Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Looking for .54 caliber boolit mold. . .advice please.

Boolit Buddy

Looking for .54 caliber boolit mold. . .advice please.

I have recently began casting my own boolits for a few revolvers I have and got to looking at my O'le T/C Renegade .54 Cal sitting in the corner of the safe. I've had this rifle forever it seems and have had a truck load or two of critters slain by it. I haven't shot it in quite sometime (years actually, sad) due to acquiring my T/C Encore. This rifle shot great with the T/C Maxi-Hunter slugs and I've come to learn they are no longer in production. . .very disappointing. This has led me to want to start pouring my own boolits for this rifle. What boolit style/mold are there for the .54 caliber that you all have had the best accuracy with in your rifles similar to the T/C Renegade and what lube seems to work best? I know this is going to vary from rifle/person to rifle/person, but a consensus would point me in the general area. I recently saw a Lee REAL mold and wondered if you guys had experience with this mold. I'm not interested in shooting patch & ball or paper patched type bullets either. Thanks for any input.

A person doesn't need to limit himself to only .54 caliber molds.
    MMP makes .54 sabots that will fit .44, .45 and .50 caliber bullets.
    Some 1 in 48" inch twists will shoot sabots really good with the right bullet, one that's not too long and heavy.
    Shooting with sabots does require swabbing the bore more often, but they do allow for more bullet options whether casting or buying bullets in bulk.
    If you cast large caliber pistol bullets, then they can be tried out in in your .54 using sabots.--->>> https://www.mmpsabots.com/store/mmp-standard-sabots/

You might be able to shoot the .50 caliber TC bullets with sabots.

Also contact Buffalo Bullets to see if they have begun producing any of their .54 Buffalo Bullets yet since they moved from CA to NV:--->>> https://buffalobulletindustries.com
    Last edited by arcticap; 09-22-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Super Moderator

I have been using this one in my Lyman 54Cal Deerstalker. It is a real game getter. Sorry, no experience with Lee reals. Hornady make a 54 caliber "Great Plains" 425 grain conical, and these performed so well in my 54 that it inspired me to get my own similar mold. You could try that one first before buying the mold. It's got plenty of Wallop with 90 grains of Goex 2F!

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=55-430M-D.png

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...oint-box-of-20

Midway's out of the 54 great plains at the moment, but you could probably find them elsewhere.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    A person doesn't need to limit himself to only .54 caliber molds.
    MMP makes .54 sabots that will fit .44, .45 and .50 caliber bullets.
    Some 1 in 48" inch twists will shoot sabots really good with the right bullet, one that's not too long and heavy.
    Shooting with sabots does require swabbing the bore more often, but they do allow for more bullet options whether casting or buying bullets in bulk.
    If you cast large caliber pistol bullets, then they can be tried out in in your .54 using sabots.--->>> https://www.mmpsabots.com/store/mmp-standard-sabots/

You might be able to shoot the .50 caliber TC bullets with sabots.

Also contact Buffalo Bullets to see if they have begun producing any of their .54 Buffalo Bullets yet since they moved from CA to NV:--->>> https://buffalobulletindustries.com
    Thank you for your information, but I'm wanting to shoot only conical bullets out of this muzzleloader and I'm wanting to buy a mold and cast my own. My Encore I do shoot the green Crush Rib sabot with a 300 grain slug. It is a fine 200 yard rifle!

Vendor Sponsor

I have the LEE, The Lyman HB bullet and the T/C Maxi-ball.
    Molds for these are available.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resizedMLbulletsDSCF3798.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	227581
    I have taken game with both the Lyman and T/C Maxi and both have shot well to 100yds and more. I tend to shoot lighter loads like 75, 80, 85grains of real BP and these bullets will make an exit on even elk.

The LEE mold I am getting rid of as it is slightly too large to start in my rifles and needs to be sized down to work. It does not do anything the other two won't do so it is going.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I have been using this one in my Lyman 54Cal Deerstalker. It is a real game getter. Sorry, no experience with Lee reals. Hornady make a 54 caliber "Great Plains" 425 grain conical, and these performed so well in my 54 that it inspired me to get my own similar mold. You could try that one first before buying the mold. It's got plenty of Wallop with 90 grains of Goex 2F!

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=55-430M-D.png

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...oint-box-of-20

Midway's out of the 54 great plains at the moment, but you could probably find them elsewhere.
    That Accurate mold number you posted looks a lot like the Lyman Mold #548657 Plains Bullet. I was looking at ordering this slug as well. I have read good things about both the Lyman and the Lee bullet, just not sure which to get.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I have the LEE, The Lyman HB bullet and the T/C Maxi-ball.
    Molds for these are available.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resizedMLbulletsDSCF3798.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	227581
    I have taken game with both the Lyman and T/C Maxi and both have shot well to 100yds and more. I tend to shoot lighter loads like 75, 80, 85grains of real BP and these bullets will make an exit on even elk.

The LEE mold I am getting rid of as it is slightly too large to start in my rifles and needs to be sized down to work. It does not do anything the other two won't do so it is going.
    I like that Lyman bullet. How are you guys lubing the conical boolits? I'm hoping not to pan or finger lube!

Boolit Grand Master
    lee r.e.a.l. and or maxi-ball. I much prefer the maxi-ball for accuracy an hunting efficiency. it's a monster on game.

Boolit Master
    Which mold manufacture?
    I like iron molds better than aluminum. Iron once warmed. I can cast at the speed I prefer. Aluminum? Once heated. There user best cast like a mad man. Their slightest cooling {I've witnessed} will garner wrinkled or defects.

RCBS or Ohaus I have many of. Lyman a few of which many are Ideal labeled. Those aluminum molds I have? were T/c made.

If I were entertaining the idea of shooting a Maxi {these days} with a stock barrel. Lee's R.E.A.L would be on the top of my list. One reason only. They engrave themselves upon their rodding. No others do that. That I'm aware of.

I have a T/c Renegade 54-cal that's used very seldom. It's my dedicated Maxi shooter. It's preferred mold? _is a> T/c.

BTW shooting a Maxi other than in a 32 cal. Especially 54 cal.
    Yup! Best be used on Elk or Grizzly. Terminal performance on game small in stature. Maxi's will undoubtedly cancel the fun of tracking.

Boolit Grand Master

For deer elk bear and bison I prefer a round ball. Has never failed to work and less kick too.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE View Post
    I like that Lyman bullet. How are you guys lubing the conical boolits? I'm hoping not to pan or finger lube!
    Pan lube is one of the most miss-understood lube methods.
    It is 10 - X easier than people make it. Zero mess and fast. NO cake cutter needed. Just push them out.
    Unless or should I say, if you need to size down a lube sizer is the other choice. I made 54cal lube and size die for the 54 cal LEE bullet pictured because it cast too large to enter either of the Lyman Great plains or TC rifles I have.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize and cropDSCN1770.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	227786 I doubt I will ever use it again. Pan lube is the way to go if not needing to size down.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 09-25-2018 at 03:55 PM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE View Post
    Pat Marlin, a vendor on this site, has some lubing devices.

Banned

I just recently cast a bunch of the Lee 380 grain REALs and they shot pretty well in a cheap CVA using 60 grains of Pyrodex RS. I can't imagine a deer standing up for long after one of those at the ranges I normally hunt with. Hopefully, I'll get a deer to cooperate this weekend.

I shot a small buck many years ago with a TC Maxi Hunter I cast. Great terminal performance. If that shot well in your rifle, I can't imagine doing any better.

I've used the Lyman Plains bullet extensively in .50 and killed a lot of deer with it. I have the same mold in .54, but have yet to cast with it. The front band of these engraves like the REAL and in my .50 is accurate and hard hitting.

Boolit Master

Very good experience with TC maxie it will hit where you point it. I have both the iron and alu. moulds both work well. just a tip a thin wad under the bullet will give slight improvment in shooting. I generaly pan lube with bees wax and olive oil mixture. I cast for kids and grandkids, I found I can get the job done just as well with a round ball and use less powder and much less recoil. The young ones can handle the kick much better than an old man.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    The Lyman Plains bullet in .50 and .54 will outshoot most any other bullet, I've used them both and they are deadnuts accurate even in the .50 Lyman with 1-66" twist. They tested much more accurate then the REAL bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Pan lube is one of the most miss-understood lube methods.
    It is 10 - X easier than people make it. Zero mess and fast. NO cake cutter needed. Just push them out.
    Unless or should I say, if you need to size down a lube sizer is the other choice. I made 54cal lube and size die for the 54 cal LEE bullet pictured because it cast too large to enter either of the Lyman Great plains or TC rifles I have.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize and cropDSCN1770.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	227786 I doubt I will ever use it again. Pan lube is the way to go if not needing to size down.
    Please tell me what I did wrong
    (to clarify I am quite happy with my system its quick and easy and it works good)
    BUT - you said NO cake cutter needed - this has come up before and I thought it was a joke - I saw Larry Potterfield in a video pullin em outta the lube cake with a pair of pliers tother night ??????? - more n one otherwise sensible bloke doing this so, it must work, .........dont work for me!!!!!

so ..... Beeswax and oil lube (neatsfoot at the moment) boolits with good deep lube grooves ....if I was to push em put of the cake I reckon the failure rate would be 100% or close - I will not load a boolit unless the grooves are packed full everywhere - no bits missin allowed here

So whats it that makes the difference ??????? --- gotta be somethin basic !! - and I hate makin basic mistakes ....help!!!!!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Please tell me what I did wrong
    (to clarify I am quite happy with my system its quick and easy and it works good)
    BUT - you said NO cake cutter needed - !
    Check your PM.
    I'm not sure you did anything wrong. Just need the right stuff and the how to.
    I will be at the National match and Hunting - I will have more time after the second week in October.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I have taken 47deer here in KY an Tenn., with a .54 Hawken barrel on a Renegade stock. I used a Hornady GP 425 gr HP to take 2/3ds of them, the rest with a 450 grain Lyman plains bullet, it is basically the Hornady without the hollow tip, or hollow base. It shoots the same for me, and I have taken deer out to 175 yds with this slug and 100 grains of 2ffg black powder. I do recommend putting a veg wad underneath it, and lubed with Ox yoke 1000 wonder lube. Pm me with your address, if you want to try some of these slugs, with veg. wads, I will send you some, made from soft lead!

Boolit Master
    The Maxi Ball has been the most accurate for me, but I normally use the Plains boolit as it is nearly as accurate and I like the wider Meplat, like it really matters with a 54 caliber.. I noticed an improvement in accuracy when using an Ox Yoke wad under the boolit.