MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Light scope for a varmint yard gun

Boolit Master
    Got a Nikon prostaff 2x7 on my marlin 45-70 very clear ,parallax 75 yards .I'm very pleased with it.

Boolit Buddy
    Scope reticle is hard to see at night on dark colored animals. I went to a red dot, but a lighted reticle would work just as well. Question is do you need magnification?

Boolit Master
    I can't add anything to the scope comments but if you're looking for more power than standard 22LR, I bought a CZ 512 22 magnum last year and I love it. The receiver is dovetailed for scope mounts
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    pietro, sure, but if they're trying to kill your animals that changes things. I can go look if its changed since many moons ago when I lived in the sticks. Plan is to move to MT tho, which state's OK with Raccoons being trapped or shot, looks like. I'll check more.

I have thought of trying a Red Dot scope, might be a good answer for night, and cheaper than glass; might rig it to run off external power and charge it in the rack. Illuminated crosshairs would do too, but more light is good as you can dump a lot of rounds down range that do nothing, if you can't see the target!

Might think on 22 Mag, think I mentioned that and a 22 Hornet earlier? If it's just a Raccoon, a 22 Mini Mag will do the job; Thinking on it though as MT has the occasional Grizzly and I "might" want a bigger caliber if faced with one of those. Still figuring out what to do - I am good with electronics etc. and have considered CCTV style cameras so I could see what's out there before stepping outside, and pick a proper tool for the job. Efficiency is good :P
    Last edited by Mr_Sheesh; 09-26-2018 at 11:50 PM.

Don't need magnification as far as I know, BUT it'll depend on how the place I move to is set up; If it has a large flat area where I could take 100 yard shots 2x-4x might be nice - I'll know when I find a place. If it's all "doghair" i.e. vine maples or whatever, as thick as dog hair, magnification wouldn't help much, unless some critter runs down the driveway? So while I could guess now, I'll have to see. I know I won't need over 4x, a small varminting gun's not ideal for Coyotes or Griz LOL

(I wouldn't want to take a griz on with a .22 - Unless I was in an APC, Tank, or something like a heavy bunker, darn things are known for tearing their way into cabins in AK and I'd just as soon not seriously tick one off!)

Boolit Master
    Racoon paw traps are pretty much dog and cat proof.............especially, if you use mini marshmallows for the bait.

Winelover

Interesting, I had of course seen Conibear traps and snares, not those though. In past the problem wasn't the Raccoons coming by and attacking the food, it was just them trying to eat the barn cat, he'd get himself in his safe spot (he had a nice reverse slope defense figured out, smart cat!) and he'd scream defiance at them; I'd pad on outside quietly to convince them to go prey elsewhere. Not sure they'd have noticed that trap, they were so focused on the cat that they didn't see me till I was all the way outside usually, in range.

Banned
    Optics is one of those areas where you get what you pay for. There are ways to make good scopes and there are ways to make cheap scopes but there are NO ways to make good cheap scopes.
    The manufacturer just cannot drive the price point below a certain level without cutting corners somewhere.

A few basic truths about scopes and low light: Lower power = more light transmission. Lower power = larger field of view. A larger objective (front lens) will help in low light....to a point, there are diminishing returns as that glass gets bigger. Huge objective lenes have problems of their own that outweigh the small advantages gained. Fixed power scopes are simpler than variable power scopes. In low light and at short ranges, 4 power will likely be the most magnification you will need or could even utilize. Less than 4 power will be even better in terms of light transmission and field of view.
    In low light settings, fine reticles will be difficult to use. You may want a thicker style reticle. My personal favorite reticle for most shorter range hunting applications, including low light, is the German post reticle.

When it comes to optics, there's no free lunch. You don't have to buy a $2000 scope to get one that is "good enough" but you'll never find a $19.95 scope that is "good enough". I am firmly of the opinion that when it comes to optics you need to cry once and get it over.

There are a lot of good rifles and scopes on the market. Even without a suppressor, a subsonic bullet is fairly quiet. A flat tipped bullet is far more effective in a .22 than any round nose design.

Good Luck !
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 09-27-2018 at 07:16 AM.

Boolit Master
    They may still be classified as game animals, but because very few of the coon hunters shoot them anymore, very few folks eat them nowadays, and the pelts aren't worth the price to skin one, they have just become nothing more than varmints, tearing up turkey and quail nest in the wild, and any thing they can get into around the house and farm! We treat them just like skunks, possums, feral cats, and coyotes around here. We shoot them and leave them where they fall!

Those dog proof traps are fantastic for helping control the raccoon population. I'll second the mini marshmallow bait, I use them myself. I don't think a cat would even stop to sniff one, and a dog can't get a foot in the trap.

Boolit Master

I was told once by a DNR officer to kill raccoons any way I could. They are considered a nusiance in farm areas. I didn't get it in writing though.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    I was told once by a DNR officer to kill raccoons any way I could. They are considered a nusiance in farm areas. I didn't get it in writing though.
    They're certainly not endangered, that's for sure. More than once I counted six on my deck. I was happy to shoot them but the neighbors weren't. Rat poison didn't make any noise at all.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

aim point...

Poison does have the down side that it kills the raccoon that eats it, but then can kill anything that then eats that dead raccoon; Could be a pet dog that's been dumped and is starving. I just want to affect the raccoon that's pestering the barn cat. If it wasn't pestering me it'd be fine.

Boolit Master
    For my opinion, it's foolish to spend much money for a .22 scope. You don't need variable or more than 4x. A one inch tube el cheapo, with duplex cross hairs will do about as much as a scope that costs more than the rifle. The original K4 had fine cross hairs and hard to see in low light. You can find a used 1 inch tube scope for 25 dollars that would do what you want.

Boolit Master
    With optics, you get what you pay for. I like variables, high magnification for tight little groups. Option for low magnification for close range or low light shooting. I have since replaced the 4X Simmons 44 Mag. on my 10-22 with a Weaver rimfire variable. My Winchester 9422 has a Leupold rimfire variable. Neither are cheap but not really expensive, like those on my hunting rifles.

Winelover

I could put a VX3 on there, it's just that for a "yard gun" where I'm imagining a 100 yard shot will be rare, and low light shots will be more or less normal, I imagine that 4x is plenty of magnification. A reflex sight might do it (red dot or the like) tho when they first came out they had so much parallax that I decided I would pass, I imagine they're better by far now! I've even considered a laser for it, that'd do the job and be FAST, another consideration on pests. Good thoughts from folks here, main thing is I'm still mulling it all over but something good'll work out Thanks all!

Boolit Master
    "Rat poison didn't make any noise at all."

That's funny! My Dad and Uncle farm and have rat and mice poison in their tractor sheds, combines, and other places to control the mice and rats that also like to chew on wires and equipment. They constantly gripe about how much rat poison the raccoons eat and they never find a sick or dead raccoon around the farm, and they just keep coming back for more! They even bait raccoon traps with rat poison because that's what they come looking for!

Boolit Master
    Old k4 was good when I was younger and could shoot up to nearly needing a torch to see where you were going.
    4x40 was the std back then.
    But a good 1-4x 20mm wound done to low is awesome to use and clarifies things real late with old eyes.

Boolit Master
    my wife has a 3x9x40 truglo scope on her 10/22 red and green lighted reticle and its pretty decent,plus she has a green light if need for distance

Banned

for in your yard a good red dot will probably be your best bet. If your talking small game over 50 yards they just aren't precise enough. For that id go do a good mid priced 2x7 or 3x9 scope. Something like a vx1 or vx2 leupold, Nikon prostaff or monarch or bushmaster elite. all of those have good glass that works well in low light. Unless your shooting the eye ball out of a squirrel I wouldn't worry to much about parallax adjusted specific 22 scopes. Ill put it like this. Back 5 years ago you couldn't get me to trade you one of my vx1 leupolds for two prostaffs. Today if asked my opinion id say the prostaffs fall right in between the vx1 and vx2 in quality and optics and that's darned good.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 10-09-2018 at 07:02 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast