I size my all bullets to .358 diameter and have gone as high as .359 diameter, but the cases tend to begin to bulge. Never used a case gauge for 9mm.............just do the simple plunk test. I set my seating dies to mimic factory COAL's for each cast bullet that is comparable to the factory profile. Then, I make dummy rounds and manually cycle them through the action, checking for changes in COAL. As long as the length doesn't change, they are good to go. To date, never slugged a barrel.......never found the need.

Don't own any Glocks. The closest thing, to a 1911 style pistol, is my Browning HP. All the others are DAO, polymer framed semi's.

All I use is air cooled WW alloy or close proximity, there of. Gas checks will solve a lot of leading issues, especially when pushing your alloy. I found this to be the case when I get some minimal leading in the carbine. Lab Rader is showing that my slowest load is running in the neighborhood of 1450 fps, when using standard (115-125 grain) weight bullets. Slower, when I move up to 147 grainers.

Winelover

all i know is that, the first boolit i designed for my glocks and cz's(146 grs) ,is very,very accurate; resized to .357 over 3.5 grs of VV320 at 1.070 coal ,it's definitely on par,or better than the commercial jacketed zeros i was using. but here's the thing; since the ogive-meplat is fatter than the J-bullets ,i must load to a shorter coal( 1.070) than what i expected (normally 1.130 coal)
    .doesn't matter,accuracy is what count. then i designed another ,but lighter one , a 130grainer. this one has a slimer profile, then i can load to my regular coal. accuracy is also very good. both boolits are groovless for hi tek,and i'm very pleased with the results i'm getting, no leading at all.

my molds are cut by tom at accurate molds. the 146 is 35-146M and the 130 grainer is 35-130M.i'm using 100% coww

Boolit Master

Out of all the stuff I have loaded over 30 years, I have found 9mm to the a huge PITA! I have the Lee 105 working well in a couple of guns, 147's just work across the board but I do not like to shoot 147's for random range plinking and practice. I have the Arsenal 124-TC and it is working well in everything except my 1911's. This past weekend I scrubbed the lead out of the 1911's again and have them ready for another test. The diameter is correct at .358, my crimp is just enough to make a solid round and my alloy is 93/3/3 with 2700+ lube. The leading comes from the 105 and the 124. The 124 has a beautiful bearing surface and I did not expect to have issues with it, the 105 on the other hand I expected problems. I have been trying to use BE and I think I am going to slow the powder down, not sure what yet. I may do some PC, but I do not want to make PC the answer as it takes longer for me than conventional sizing. A member here sent me some Lee 124-TC conventional lube groove bullets that were PC'ed, they did shoot very well in the 9mm 1911's.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used the old Lyman 356402 for years, and never had much luck with it. Currently I'm using the Saeco 383(PB & one groove), which is heavier and longer. Accurate 35-135Q would be a very close match(BB & two grooves). Sized .357 for 1911 9mms & 38 Supers, and .358 for the HP.
    Informal accuracy testing seems to have it doing better than the Lyman bullet. At this point I've been doing more function testing than accuracy testing, since it is a long bullet.

Has anyone tried the H&G 275 style bullet in their 9mms? That's basically the H&G 068 45 acp bullet shrunk down to 9mm size. NOE is having a sale on their 35 caliber molds, and their version of that one is on sale.
    Last edited by Sailormilan2; 09-26-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have the same Star BM, you have to mod the feed ramp for anything other than FMJ. Shoot cast in mine, the Lee 124gr, AFTER it was leemented to actually spit out .356 bullets. The lyman 147gr works well in everything. And I size down a 158gr NOE for 9mm.

One thing you need is proper expanders. I got garbage results at first, NOE expanders fixed them. Pistol dies are set up for jacketed. The case will swage them down seating, then they shoot like garbage. And no factory crimp dies.

Boolit Master

I expand with an M die then seat and finally crimp in a third step. This has served me well for years with 45acp, 40S&W, 10mm. I really do not like the little tapered 9mm round, I will figure out my issue but will not enjoy the process.

Ed shot,
    i am trying the 125g lee in a 6 cavity mold and they are dropping fat (.360 at base and .356 almost all the way up to the nose),i sized them to .355 before powder coating and them .357 after PC and i cant seat them deep enough to chamber in my glock 17 (with aftermarket barrel) due to the fat nose, i tried the 124g TL in some of my other 9s and they shot like ****, has anyone else had the same problem? im thinking of trying the 120 TC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacomdiver View Post
    Ed shot,
    i am trying the 125g lee in a 6 cavity mold and they are dropping fat (.360 at base and .356 almost all the way up to the nose),i sized them to .355 before powder coating and them .357 after PC and i cant seat them deep enough to chamber in my glock 17 (with aftermarket barrel) due to the fat nose, i tried the 124g TL in some of my other 9s and they shot like ****, has anyone else had the same problem? im thinking of trying the 120 TC
    When you say "can't load them deep enough", what is your load and what is your COAL with the 356-125-2R?

I have had the same issue with the 125 RF from Lee. It is just too fat at the nose to chamber easily in most guns. If I load it short, it won't feed properly.
    The 124 TL has a reputation for shooting poorly in 9mm for a lot of people. Not everyone but enough to make it a boolit I don't care to try.
    The 120 tc is nearly universally claimed as a great boolit by everyone. It works well for me in all my pistols. I prefer a different boolit though.
    My favorite is the NOE 358-135-FN. I shoot it as a plain base flat nose or as a 129 grain hollow point. It feeds in every 9mm pistol I own(9 currently), and gives great accuracy.
    This boolit works tumble lubed or sized in a lube-sizer equally well.
    It drops at .358 from my mold using range scrap. In some pistols(Beretta) I shoot it unsized. In others, I size to .357 and it feeds fine. The slightly undersized nose area helps with this. The nose will enter the throat even if it is tight. There is enough solid driving bands on the boolit to grip rifling well. I load it so the front driving band is slightly exposed(about a thick fingernail) and have no trouble with it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacomdiver View Post
    Ed shot,
    Just so we are on the same page.... which Lee 125 gr. boolit are we talking about here?

I've had good luck with a 6-cavity Lee 124gr RN-TL in S&W 5946, Beretta 92, numerous 9mm carbines. I use alox and dust them with mica with a starting load charge of unique. Most of the time I don't run them though the sizer.

If you pull a bullet out of a loaded round what does it measure v/s your bore measurement. Not all 9mm's are .355" which is another issue.

Moderator Emeritus

Dump the Lee TL molds, get a Lyman 356242 or 356402 and use a good conventional lube. Try for 1000 fps and go up from there until groups suffer. NOE 135 gr works too.
    If you really want accuracy from a 9, segregate brass by headstamp and weight, and trim to the same length. you would do it for a 45, why is a 9 worse?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Dump the Lee TL molds, get a Lyman 356242 or 356402 and use a good conventional lube. Try for 1000 fps and go up from there until groups suffer. NOE 135 gr works too.
    If you really want accuracy from a 9, segregate brass by headstamp and weight, and trim to the same length. you would do it for a 45, why is a 9 worse?
    +1.... all I use any more is the NOE 359242 (120 gr) his clone of Lyman's 356242. I segregate 9MM brass by headstamp but I gave up on trimming. I do measure every 9MM case and discard (maybe 30%) those .748" or shorter and .752" or longer. I do not know folks work with 9MM brass that varies form .756" to .740". in length. Among myself, brothers and sons-in-law I load for a CZ 75B, BHP, Sig P320, Ruger LC9s, 3 Glocks with LW 9MM barrels, a HP 995TS, and Blackhawk convertable and they all work perfectly with boolits sized .358" with COAL's spec'd in the Lyman 4th Ed. For me that means I seat a 120~125 gr 9MM boolit to a depth of .260"~.265" inside the case. I've found that if my CZ likes a load it works great in all others. Totally agree with working up from 1000 fps. I commonly find the sweet spot @ 1075 fps depending on the components.

Ed Shot,
    the 356-125-2R

Boolit Master
    9 mm can be very frustrating. Do not let that put you off. The solution is simple. There 10 easy steps to the 9mm.

Step 1: Try what you have and what you think might work. Take notes. You might get lucky.

Step 2: If step 1 did not work, tell us exactly what you did.

Step 3: Sort through the 50 suggestions, pick one.

Step 4: Try it and hope you get lucky.

Step 5: If it did not work, tell us exactly what you did and what happened.

Step 6: Sort through the 40 suggestions. Pick a new suggestion.

Step 7: Try it and hope you get lucky.

Step 8: If it did not work, go back to step 5.

Step 9: After you get something that works, assume you are an expert and provide suggestions when some else shares their problems.

Step 10: After a bunch of newbies ignore your suggestions, come to understand that the 9mm is too finicky to ever be simple and work the same way for anybody else.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the NOE 124gr. tcgchp for everything these days from all glock 9mm and carbines. Whrn seated over 4.7gr.CFE Pistol it is a screamer or 5.2gr.BA-7.5 for a plesent shooter. I love this mold because you get three different style boolits from one mold.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast