PBcastcoRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: 8x57 AI?

8x57 AI?

Howdy,

I've got a Mauser 98 action I'd like to do something with. What I wish is that Midway would make an 8x57 direct replacement sporter barrel, but since they don't, I've been kicking around these calibers:

8x57AI
    8mm-06
    9.3x57
    .358x57 (made this one up myself, but I bet it's been done)

With the 8x57AI being my favorite, but I've never found any information on one. I feel like RCBS cataloged this as a semi-custom die set 10 years ago or so, but I called them today and they had no clue. I've seen a reference to two on the internet, but I have not been able to find any specifics. Has anyone ever seen any sort of drawing for this beast?

Thanks,
    Tad

Boolit Master

Welcome to the CastBoolits Tad.
    Personally, I do not feel that you will gain very much at all in rechambering to the 8mm AI.
    The standard 8mm is quite a cartridge when loaded to its full potential.
    I did have one of the Egyptian Mausers, "BO" sporterized, and rechambered to the
    8mm-06 AI a few years back. It is one of my most favorite rifles.
    I believe that if a person is going to rechamber an 8mm Mauser, why not go all the way.
    This rifle will shoot a 200 grain slug at 2800 plus fps.
    Jack

Well, heck, how about 8mm-06AI? I've got several 8x57s, I'm just looking for something a bit different.

How do 98’s run with 7x57mm ? Would kick less.
    Since you say you’ve already got plenty of 8x57’s you have that caliber covered. If you want big you have all sorts of fat caliber choices. 9x57mm is a good one to raise an eyebrow or two. They made lots of them in Europe by reboring worn out 8x57mm barrels whitch were in abundance.

Since you already have lots of 8x57mm you should have plenty of brass to form a round based on that case. Just seams more right to keep a Mauser on a Mauser case.

ER Shaw will make an 7x57mm or the AI version for a pittance of money.
    If you would enjoy a rifle that doesn’t kick back much at all there are some 6.5mm chambers to look at. There is nothing in Texas a 6.5 won’t kill. I don't own any 6.5mm so naturally I’ve got a yearn for one.

Boolit Master
    6.5 or even the mighty 257 roberts. My wife shoots one. Quiet, accurate, easy on the shoulder. A wonderful choice.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

9x57 is one I've kicked around a bit. Really a .358x57 as I don't want to fool with .356 bullets. I see there are a few threads around here on the 9x57. I should read up.

Banned

35 whelen is an option, but personally I'd stay with a good 8x57 brl.

Quote Originally Posted by TXTad View Post
    9x57 is one I've kicked around a bit. Really a .358x57 as I don't want to fool with .356 bullets. I see there are a few threads around here on the 9x57. I should read up.
    Of course my mind was on big cast boolits. Just use the 35 boolits sized to .358” or .357” should fit a .355” bore just fine. McGowen has 9mm rifle barrels with .355 grove and .347” bore with 1-14“ twist rate. Some 35 bullets may be a little tight on the bore ride if they are a full .350”.

Boolit Master
    Would rechambering a well used 7.92X57 barrel to 8mm-06 serve to clean up the eroded throat area and reduce freebore, plus allow one to obtain minimum headspace if done carefully?

Usually a military bore will show wear or erosion at the throat while the rifling itself is still in fine shape.
    The 06 case being 5mm longer would mean much of the throat would be recut during the chambering operation.

Also theres a metric 8mm long case cartridge once used for a special long range version of the Browning M1917. Mauser rifles in this chambering were custom ordered for issue to MG crews, with built in muzzle break.
    That cartridge had a slightly broader base, but was otherwise nearly identical to the 8mm-06.
    If cases were available that sort of chamber would also clear away corroded chamber wall metal at the same time as it cleaned up the throat and shoulder.

Theres another long case 8mm sporter cartridge, used for some German sporting rifles. fairly rare but possibly still available. It was also near identical to the 8mm-06.

Theres the 8mm Remington Magnum. Haven't heard much about these, don't know how well they'd work through an unaltered K98 type receiver.
    Last edited by Multigunner; 02-10-2011 at 03:30 PM.

the 06 reamer will cut a new chamber starting with slight removal just ahead of the base. the 30-06 has less taper and is wider at the shoulder than an 8x57mm and of course you are setting the taper forward. If the throat is bad or the rifling worn much I’d not want to spend the time and money re chambering it. You would need to set the barrel back enough to cut a new throat. Then the barrel wont fit in the original stock.

When they first invented the 8mm-06 it was because war trophy rifles came back but no ammo was cheaply available. They just used a 30-06 reamer with a bushing on the pilot then lathe bored the neck and throat sections. Then they could use GI salvage brass.

I have done a few Mausers to a 'new' caliber. Rebarreled to 7X57, excellent cartridge. Rechambered to 8X57AI, not a substantial improvement over the 8X57. Rechambered to 8-06, noticeable difference. 8-06AI, substantial difference in velocity, can be more hassle than it's worth. IMHO.... personally, 7X57 or 8X57.
    If it doesn't fit, DON'T force it! Get a bigger HAMMER.

Boolit Master

After anealing 100 pieces of 30-06 brass, I went out to the range a couple of days ago and fire-formed 40 pieces in my 8mm-06 AI.
    I received the Hornaday 195 grain sp bullets and loaded up 20 rounds yesterday to fire for effect today. What a pleasant surprise, Again. This rifle really likes the heavy bullets. My first load of 54 grains of IMR 4064 put five shots in 1" at 100 yards. This rifle, is what I consider my "magnum". The rifle is light recoiling, compared to the "belted magnum" cartridges, and will stop animals just as well with less abuse to the shooter, and with a lot less powder used. Granted, it will not shoot as flat. But, if I hold 9" at 300 yards, it will hit just as well as the belted magnums do holding 6". Whats not to like?
    Sledgehammer, what is the hassle you speak of?
    Jack