RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dial Caliper Service Companies

Boolit Master

Dial Caliper Service Companies

Anyone got a recommendation for Dial Caliper Service? I got a Caliper that has always had a issue keeping a crystal in. I would like to get it reseated professionally. It's a Brown & Sharpe if that makes a difference. Thank you.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

http://www.cpi1stop.com/mobile/mpage...epair-services

These guys used to do good work, I haven't had any dealings with them in about 10 years.

Try to do a search for measuring instrument repair. You may find someone closer.
    There used to be a repair house in Fort Wayne that had a pretty good rep, can't remember the name.

Boolit Master

Here you go: http://superiorgage.com/precision-in...gage+servicego

there in Okla. As a quality control manager I used them all the time for machine shop gage calibration and repair.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

I just looked at my B&S caliper I bought in the late 80's, it doesn't appear to have a retaining clip holding the bezel in place. I purchased a whole bag of replacement bezels back then because I need to replace mine about every 6 months.

PM me if you want to try a new bezel, maybe yours is just worn and won't stay in.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master
    Check the comments at Long Island Indicator Service.
    In the late 1960s we used to ship 5 or so indicators there for repair and they always did a great job. Now I think they refuse to repair most calipers.
    I have been a heavy user of calipers since 1968. I have used many brands. For home use a set of the Taiwan or Chinese calipers work well. I have a set that are about 15 years old that work fine. They are cheaper to replace than the cost and trouble of messing with repairing current calipers.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Even with Starret B&S Mititoyo chck replacement costs to repair quote and shipping, the combined is usually very close or above the cost to replace them

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I have been a heavy user of calipers since 1968. I have used many brands. For home use a set of the Taiwan or Chinese calipers work well. I have a set that are about 15 years old that work fine. They are cheaper to replace than the cost and trouble of messing with repairing current calipers.
    ^^ What he said! ^^ I've got a couple of sets of 'tuyos (including a 4" set with a small crack on the crystal) but I use my cheep imports marked Lyman (the stainless ones, not plastic) for most general work at home. One of the machine shop instructors I had said of dial calipers, "Well, they're a little more accurate than a yardstick..." so I don't use them for real accurate work.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Thank you everyone that responded. Excellently information. Much appreciated. My search turn up a couple of places in New York and I try my darndest to keep my money out of that state economy. Appreciate all the insight provided

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    yes being brown and sharpe would make a difference to me when i was still working i just loved brown and sharpe calipers mic's. starret is a good brand but they just don't have the feel on b&s. i used to get all my stuff repaired locally but company is no longer in business sorry can't help on that.

Boolit Grand Master

Not a single supplier or contact I used during the 40+ years I worked, still exist. Is there a cause and effect thing going on?
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

Look for "M.R. Tool Repair", Mark Ratkowski, on FB. He serves the machinist community in repair of dial indicators and such, and gets high reviews from them. Message him your request.

alittle superglue should square it away. on the other hand, dial calipers are somewhat inexpensive, you can get another set...

Boolit Master

For the cost of a repair, you getting a new one will likely be a cheaper route. I quit B&S when they moved to Brasil, quality went way down.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Going with the Oklahoma folks, emailed them a couple times today. Received answers in under thirty minutes each time. That's actually pretty cool. I asked to join the Facebook one as well since they seem to be a vanishing breed.
    As for super glue, I think the super glue has a reaction to the crystal and causes it to turn at worst opaque and possibly hazy. Never had good results with super glue and clear plastic. Freaking outstanding results with it and arrow fletchings though.
    I understand there are cheaper routes but there is a whole lot of life left in this one. It would be my primary if the crystal would stay in place. My Starrett tends to collect dust in the tracking system as sometimes I don't get it back in the case fast enough not to forget I have sitting out. Have a fantastic day.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

What our plant found with dial /digital calipers, indicators, digital mikes and other tools was after being sent out for repair or rebuild some still wouldn't pass calibration standards for our certification. considering the lead time and cost it was easier to buy new. We did have some that were sent out for repairs or rebuild but that was rare. On I remember was a set of 6ft Mityoyo digital calipers. On indicators the last word type often replacing the finger/point fixed them, in use they developed a flat spot that caused problems.

Boolit Master
    Much of the precision industry has left the US.
    There is little point in paying $150 for calipers used at home when $20 calipers work fine.
    The US machine tool and measuring instrument industries were in the highest cost region of the country. They priced themselves out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Not a single supplier or contact I used during the 40+ years I worked, still exist. Is there a cause and effect thing going on?
    EDG

There should be a Calibration Lab in just about every city that has any significant amount of manufacturing.

Instrument Calibration is an integral part of the Machine Shop and Manufacturing Industry.

I don't know where exactly Duncan is however I'm sure there are businesses that do this in Tulsa and Okie City so you might look around there.

Try googling "Instrument Calibration in your area" I just did this a couple of weeks ago and found 5 different places within 20 miles of me that I never knew existed.

Here's one in Tulsa. https://www.tek.com/calibration-serv...source=google&

And I'm sure there are others. All calibration outfits will tune your calipers up and replace a bezel as part of the service. I just had mine done. $25!

Don't allow more than $50 and even that is too much. Plenty of places to look at.

hope this helps.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I know that many of you use some pretty high price calipers. I don't have that luxury and purchased some Hornady calipers a few years ago to replace my old ones. About a month ago, one set went "south" for no apparent reason and would not calibrate correctly. I couldn't return them to Cabela's where purchased from so I took a shot and emailed Hornady directly. I did so last night and today I received an email saying they have shipped me a new set! That impressed me! I have a few Hornady tools related to reloading (except press). They definitely stand behind their products!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

I tried to get through the B&S website to see about getting my B&S calipers recalibrated, no response. looked up the Phone#, called and was told they no longer do repair work, just buy a new set.
    So much for good business practices.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Try a search for "Wichita, Ks micrometer calibration", there might be more in OK somewhere, but Wichita got a good number of hit. I hear what you say about the B&S for feel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast