Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply PBcastco

Thread: Madsen Colombian

In Remembrance

Madsen Colombian

I have a chance to buy one of these.
    It is stone new. When looking at it I was not impressed with the locking lug configuration. Are these good safe shooters in 30 06?
    Also, are these hard to find? Somewhat less than $400.00? Do I need another 30 06?

Life is good

You're getting a steal. Well made, accurate, and reliable was the NRA's opinion. I had some stringing issues with mine until I relieved a little pressure between wood and metal under the front band. I've beaten people who were using Garands and M1As using the Madsen. The circle within a circle sight picture works well, but the adjustment of the rear sight is fairly coarse. One could file more notches under the windage knob, as I've done. Get a pic up if you can, some I think were made of parts, and I've seen homemade handguards on quite a few. There is a bit of flex in the receiver with that rear locking bolt, but that just lets you quickly know when you're approaching max loads, cause you'll have a hard time opening the bolt. The stock isn't just wood, it's epoxy impregnated and quite hard, no need for anything synthetic with it. Of course nobody makes one anyway, just saying. It's a very smooth working action, a rival to the Krag if you ask me, the sound of the bolt being worked should be enough to make any night intruder pack up and run, music. When they were first imported, they were advertised as Danish Paratroop Carbines.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Like Madsenshooter said, it's a steal. When I bought mine it was missing the upper handguard & I sighted it in that way & shot in several matches with it. It beat my own Springfields, Enfields & Swedes with cast boolits. Haven't fired it with FMJs so can't say in that respect. The "double circle" sighting arrangement is a blessing for old eyes. That might be the reason it shoots more accurately than the others for me.
    Even if it is a "build up" rifle I would consider the purchase.

In Remembrance

You guys are nothin

but a bunch of enablers. The boss says to save money for the vacation.
    I guess you can't have em all.

Life is good

Boolit Master
    You can't...?

Generous Donator

Medallion or no Medallion. Mine was complete when I bought it. Nice shooting but the muzzle break does get streaks of gray from cast bullets. I paid $250 for mine about 6 years ago. They are a lot more now. Last one I saw at a gun show was over $500.

In Remembrance

Thanks gents.

I sold my Browning 92 .44magnum to finance the Madsen. I just can't pass up a new to me rifle and I need the experience of Madsen. This is the first one of these I have ever seen and I have owned a few hundred guns.
    I will try to get pictures up later in the week. The FBI makes me wait for three days to bring a gun home. If I buy it Monday I can have it Friday. I am curious about the comments about made up guns. This one seems to be as issued and original.

Medallion??????

Life is good

Do a google image search for madsen model 47 to see the medallion. Some had the medallions, some didn't. There's a guy keeping track of serial #s to try to see just how many were made, now if I can remember the site....will get back on that.

Some have parkerized parts, like the bolt, on others the bolts are in the white, as mine is. I don't think the lack of a medallion indicates a rifle made from parts. More likely that those with the parkerized bolts were, probably parked by the importer. Could be those with the medallion were intended for HQ guards, something like that. I think they were primarily purchased with the thought of using up some 30-06 we gave them, but few, if any, saw use. I think you'll enjoy your Danish Paratroop Carbine. You will for sure want ear plugs, especially when using slow burning powders! The guys at my local range let me use it, but they didn't like shooting on either side of me, so they'd put me on the end target.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/madsen/index.asp
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Dadburn Wives..........

Mike
    " The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him neither harm nor favor"

Generous Donator

IIRC the medallion ones were made for the Navy. I haven't seen any made from spare parts ones. Of course I have only seen 3 of them. Yes they are noisy. There wasn't a lot of them made. I think it was less than 20K.

Generous Donator

Caliber: .30-06 (7.62x63 mm), but also advertised in any contemporary rifle caliber between 6.5 and 8mm
    Action: manually operated, rotary bolt action
    Overall length: 1080 mm
    Barrel length: 595 mm
    Weight: 3.65 kg empty
    Magazine capacity: 5 rounds

As found on the web......

Madsen model 1947 rifle, also know as "the MADSEN Lightweight Military Rifle" (listed as such in Madsen catalogs) or "Colombian Navy M1958 rifle", was designed and manufactured by Dansk Industrie Sindikat "Madsen" A.S., mostly to be offered for 3rd world countries, whose armies had not enough funds to buy and maintain semi- or full-automatic infantry rifles. It was also advertised in Madsen catalogs as 'suitable for soldiers of comparatively small stature'. This rifle was first offered in DISA / Madsen catalogs in 1947, but initially found no buyers, as world arms markets were flooded with surplus rifles of the WW2 era, and the focus of military interests shifted from bolt action rifles towards semi-automatic and automatic rifles. In 1958 Colombian Navy made an order for Madsen Model 1947 rifles in caliber .30-06 US, but it appears that the service life of these rifles was rather short, and most were soon sold as surplus. Total production of the Madsen model 1947 rifles is estimated at around 5-6 thousands rifles. The Madsen model 1947 rifle is often called 'the last military bolt action rifle', as it was designed and manufactured when bolt-action rifles finally became obsolete as standard military rifles.

The Madsen model 1947 rifle is manually operated bolt action rifle. It uses rotary bolt action with dual locking lugs, located at the rear of the bolt body. Bolt lugs engage cuts, made on the inner receiver walls just behind the magazine housing. The cocking handle is located at the middle of the bolt and bent down for more comfortable carry. Manual safety is located at the rear of the bolt, and has two position. When it points to the left, rifle is ready to fire; when it points up, rifle is set to 'safe', it cannot fire and bolt is locked. Rifle is fed from integral, non-detachable box magazine that holds 5 rounds. Magazine is reloaded from the top, when the bolt is opened, using single rounds or stripper clips. Sighting equipment consist of the protected front sight and aperture type rear sight, which is adjustable for windage and range between 100 and 900 meters. To decrease felt recoil of the rifle, it is equipped with integral muzzle brake and a rubber buttplate. Other standard accessories include carrying slink and a knife type bayonet.

I've not tried to take them out, but it appears to me the locking lugs within the receiver are replaceable. Also, noted that Fuerzas Armadas de Columbia, doesn't mean Navy, (taking someone else's word, I don't do Spanish), but Armed Forces of Columbia. They're Danish Paratroop Carbines! I saw it in black and white! LOL I've not seen one of the slings.

-Thomas Jefferson