PBcastcoRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Hakim in the rifle rack, for sale!!!

Super Moderator

A Hakim in the rifle rack, for sale!!!

..............I was in Turners in San Bernardino picking up my new Savage today, and danged if they didn't have a Hakim up there in the rack. Looked to be in nice shape for $299. I didn't ask to handle it as the very uniqueness of even SEEING one made me want to buy it. Had I looked down the barrel and if it had been in good shape I'm afraid I may have had a fit of immaturity and bought it

I already have a nice Hakim (and a Ljungman AG42b) that I haven't shot in must be 5-6 years now. So why would anyone with a half a brain buy another? I haven't seen what they're going for these days but I'm pretty sure it's over $300!

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Yep, $400-500 seems about average. I want one bad....
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Buddy
    A friend of mine has one, I don't care for it much.

I'll stick with my Garands.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm certainly a very long way from being knowledgeable about a Hakim, but I once read that many ranked it " dead last " in the military semi-auto category.

Ben

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I had one, and traded it to Kywoodworker. I liked it, but semi autos are not really my cup o' tea. I will say, they do tend to ruin brass fairly quick, throw brass very far, although my HK G3 still has the winning hand on that one. They are EXTREMELY loud, with one of the most effective muzzle break I have ever fired. However, mine was accurate out to at least 375 yards, as far as I was able to try it out.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I had one, and traded it to Kywoodworker. I liked it, but semi autos are not really my cup o' tea. I will say, they do tend to ruin brass fairly quick, throw brass very far, although my HK G3 still has the winning hand on that one. They are EXTREMELY loud, with one of the most effective muzzle break I have ever fired. However, mine was accurate out to at least 375 yards, as far as I was able to try it out.
    A big +1 They have to be the loudest combat rifle short of the 50 cal ever fielded,But that brake worked ,made shooting that big 196 gr bullet like an afternoon with a heavy barrelled 243.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

I have one that I have owned for over 10 years

and have never fired.

It has the best fit and finish of any military rifle I have ever handled.

Action is adjustable so brass issues, at least the dispersion could be reduced.

I was told that if I wanted undamaged brass to put a small piece of rubber hose on the brass deflector.

Come to think about it I have a VZ-52 I bought at the same time that I have never fired either.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Super Moderator

...............I was just amazed that in this later day of the 1986 import relaxation, that such a rifle would show up in a retailer's rack. The Hakim started out as the Swedish AG42b. A direct impingment gas operated rifle with a 10 round box magazine. It is a robust and clean looking design (with a rather long reciever) and it's rather slim, but longish overall. When I bought it (I had an 01 FFL) from Century Arms they were $169 and that included a sling and tool roll.

If you bought one, Century would let you buy some CBC (Mag-Tech) 6.5x55 ammo with it. Other then Norma it was the ONLY 6.5 Swede ammo around. I won't get into how the action works, but it's different. On my first outting with it I was amazed and dismayed on it's treatment of ejected (and hard to come by) brass. It flung the brass half way across the range. It had the rubber bumper on the brass deflector but it would still dent them, thatis, IF you could FIND them!

Besides that, the rifle has a very narrow ejector blade and this would dent the rim into the extractor groove so bad that some cases would not fit into a shellholder without orienting the ding just so. It also had a muzzle brake but it wasn't unduly bothersome noisewise. Muffs handled that well.

Sometime later I decided I needed a Hakim. I didn't begin a diligent search. I just figured if I found one at a decent price I'd get it. This was back in '98 or '99 and you could buy Turkish surplus 8mm for like $60/700 rounds. A great desert blasting gun. I found one and bought it. I think I paid $175 for it and it has a shiney barrel and was in overall VG condition. It was a freaking CLUB.

It was fatter then it's Swedish father and had that swelled up muzzle brake out there on the end of the barrel. I could just envision some little 5'4" Egyptian trooper humping this great big long rifle out through the sand dunes. As mentioned, the muzzle brake is very effective in both reducing recoil and also directing and (apparently) magnifying the muzzle blast to the rear. You could feel the pressure wave in your sinus passages.

My dad was sitting at a picnic table about 20' behind us one time when we were shooting the thing. He remarked later that each time we fired he could feel the puff of pressure against his pants leg!

Back when Century was importing these things you could buy 'Cracked Stock' specials for $69 all day long. I have a military type manual printed up on the care and feeding of the Hakim. It also had a list of people carrying parts for them and there were quite a few. The other half of the book was given over to modifying the Hakim into a handier parcel. SInce there wasn't much you could do about it's one foot long action, or buttstock mods, you cut off the muzzle brake and shortened the barrel 4".

Of course you modified the forend for this. Then you drilled out the rear of the muzzle brake with a (I forget) drill bit, and had it TiG welded back on the shortened barrel. Also included was instructons for modifying the rear sight base to accept a Weaver mount intended for other flat topped applications, like Marlin leverguns I suppose. After the mods, and adding a scope the author said it made the finest 300 meter moving target rifle he'd ever shot .

He neglected to mention what those other 300 meter moving target rifles might have been. I doubt ANY of them held a candle to the damage one could do with a thusly modified Hakim to anyone or anything unlucky enough to be behind the shooter. It was bad enough before and now it was probably deadly.

Anyway, seeing it in the rack kind of made me smile and remember when you could buy a M96 Swede at retail for $98 or $59 from Century with an FFL.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Way back a buddy of mine picked up a Hakim and wanted to shoot it at more than 100 yards. He brought it out to the farm to the "Range" ,which was tractor path to the woods behind the house about 200 yards long before the turn and the "firing line "started under the limbs of a huge old elm tree. Shooting under the low hanging limbs was nice in the summer as it provded shade. Well turns out he brought the Hakim out in the fall. After the first round through the Hakim ALL the leaves were gone from the limb![/SIZE]
    Never found any of the brass either.
    Wonder what they would be like W/O the muzzle brake?
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Even on the lowest gas setting it hurls brass a good 10 feet.

One of these days I'm going to open the gas valve all the way and try some cast loads with 4759.

Boolit Master
    I have a Hakim and although the bore's a mite dark it's a very accurate shooter. Yes - it's LOUD - but it's a surprisingly mild kicker. Yes it's hard on brass and yes it throws cases a long ways even with the gas valve in the lowest setting but the weirdest thing is that puff of operating gas that hits me in the forehead with every shot. It doesn't hurt - but I can feel it and it's a bit disconcerting. Kinda like piercing a primer with every shot. <GRIN> I wouldn't shoot it without good glasses.
    Despite all that I love it just for the weirdness factor. Mine was butt ugly - beat up considerable - dented, glued, gouged and scratched. It hurt my eyes to look at it <GRIN> so I sanded, steamed, patched, filled and PAINTED the stock in desert camo. Now it's reliable, accurate, and one-of-a-kind. I show up at our club's "classic battle rifles" matches and most of the other shooters don't know what it is. <GRIN!> What's not to like?

Uncle R.

Boolit Buddy

Great find Buckshot! I absolutely love my Hakim. Yes, its heavy. Yes, Its loud. Yes, its ungainly lookin, but I shot next to a buddy of mine & his M1, & the Hakim shot just as good as the ol Garand! Of course, he never again sat next to me when I brought out the Hakim!

I have the gas system set to drop the cases about 10 feet away @ the 2 o'clock position. I use mil surp Yugo ammo from the 50's. I've heard people complain that the brass goes flying 20 feet, here's a tip, adjust your gas system! That's what it's there for. Hell, I have a Mini-14 that sends brass into the next time zone!

Hope you get to put some lead through her. I'd love to hear what loads you come up with & how they performed in this Hoss of a rifle!
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

"Moderator Emeritus"

I know this about them, Hakim thumb makes M-1 thumb feel like a love tap !!!!!!!!!!!
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Boolit Bub
    I about took my thumb off a couple of times with my Hakim as well. Got it for $69.00 at a farm auction in 1989. It was in "just dropped once condition". I believe it was an Israeli Army captured weapon. We used to set up a B27 target at a measured 800 meters. After getting the range, the dang rifle was suprisingly accurate. Certainly wouldn't want to be downrange of it.

I ended up trading it off in the mid '90s for something. Really don't miss it. The M-1 is my preferred semiauto rifle.

Boolit Master

I sold a lot of firearms when I got divorced, but few other than that. One of the few I ever sold because of profound dislike was a Hakim. It came to me new, with a beautiful bore. The direct gas impingement operating system made it loud, the air full of small bits of unburned powder dirt, and pressures ran really high with the German surplus I had a lot of.

Give me an M1/M1A/FAL any day.

CDD

Sure is Funny

Everybody that says they want one, but........

I put one up on the board, here, last spring for $350 and not 1 taker.

The mag alone cost me $75.

And it was a gun I could do without, so it went.

Sold it to a dealer at a gun show in Cobb County Ga for $335.

Do I miss it.............Hummmmmmmmm............ N O!!!!
    TwoTrees

"Hold my beer and watch this!!"

I bought one for less than $100.00 about 20 years ago. My son and I both love to shoot the thing. It's so heavy that it has little recoil, so if you can hold it up, you can shoot it all day. It does crush and throw brass every where, so it's an expensive shoot, but still fun. You might get to reload one out of ten casings if you can find them. And it's true, it will get you attention thanks to all the noise, and I agree... M1 thumb has got nothing on this baby!

Boolit Master

Saw a VZ52 local to me for 100 bucks the other week. The ammo is a bit hard to acquire though. Similar rifle right?.......
    Last edited by EMC45; 02-11-2011 at 10:59 AM.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    I got a beautiful Marlin lever Guide gun I would trade for a nice Hakim.It is chambered in 450 Marlin.Mike
    If I tell you a Rooster can pull a plow You better hook him up

Boolit Master

I've seen a Hakim self-destruct due to the wrong ammo used coupled with the wrong gas port adjustment. It blew the magazine to pieces and destroyed the stock. I was standing behind and to the right of the shooter and got hit with debris 10 feet away. Magazine pieces most likely.

The Ljungman and Hakim have some weaknesses. The Ljungman moreso because it's entirely dependent on the correct ammo being used. Even the Swedish sniper m/41 ammo was slightly too slow a powder so the soldiers were instructed to oil the cartridges prior to loading to facilitate extraction.

What happens has erroneously been described as firing out of battery but the fact of the matter is the extraction is too violent and rips the case rim open dumping a gross amount of high pressure gas into the magazine well. It's caused from slow powder and the pressure curve being way too high by the time the bullet passes the gas port. At least with the Hakim the gas port is adjustable but seems there's a learning curve to getting it adjusted correctly and it takes only one round to ruin your day and your rifle.

One of the design failures of the Ljungman and Hakim is the middle triggerguard screw. It's not the screw but the design of the stock where it all comes together. There's just way too little stock support at the middle guardscrew and the stock can break rather easily at that particular location. Have fun finding a replacement Hakim stock.

The Ljungman was designed for easy regimental level maintenance. It requires a lower level of training to rebuild when compared to the m/1896 Mauser. Barrels are easy to change out, headspace adjustment is a matter of swapping little blocks where the back end of the bolt drops down and locks the action. There's a screw and a tapered pin to hold these headspace blocks in place. There's just nothing difficult about tearing a Ljungman down to barreled receiver.

There have been more than a few Hakim and Ljungman failures (destroyed rifles). It is also true that the Ljungman and Hakim make Garand thumb look like a saturday picnic. Trust me, when that bolt drops it's like a guillotine. Your poor thumb won't have a chance to escape it's sure fate and it's going to hurt almost as much as it'll scare the cr*p out of you. Been there, got the flinch!

Dutch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast