MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: RCBS .45 AR RN Dies 19005

Boolit Bub

RCBS .45 AR RN Dies 19005

Really dumb question time. I have bought a set of RCBS part 19005 45AR dies made in 1974. It contains a 45 AR Size #1 die. Is there a #2 size, and if so what is the difference? Can't see anything on the RCBS site. Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master
    There should be 3 dies,sizer either steel or carbide,expander die and a seater/taper crimp die. I suspect the number 1 on the die is to indicate the first step in the reloading process.

Boolit Master

According to RCBS, DocSavage is correct. Does your set have 45AR flaring and seat/crimp dies?

Boolit Master

A side point here: the RCBS 45 AR crimp die provided an actual roll crimp, one of the few such dies made by one of the majors. Auto Rim die sets are valuable for this die alone.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the feedback. The dies include decapper/sizer, a seater marked #3 and the #1 sizer mentioned above. Interestingly it will not seat a sized .454 projectile cast from a NOE mould but will effortlessly seat the same projectile sized to .452. I was using Starline .45AR brass.

Boolit Master

I think the best alternative for seating fat slugs is the Hornady sliding sleeve seater. The sleeves are simple cylinders with a stepped inside diameter for case neck and bullet, easy to alter or make from scratch, given access to the simplest of lathes.

I fought the battle some years back. The RCBS seating die won't accept bullets more than .452. I got an extra Lyman 45 ACP seating die on Ebay and could seat .454 bullets without any problems.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.