Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dial Caliper Service Companies

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I tried to get through the B&S website to see about getting my B&S calipers recalibrated, no response. looked up the Phone#, called and was told they no longer do repair work, just buy a new set.
    So much for good business practices.
    Try RIS Enterprises in Oxnard. He also has a lab in Chatsworth. He just did several of my inspection tools and did a great job and was reasonable. Nice older guy, hard to understand (from India) but is super sharp.

805-981-7902 info@risenterprises.com

If you're in the northern part of LA it would be a short trip to see him in Chatsworth.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I think you are going to find there are few to no repair parts available for older calipers. I have an older Starrett set that are now only fit for a straight edge since no one will repair them.
    I live near a metro area of over a million people. We had to have our own metrology lab. The nearest repair shop was 165 miles away.
    EDG

The B&SD calipers were essentially Cheaper made versions of the Swiss Tesa Calipers. The main difference was the B&S models had plastic pinion gears that were easily ruined.

Then B&S bought Tesa and all of them were made cheap. I got lucky and bought my Tesa caliper used and they were made a few years before the Swiss sold out. I still use them everyday and they will last a lifetime if taken car of.

That said, just about any brand of dial calipers will last a long time if taken care of. Keeping dirt out and keeping them in thier cse when not in use is the key.

As far a s calibration goes you can do this yourself by simply Cleaning the faces of the calipers with your fingers and closing them, then adjust the dial to zero. Then if you have a known standard you can check them at 2-6 " and see if they are still there.

This is more than accurate enough for any reloading purpose.

I can use calipers to +/-.001-2. I have been doing it for 40+ years.

Most probably can't, and so thinking you can accurately measure to .0005 or less with dial calipers is fiction.

That's what micrometers are for.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    GONRA is being unusually snotty - but sez to go to Harbor Freight and get a new ELECTRONIC caliper.
    (Save the olde one for nostalgia. Use a MICROMETER for diameters.)

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    GONRA is being unusually snotty - but sez to go to Harbor Freight and get a new ELECTRONIC caliper.
    (Save the olde one for nostalgia. Use a MICROMETER for diameters.)
    GONRA, in this case I think it’s realistic rather than snotty, buuuttt, I’d still go for even cheap dial calipers over the electronics... seems like my last (odd sizes) battery always goes dead when I’m planning to do a bunch of measurements.

I’ve never had a battery go dead on a dial caliper! I figure with my old well used Mitotuyo dial calipers (6”) and 1” ‘tuyo mics by the lathe, I’m good for most necessary measurements, then the 1”-5” Starrett mics can come out of the Gerstner and take over if needed.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

For just the bezel repair you might check with a local jeweler. He might handle it quickly and reasonably.

In reality accuracy is much more today than it was years ago. For years a caliper or mike that measured to the shops standards was accurate. Now it needs to measure to standards set to the national set or a world set. ISO has it so 1" is now 1" anywhere. No its not needed for reloading but that's the standards now in manufacturing so a part that's made in mexico fits an part made in korea Italy or the USA. International standards have raised the bar. Now part of the paper work with pin gages and gage blocks is the lineage to what standards they were made to.

Boolit Master
    veneer calipers are fine for what they are, get a good micrometer and standard and never look back

Boolit Master

Veneer calipers are fine for measuring veneer and other wood working projects, but vernier calipers(if you can find good ones) are better for most reloading measurements. Dial or electronic calipers are quicker to read than vernier calipers. Where tenths accuracy is required, use micrometers; but they are not the correct instrument for checking overall length of brass or cartridges.

Boolit Master
    The last set of Mitutoyos I purchased were out by several thou at 3 - 4 inches. Called Mitutoyo repair service and they wanted new price to repair them. I will no longer buy their products. Starrett's quality used to be good, but some of the last items I bought from them (several years ago) seem to have lost their quality control. I still use my Starrett's that I purchased more than 40 years ago, though I have had to have them repaired several times from being dropped.

I like Brown and Sharpe, but haven't purchased anything new for many years.

As has been said before, quality doesn't seem to be what it once was. Tool and die industry has sadly gone away in many parts of the country, especially in California, and much of it has to do with government regulation in industry. A lot of it is also due to youngsters not willing to put in the time to truly learn the trade. If you can't push a button, then they are not interested.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12