WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: Little Dandy

Boolit Master

Little Dandy

Does anyone make a baffle for the lil Dandy powder measure?

While in at how do you keep the reservoir from being knocked off?
    Last edited by jdfoxinc; 09-21-2018 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Added question.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Grand Master
    The reservoir is a friction fit, and absent cracking at the base or very rough handling, that's all you need. I've seen patterns for cutting a baffle out of a beer can (or soda can if you're a tee-totaler) and you might do a search of this site for something like "Baffle Patterns" I've never felt sufficient need of a baffle to make one for myself, but it looks pretty simple.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Yeah there's a crack in the base of the plastic tube. I adjusted my bailyboat rotor to drop 5.9gr unique with the tube 1/4 full. It dropped consistently even 1/2 full. (Loading short runs.) T9day I filled it up and weighed the drop. 6.3/6.5gr. Poured 9ff 1/2 of the powder dropped 3 loads then weighed a single drop back to a. 9gr.

Boolit Master
    My first lil fandy rolled off the bench and cracked the res at the bottom. Being frugal, i wrapped it 3 times round with packing tape. That was in the 80s, did the same with my second a fee years back, just as insurance.
    Interesting on the variation, scissors and a beer can then test again. I am curious as to the result, I love the lil things!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

You can cut them out of aluminum cans, plastic soda bottles, flashing or shim stock. If want to experiment with different sizes or form a index card makes a nice temporary baffle, and when you find the perfect desighn a good template to make a permanent one.

All you need are your reloading calipers, a set of dividers or compass, a good scale ( ruler) and piece of wood. scissors tinsnips or an exacto knife.

1) measure the inside of your tube with the calipers, check in several directions, write this number down
    2) set dividers or calipers to half the above dimension
    3) tape material down to flat piece of wood
    4) lay out a straight line half dia + .250
    5) mark the first circle with the dividers using the straight line for enter in one direction.
    6) mark a point on straight line 1/2" - 3/4" from center of the first circle and scribe the second circle
    7) with the ruler as a straight edge tie the outside edges of the circles together. You now have and oval laid out
    8) a small vee needs to be laid out in each radius on center line 1/4 wide ad 1/4 deep is a good start
    9) cut out carefully and deburr edges
    10) fold to a 45* angle over a square edge or the ruler
    The above makes a vee shaped baffle with 2 drop holes on the edges, this works well but makes pouring powder out harder since the vee holds it below the drop holes.

An angled baffle is made the same as above but only 1/8"-1/4" between centers is needed. and only one drop hole needs to be cut. I usually was and dry clear soda bottle out with a flat seton in the middle. cut out the flat section and split it clamp between 2 boards for a day or two to make it close to flat. Tape down to flat boards and lay out.

I prefer the double point dividers for lay out as the points give a finer line than the pencil compass does, I also find them easier to set to the calipers for a given size. The plastic bottles give a nice spring tension to hold in place and don't scratch the tube when sliding in or out.

Boolit Master

use a fender washer .25 bolt hole and file is down to fit.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Contact RCBS Customer Service.

If your old clear green powder reservoir is cracked they will send you a free, new, clear replacement.

All you need to do is ask.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    There is a .pdf file from another newsgroup I ran across a few years ago. It has templates for all sizes of powder measures. I'm not sure if posting a link here is allowed, but if you Google "make your own powder baffle" you'll find it.

Boolit Master
    i just set a funnel with a moderate size tip on the measure. The powder weight is in the funnel and the tip is about half-way down the reservoir.
    Loren

Boolit Grand Master

A funnel can be cut down to fit in the hopper with a lightly snug fit and a wire ring with 2 legs made to support it, or a small clear tube bushing so its at the proper height. There are many ways to make a baffle. The big thing with one is finding the height of the baffle your measure wants to run its best. I have seen the rcbs powder funnels used for this. set in top of hopper and scribe a line at the meeting point. cut proud and fit with a file. then a ring from a clear plastic bottle to help support it. Cuts need to be square and accurate.

Keep in mind when using a measure with a baffle when the powder drops below baffle charges can vary again do to a lighter "head" pressure. And emptying a baffled measure can take more playing to empty.

When my Little Dandy powder tube cracked, RCBS sent me another free of charge, just like the man said.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Bub
    Uncle Nick's Powder Baffles......

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Contact RCBS Customer Service.

If your old clear green powder reservoir is cracked they will send you a free, new, clear replacement.

All you need to do is ask.
    They did it for me TWICE! Both times I dropped it and told them so, but they wouldn't take my money.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Mold

Baffle plans

Here is the .pdf of Uncle Nick's powder baffles.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Boolit Master
    Got it. Thanks.

I use a powder weight that I bought on Ebay. I use these weights in my Lyman 55s and Little Dandy. They really work, and provide very uniform charge throws, if you action on the drum is uniform.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-Little...:rk:1:razz:f:0
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.