Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Powder coating and has checks

Boolit Bub

Powder coating and has checks

I have a small issue. I have a Lyman 410610 mold that throws a 215 (+/-) gr GC bullet. If I powder coat this bullet, can I eliminate the gas check and still push this bullet at magnum velocities (under 1250fps) without fear of leading?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Boolit Master

Dunno why not. I shoot PC'd plain-base boolits in both my leverguns...a .357 and a .44...at well over 1200 fps without any leading issues. Accuracy from both guns is equal (or slightly better) with PC to what I get sized & lubed.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

I shoot my 500 S/W 440 grainers powder coated with no gas checks and no leading. Actually seems a tad more accurate without the checks. Right at 1500 fps.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Vendor Sponsor

In short very likely .. Now Fit and load will determine for sure .. you may need to do a little testing and adjustment
    do small batches till you have the process down
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    If it sets your mind to rest I have fired plain base powder coated bullets at 3500+ fps without leading and PC pure lead at 1400 fps with no leading. I only use quality powders for powder coating, not Harbor Freight.
    As long as the coating is cured properly it is not a problem as it will seal and protect just as well if not better than a gas check. However, a bullet designed for a gas check is not going to have a flat base like a check provides so accuracy will typically suffer as distance increases, but it shoots just fine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    In short very likely .. Now Fit and load will determine for sure .. you may need to do a little testing and adjustment
    do small batches till you have the process down
    Yes I have a lot more testing to do. Haven't been able to shoot much lately and it's driving me nuts lol! When I used to be self employed.....well you can imagine!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    If it sets your mind to rest I have fired plain base powder coated bullets at 3500+ fps without leading and PC pure lead at 1400 fps with no leading. I only use quality powders for powder coating, not Harbor Freight.
    As long as the coating is cured properly it is not a problem as it will seal and protect just as well if not better than a gas check. However, a bullet designed for a gas check is not going to have a flat base like a check provides so accuracy will typically suffer as distance increases, but it shoots just fine.
    I'm a firm believer in quality powder coat! Going to test "Smoke's" powder and see if it's better than Eastwood.

Boolit Master
    I have and Eastwood Dual Voltage Gun and I recommend it, but I have never used Eastwood Powders. I would think that Eastwood would sell quality powders, but powders not necessarily good for tumbling. I have been PC since 2012 and have tried a number of powders from several different sources. There are powders that will tumble coat really well and some that just work and some that will not tumble coat at all, but spray great. I tried even tried Harbor Freight once. When you get to the point you want some exotic color of finish I would look at Prismatic Powder. But for those here that are just coating bullets, either tumble or spray coated, the powders from Smoke are proven to work and that is what I recommend. After you get the process down that is the time to experiment, not before.

Boolit Master

These are coated once with Eastwood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170612_191543.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	227702

Boolit Buddy
    WHat color is that green one on the left?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by asmith80 View Post
    WHat color is that green one on the left?
    Correction:
    Powder Mirror Green 1 Lb
    10293LB 11.29 per lb.
    Last edited by Dieselhorses; 09-24-2018 at 07:32 PM.

So let me get this straight - if I have GC bullets that are PC'd and I DON'T use GC's, it is OK?
    I am talking 25-20 WCF here. Not 4000fps velocities.
    I thought MAYBE using a Star sizer to put the GC's on would work, but somehow that seems counter intuitive. It could strip the PC from the drive bands.
    Thoughts?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    The PC acts as a jacket so it seals & protects like a jacket. The problem is an accuracy issue, as a GC bullet's base is not flat and uniform without a check. As far as shooting they will work fine, but where they hit is another story.

Boolit Master

If you don't use a gas check there is more chance of gas cutting, BUT if your bullet fit is at it's "sweet spot" there is little or no chance of gas cutting due to good obturation. But like Dragonheart mentioned it may affect accuracy.

But the question is CAN I put gas checks on the bullets? They are already powder coated just waiting for a GC. Is there any way to put the GC's without damaging the PC on the drive bands? All I have is a Star sizer and my gut tells me that won't work because it will resize the drive bands to .258 but probably strip the PC off.
    I really want to use the bullets with GC's in the 25-20 but maybe not........
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    But the question is CAN I put gas checks on the bullets? They are already powder coated just waiting for a GC. Is there any way to put the GC's without damaging the PC on the drive bands? All I have is a Star sizer and my gut tells me that won't work because it will resize the drive bands to .258 but probably strip the PC off.
    Yes you can use gc's with sizer but if the sizer is going to make bullets too small for your barrel then I wouldn't. Bullet obturation is more important. And under any circumstances it will be difficult to mar the surface of powdercoating. One idea would be to gas check the coated bullets, then coat them again. Not because the surface was damaged but to get them .001 bigger. I'm starting to wonder if there is some gizmo out there that will install a gas check without sizing the bullet, any one hear of such?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The problem you may have is getting a check on as the PC has increased the diameter of the bullet including the GC base. If it will go on and can be set perpendicular and flat I would do as suggested and just do another PC.
    I spray my GC bullets so the check area is not coated. I use a sheetmetal pan with holes cut in the pan the same size as my bullets GC base. The bullets GC base fits in the holes and are held in place.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1811_1_1.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	228332

Boolit Master

It isn't gonna hurt to try and see. You may find some residue in the bore....

For me if its got provisions GC it should have a GC. I don't have good luck with rifle calibers made for a GC shooting them W/O a GC.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Attachment 228432
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I cast a 290 gr NOE for my 454 that drops from the mold at .455 and after powder coating, it measures .457. I put the GC on and size it to .452 with no stripping of the PC at all. I use the shake and bake method (400 degrees for 20 min), and size with a Lee push through die. I would try it to see but I'll bet you don't strip any PC off. That stuff is tougher that woodpecker lips. Shown are some 300gr Lee's that I coated for the 460S&W with no ill effects to the pc when sized to .452
    As a side note, I have driven this boolit 1900 fps from a T/C Encore 15" barrel and it doesn't lead one bit.
    Last edited by murf205; 10-08-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    Yesterday sized down the NOE GCFN 290 made of 50-50 (WW-range scrap) with GC attached before coating. Cooked at 400 for 13 minutes. They easily sized with GC attached from about .4575 down to .454 for use in a Colt New Service caliber 45 Colt. One coat of Smoke's powder.
    Just loaded a batch of the same slug but unsized for a nice old Interarms Rossi 92 24" 1/2 round / octagon that likes fat cast.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.