WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Taurus 63 revisited

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Taurus 63 revisited

Well my previous thread on the Taurus 63 was rather inconclusive and given it has been read many times I guess I need to ask the question this way; If you had the choice between a nearly new Taurus 63 for $325 and a good condition WIN 63 for $470, which would you choose? I realize condition is quite subjective but I'm using my judgement on that. The WIN has some wear and tear but most of it seems age related rather then usage and has an excellent bore.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Super Moderator

Winchester 63 hands down. Parts are still readily available for it, should you ever need any.

The Winchester, no doubt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The Winchesters were made from 1933 -1958 and since I don't know when it was made I personally wouldn't buy it unless I was convinced that it was the best that I would settle for.
    On page 29 is a list of serial numbers by production year:--->>> http://www.winchesterguns.com/conten...-Documents.pdf

The Miroku Winchester 63's are the best quality and most accurate and also the most expensive since they were only made for a short time.
    Some had a factory recall for a firing pin fix but they're all basically great and accurate guns.
    But their price is too high for what it is so nix that.

That would leave me to find the best looking Taurus Model 63 that I could.
    I found a stainless Taurus Model 63 on Gunbroker with beautiful wood for $425.00.
    It's being auctioned by a pawnshop and the ad states that since it can be sold at anytime, to call them with the auction number to inquire.
    I would buy that Taurus stainless Model 63 before I would buy an original sight unseen by me for the same price.
    And I looked at some originals on Gunbroker too.
    The pawnshop also accepts trades
    The Gunbroker auction number is 780085661.--->>> https://www.gunbroker.com/item/780085661

Here's a post by someone who loves their stainless Taurus Model 63, and he's not alone.--->>> https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=53

Or just buy the nicest blue Taurus Model 63 that you're willing to settle for.
    Since the one that you found looks like new then buy it.
    The worst that could happen is that you rent it for a while and maybe lose a few bucks.
    Or you could end up loving it for a long time.
    That's my .02.
    Last edited by arcticap; 09-22-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Boolit Master

For an extra $150? The Winchester. It would be worth having the discussion if the difference was more like $400+, but a clean 63 at $470 is a good buy. Not even a question for that little difference. You might need a new firing pin (easy) because the only way to prevent dry fire strikes is to count. Wolff makes replacement charging and recoil springs (also easy). The rest of the gun is an ABSOLUTE TANK of Olde Schoole gunsmithing. If the bore is well cared for, and you don't reveal any neglect-inflicted cooties with a field strip and look at the mag parts, you are darned unlikely to find anything broken.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Taurus Lifetime Repair Policy

I'm not positive if the Taurus Model 63 is covered by their Lifetime Repair Policy or not, but it very well could be.
    According to the policy:

"...The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy™ is a commitment to repair selected Taurus firearm models FREE OF CHARGE for the lifetime of the firearm.....
    ...The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy extends to all Taurus USA firearm models in production prior to January 1, 2017...." --->>> https://www.taurususa.com/repair-policy.cfm

If there's any question, contact Taurus to see if it qualifies for the free lifetime repairs or not.
    Last edited by arcticap; 09-24-2018 at 12:58 AM.